United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
This is one of the things that has always concerned me about ED and why I chose once again, not to do ED with my M5 order. It's a great program and I'm sure it's a blast driving your own car around Europe, but production dates have a way of slipping, particularly on any special order and that makes it hard to keep an itinerary.

Stealth.Pilot, for what its worth, I'm going Silverstone and I actually think it's a better color for the M5 than the BMW Platinum interior leather.
I'm going with Silverstone too. I prefer some of the individual colors, but didn't want to spend the extra $5K or deal with the production date uncertainty.

By the way, I'd rather drive a nice rental car on my own schedule in Europe (or use their great public transportation). Too much risk of damage and hassle with ED in my opinion.

My advice would be to get a US-delivery car instead... You'll also get the car sooner that way, and pay only if everything is to your satisfaction when you examine the car.
The vacation element driving our own car is something I am as excited about as the M5. This is one of the main reasons I am upgrading my Dinan 550i M-Sport with less than a year of ownership. So US delivery is not an option.

Regarding the color, I could live with Silverstone, but it is definitely a gray not a white. Platinum and Opal White are the only whites in the BMW portfolio.

I am fairly clear about this because I spent a whole day driving a Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 with a Full Silverstone interior last year in Spain. Maybe it was the aluminum trim rather than the gray leather, but the impression I had of that Silverstone/aluminum interior is that it seemed cheap to my eyes. Its not cheap, but thats the way it appears to me. The color just seems off, as if they were trying for white, but couldn't pull it off.

I could live with it, but I won't like it. So I have told BMW if they can get me a pickup of the car I want on 9/14 then I will stick with my spec. If it takes longer, then I will settle for Silverstone since I can't wait any later before the weather starts to get cold. It's a trade off between quality vacation dates and preferred interior design.
Appreciate 0