View Single Post
      12-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
My bias is that I like the 601s better, so I bought them. After having them for four months, I am even more convinced I made the right choice -- short of and $8K set of aftermarket wheels, these are the one visible thing that sets this car off as different from any other 5 body at any viewing distance. Given the color on the 601s, I think they would be the best looking wheels to put on SG.

The 343s are very nice, dont get me wrong, but they are available on 4 different BMW cars, and there are very similar 5 spoke designs on even more models of BMW -- The 601 is on the M5/6 CPs only -- meaning its not a wheel design seen that often. I dont notice the extra weight of the cast wheel, but not having owned a car with 343s ignorance is bliss.

As for the powder coating, I think black wheels definitely will give you more attention, but what is the full look you are going for? I like the black wheels on white/grey/SS because it provides contrast. On the dark colors, MCB, sing grey, etc. if you go black wheels then I would go the full murdered-out route, which at presetn is a bit problematic. To me, nothing looks worse than full black/ferric colored wheels with chrome grills, door handles, side vents, etc - it sends a mixed message to the viewers eye. Right now the problem with 14's is that there is no availability of black chrome accents, and only limited options/availability on blacking out door handles and front grills.
Lots of good points here. I have the 601s and think they look great in person and there is the element of them being more "special". They are being shod with my winter rubber (Pirelli Sottozeros) and when spring comes, I will likely pull the trigger on some HREs or BBSs for my summer set up. I am thinking that I might try powercoating the 601s in a gunmetal finish while they are off the car in the summer. Also agree with B-1 in that the chrome will need to go. All I have left to addres is the door handles.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0