05-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #101
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djosephs View Post
Personally, the aluminum trim looks so much better. I did that with black leather on my X6M. I think it gives a sportier look and brings out the lines of the interior better. I think people have raised a minor complaint that the glossy black shows smudges and requires frequent cleaning. I can say the aluminum doesn't have that issue. The metal does get a bit hot when the car has been parked in the heat. The aluminum with the sahkir orange is a great combo!

EDIT: I think my aluminum trim on my X6M might be different thank what you will get on your M5. My aluminum trim is horizontal brushed aluminum and is quite subtle. It does not have the vertical striations that the pic someone posted has. I am not sure that I would like the vertical stripes but the aluminum trim that I have is awesome. The pic that someone posted may have had aftermarket aluminum trim on there.
It sounds like the X6M trim is similar if not identical to the M3's; I too have the subtle horizontal brush effect on an otherwise solid block of aluminum. The M5's is absolutely different, and is definitely a more complex and intricate aluminum than mine. I think the trim I have on my M3 is better for an M3, but the M5's aluminum suits the 5 Series character very well, better than the M3's trim would. As SleepTight described elsewhere, the M5's aluminum has detailing on the level of a fine jewelry watch, very beautiful.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0