11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme View Post
Its possible that someone did not put the car in gear and also did not pull the parking brake, so the car slid backward?

Who knows? I am looking over the manifest, it says rear bumper panel. What exactly is that? I think its the bumper cover.

Just find it strange that the replaced the bumper cover but overlooked the diffuser.

I don't have much time to drive my car this week. I am flying out to HKG on saturday evening for business trip.
I think the part you need replaced is referred to as an "insert" (P/N 51 12 8 038 981) in the BMW parts list. It's a simple bolt-in piece.

The "rear bumper panel" (P/N 51 12 8 048 594) is indeed the entire rear bumper cover (the big plastic piece that is just a cover that goes over the actual rear bumper, the thing most of us call the rear bumper).

When repairing cars the VPC prefers to put new pieces on rather than trying to repair a damaged item. I know a recent car where the ED owner put a small nick in the lip of the wheel before dropping the car for shipment; the VPC just put a new wheel on rather than repairing the nick. They'd probably just put a new "diffuser" on the car. Your dealer could probably do it (once they get the part).
Appreciate 0