06-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #53
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius View Post
It is funny that Americans judge themselves "hardcore" manual transmission fans, but actually Europe has a much higher manual transmission mix than the U.S. where most countries they would not even allow you to take the driver's license test in an automatic car. The only reason people say they demand a manual here is not because they actually prefer the manual transmission, but because they either let themselves get influenced by stupid car magazines or because they want show off their friends they are "hardcore" car enthusiasts. I grew up driving stick shifts in the early 90s and did not change to another transmission until 2004 with my first BMW with SMG and never looked back. I understand regular automatics suck, but DSG is the future and provide the same driving pleasure of a manual transmission with some many advantages such as more gears, quicker shifts, automatic rev matches, higher fuel economy etc. and still allow people to move thru the gears with a stick. Let's stop this non sense people please.
That's definitely true. A large amount of people here in the states (and on this forum) have an elitist mentality about being able to drive manual. According to them it makes you more of a man.

But I still think everyone should have options and be able to select what they like. I guess BMW knows whats best for their product but people are correct in saying it would make the M5 less differentiated from other sedans. Then again this is 2018/2019 we're talking about so who knows what will change between now and then.
Appreciate 0