Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Would you say the car is now difficult to achieve a smooth/non-aggressive setting? For example, anything close to the non-tuned efficient setting. I'm interested in this tune, but don't want my wife complaining that it behaves like a rabid animal. On a similar note, any idea how negative the MPG impact is? Obviously, that's not a major concern with this type of car, but I'm curious.
Smooth and non-aggressive don't have to be mutually exclusive by any means. We believe the Dinan tune is just as smooth as a stock car. In fact if you were to drive a Dinan tuned car before ever driving one that was legitimately stock we are pretty positive you would think the Dinan tuned version was how the car came from the factory. The fact of the matter is the tune delivers the same fluid power as stock, just more of it. The wife angle is a bit subjective but I know of a few posters on here that have their wives drive the car all the time and they don't seem to mind. Some actually enjoy the extra power even more. Irregardless, a Dinan tuned M5 is not an untamed animal that can't be controlled... unless you want it to be that is.

In regards to fuel economy there is practically no difference in MPG. The problem is that when you know you get extra power you want to use it. So you spend a lot more time mashing the gas and cruising at WOT which WILL negatively impact the fuel economy. Once that initial need to consistently do this goes away and you go back to your normal driving habits you will find the fuel economy is nearly identical to pre-tune.
Appreciate 0