06-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #104
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzer S13GT View Post
Its on their agenda now. You're thinking to much about physical pairing of cylinders to inputs on the turbos flange. Its about keeping the exhaust pulses from the engines separate cylinders from interfering with one another. To be Specific: paired cylinders that fire at the same time. You could have 2 paired cylinders firing at once into the two separate scroll inputs, and the third can fire into the next input, which ever being the most efficient. They are currently even putting a twin scroll on a 3 cylinder, in addition to 2 twins on a 6. Besides... BMW doesn't understand the term "OVER ENGINEER"!
Interesting. I think it would be more efficient to have three cylinders constantly swapping between two scrolls (nevermind the engineering mechanics behind making this happen). So what I mean is, you have 3 cylinders and 2 scrolls. Cylinder 1 fires into scroll 1, cylinder 2 fires into scroll 2, cylinder 3 fires into scroll 1, cylinder 1 fires into scroll 2, cylinder 2 fires into scroll 1, cylinder three fires into scroll 2, etc. etc.

I wonder if this could be accomplished using a simple "gate". In other words, every time a cylinder fires, it switches the gate to the other scroll.

Illustration:

|/| |\| |/|
^->^->^

lol, I suck. I'm not sure that illustration helps at all.
Appreciate 0