09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd
Here's mine. Coming from an E92 6MT M3 but still have my Prius and GT3RS. Previously owned a GTR and Evo IX MR. Here's my take.

After the GTR and Prius I decided to not go with DCT. So was that a good decision? HELLS YEAH!!! but I must warn people who have been driving automatics for a while. Until you get used to driving a manual again, the first day you will feel like the shifting is taking away from the comfort of the car and you won't feel relaxed because you're constantly pumping your leg. What's the point of all that leather, bang olufson etc, when you're constantly working out you left calf. It's like having a wood paneled and leather upholstered workout gym...why? BUT, once you get used to it. you will LOVE it. I am SOOOO glad I went with the manual. With DCT you can't go from 6th to 3rd directly. I understand in racing you don't but with a 6MT and on the highway, you can Cruising down the highway, I constantly find myself shifting with my fingers, throttling and surging the car forward swirling around traffic kinda like when i'm twiddling my pen around my fingers when in a meeting. It's just fun It's turbocharged so there is noticeable lag. As an Evo or any turbo car, once you know when to expect it, you adjust your perception of the drive. It's basically the reverse of the RS. The RS' power is immediate then revs out with alot of noise but no thrust. The M5 has no power at first jab but then HUGE thrust afterwards.

Steering is almost a carbon copy of the M3. Fat steering wheel and somewhat artificial but feels good nonetheless. Although the RS' steering is telepathic, I would not want it on my commute. It's ironic, the better the steering, the cheaper it feels. The reason why the Evo felt so great because it belongs to an econobox.

For those of you up in the air, you have to ask yourself what you want. If you want an all around great car, status symbol etc, get the DCT. The DCT by default will rush to the highest gear as soon as possible similar to the GTR. Comfortable, calm like a 535i until you need M5 power. The DCT hides the stress of controlling all that power and does it well. You have no choice with the 6MT. It is a muscle car ALL THE TIME. Managing 560hp to clutch is all on you. It was stressful in the beginning because you feel like you're going to lurch violently into a bunch of innocent civilians walking in front of you at a red light if you are hovering in 1st The only thing saving everyone is turbo lag lol. If I had the DCT, i would feel great knowing I have a great car and know that Mr Hyde is waiting to come out. But with the 6MT, I want to drive it ALL the time and Dr Jekyll is nowhere to be found . I'm gonna go take her out for a spin now

Side notes. Auto stop also disables power steering (makes sense). I learned that when coasting in neutral and couldn't turn lol. When I did force the steering wheel to turn the engine started again lol. It usually starts by engaging the clutch. Traction control is really conservative so i leave it disabled all the time. I realized I don't like HUD and hate the reflection of the HUD frame on the windshield

Just made my day with this review on the MT!! I am awaiting mine now and this type of post makes me go nuts!!!!
Appreciate 0