04-15-2019, 05:39 AM   #12
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowkick View Post
I kind of understand what you saying but when I buy a car - any car for that matter - it should be able to take any type of surface. Unless manufacturers will distinguish and align specific cars to specific types of road surface, I will keep on buying my cars and expecting the same comfort/quality regardless of the surface I am driving on.
i feel ya, but when you drive a rolls royce u expect to feel and hear nothing which is suited for passengers, who will in turn rave about how smooth it rides.

but when a driver gets behind the wheel and communicates the feel and driving experience of the rolls, they will say: muted, vague, disconnected.. because no matter what surface they're on, or how big the pothole is, they don't feel it, they just waft over it.

in a driver-oriented car like an M5, calling the steering muted or disconnected is an insult. like Jeremy Clarkson said in his review of an M5 "when a non-car person rides in this they say the ride is bad,.. Clarkson then says "but its actually very good (& he means for the type of car(high perf) the ride is very good) but non-car ppl dont know that bc they dont care about cars or driving, they just want a marshmallow to transport them from point A to B at all times.

Doug Demuro also says "no matter how good you think the roads are where you live, when you get a sports car you realize they arent very good at all"

but while you are driving on the surface that makes the buzzing, have you tried switching from sport+ to comfort and vice versa to notice a shift in intensity of the buzzing?

and this has gotten me thinking more. can everyone reading this chime in on if their car doesnt do this on textured concrete/pavement?

but as i think more im convincing myself bmw meant for the wheel to buzz on buzzy surfaces and communicate that way bc in other, average cars, when I drive on interstate concrete they buzz too, but what buzzes is the tires.. but in the M5 i hear no road noise or tires buzzing and instead its all just fed directly to my hands via the steering wheel via the tires via the road.

But maybe you should look into a buick if you want the same smooth feel on every surface. i hear they make very soft rides. like a cloud. Then whenever you get to where you are going you can brag about how you rode a pillow all the way there, and then ask if they have white New Balance in size 9 in stock.. lol im just busting your balls but i have a point... in cars like M5's (and the M is the smoothest) you are gonna feel the road and not always be embedded in total comfort

you ever driven/ridden in a corvette, camaro, or mustang of any spec? hi or lo perf?? ....ill keep my buzzy steering wheel

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 04-15-2019 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60072.50