10-04-2017, 02:35 AM   #38
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Interesting enough
I had an x5 that every 2-3k used to require a quart..
And babied it during Break In

Whike this M5
I didn't hurt it while In Break In but certainly didn't baby it and was in 5k RPM so often and it was delivered to my hoise after 400 miles of Highway driving !

And now at 8k
I drive it very hard whike not warmed up even red line it because my commutes are shirt and if I wait till warm I won't be able to drive it the way I want once a week !!
Noted that Oil Level Was exactly between Max and Minimum and didn't ask for oil.

Now almost 1k mikes after 7k service (Yes as went early for screen replacement and they did service 2k miles before due- Goooood

Now still at Max and 1k miles after service and I drive it very hard (MPG 15.2 and no traffic - and I use it as DD too !

I believe it is the luck of the draw!
No consistent reports and seems anecdotal to me how you break it in, how you baby it, how you drive it !!
It is M5 meant to be driven like a sports car!! Because it is a sports sedan!!
I have three S63 engine cars currently, M5 and X5M in Taiwan and M6 in the US, none have oil consumption problems. I don't baby it during break-in but nor do I abuse it. I did a few red-line pulls for the first 200km, and changed oil, and then vary RPM as much as possible for the first 2000km (which meant I avoid freeway driving).
Appreciate 0