Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA View Post
That's true.

But the design was set by the avant-garde design strategy - which was set sometimes in mid 90s. Prepared & developed by many people from other departments as well (finance, marketing, finance, production, R&D etc).

And every design is based on guidelines set by marketing & engineering department - they create a basic frame for the design. Chassis & body dimensions etc. - all determined. Designers get the body already developed - they just have to "dress" it. So, the bulky E65 7er was bulky due engineers, not designers etc.

Yes, it's true Bangle oversaw, tutored & guided design teams in the process. But in the end it was the Board of Director who picked from the various design proposal - in every stage. Up until the very final design proposal. And Bangle was the link between designers & top managers from the Board: he was told what to do, what to change, what the Board expects etc. And they did that. Of course he advocated the proposals - but that was his job.

But definitely Bangle believed strongly in sharp avant-garde design language for BMW. And so did the Board.

Often Bangle is given wrong credits. Either too many, or too little. Usually media get it completely wrong ... mixing all up.

sounds nice
but in the time he was head of design
they made the worst looking BMW's in recent history (since the E30 days)
and this is a widespread view by many consumers and his peers
and most car websites/magazines
yes BMW sold more cars
but then again their cars were also above and beyond the competition
so i don't think the increase in sales was simply to having a huge butt (bangle butt) or the flame surfacing.

i love my M3
it gives me 10 times more enjoyment than my Audi A5 that i only owned for 6 months ever did
but based on looks alone, the M3 loses bigtime
i'm not saying its ugly, far from it
but if i gave the M3 7/10 the Audi would easily score a 9 for looks
and i got far more comments on the Audi's looks than the M3's
Appreciate 0