12-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #43
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Clearly anyone who thinks all you need is an aftermarket exhaust has never driven the v10. It is a sound that cannot be replicated with a turbo V8 or any other engine. Even the m3, while sounds great in its own right, sounds nothing like the v10 scream. She is on the same page as me, as much of the enjoyment of these M cars is the EXPERIENCE and not just the stats. Just like the 335 folks like to spit out stats. Even if it performs better in every objective measure its not always as exhileritating to drive and 99 percent of m owners buy the car to enjoy on a day to day basis and not race.

If you saw her drive the m3 or m5 you can tell she is not liking this car at all. Watch her review the m3 gts, m3 or e60 m5. She goes absolutely giddy wild. This was the most reserved I have ever seen in her a bmw.

I like this car but especially here in the US, who cares if it is faster and has 560hp. I would have rather have another 500hp v10 that has the soul and sound of the e60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
I think your right. She went crazy on the other reviews compared to this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman23 View Post
If you have ever heard a V10 come screaming by you on the highway, you would understand that an exhaust on this car just wouldnt be the same. Granted, it sounds insane, gets better gas milage, and is faster and more powerful...Its just not a high reving V10.
A lot of people seem to have a backwards mentality when it comes to cars. I fully agree that the sound of the V10 was amazing, with a proper exhaust it was even more amazing. I think in this video she is focusing far too much on the negatives...

This is not a car that is built as a pure race car... it is built to be an extremely good family cruiser and a decent track machine if one wants it to be. It is no way a track car because it is extremely heavy and far too large to really be one. With that being said; I think she is scared of this car and doesn't have the skill to drive it as well as the last... I think the 150 lb-ft of TQ maybe doing it.

The old high revving V10 was nice but it was in no way a proper fit for the M5, while quick, the car did not and will not have the wow factor of thrust when the pedal is floored when compared to the new twin turbo 8. In addition; the fuel economy of the old one was absolutely abysmal... In other words you are gaining far too much here and losing very little. You can improve sound a little by fitting a proper exhaust but if you go take this car for a drive and later hop in an E60; you will be more than disappointed especially given the amazing gear box this car has. This was a review for Tiff and Vicky messed up... having driven the old V10 a few times in many situations and having driven a tuned 335i for the last couple of years; the M5 was way overrated minus the sound, this one certainly fixes that.