View Single Post
      10-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Three ways the German automakers are ripping us off

I've been looking at an M5, a M6 GC, an E63 and the CLS63. I'm seeking a 4 door sedan which will dust 911s and Corvettes without much effort and which will carry me around in relative luxury. I'm looking in the $100-110K range (so the M6 is not really an option).

Currently I drive an M3 which I love so I'm slightly predisposed to BMW but I need something bigger (objectively true) and something faster (emotionally true). In looking around, I'm getting rather annoyed at what I'm seeing with Mercedes and BMW. They are ripping us off!

How? Here are three examples each company has embraced.

(1) Extra charges for a "performance pack". MB offers the sAMG package and BMW offers the ZCP option. With BMW, this amounts to a few hundred dollars in new hardware, different (not better wheels), and a SW change. Cost? Over 7 grand. MB has a similar deal going. Come on. 7 grand for sw, cast wheels, some different bushings, and a different anti-sway bar? Rip off.

(2) Extra charges for paint colors. The "individual" options for paint are such a ridiculous rip off I can't believe it. The companies offer a lame selection of colors and then charge a pantload of money for additional colors?

(3) Extra charges for non balck and white interiors. Same comments as above - offer a limited selection of interior colors then a giant extra charge for additional colors. Come on - merely offering a slightly wider selection of colors would cost the company almost nothing yet we're paying $5K for this option.

I know, I know, if I don't like it don't buy. But doesn't this bother anyone else? They are basically sitting around asking each other how they can get another few thousand out of each sale and they aren't offering anything of inherent value for it.

Pat
Appreciate 0