10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It's got some better materials on the inside in places, adjustable bolsters on the front seats (unlike the US M5... ) and I believe some other standard equipment -- but mostly you're paying for the "style tax". The same thing happens on the Mercedes side. The CLS Class is essentially an E Class from a feature and even manufacturing standpoint, and it costs Mercedes roughly the same to build either one, but the CLS costs more because the market will pay more for a flashy coupe than a relatively more "pedestrian" sedan.

I personally would prefer the M5 even if the prices were the same because I think that while the M6 has some sporty, aggressive, and cool styling in certain areas, it doesn't have the integrated styling "flow" that works as a whole the M5 does. I also think the interior of the M5 is far more welcoming, whereas the M6 is clearly designed to a driver-only car. I sat in an M6 on the passenger side, and that beam cutting down from the dash to the console really makes the passenger feel cut off and even sort of trapped -- and that OCEAN of carbon fiber trim... Not to mention that the rear seats of an M5 are actually usable, whereas the M6 has less rear seat room than even the 3 Series Coupe!
Haha yeah, you may have to practice a little yoga to get in/out of the "back seats" of the M6. I think you will be happy with either one. If you plan on riding mainly by yourself or with one other and like the looks of a coupe get the 6. If you want a beast on the road and to the office with passengers I say get the 5. Like Jphughan says you pay for the coupe/conv style tax. Even though on the BMW scale the model numbers are supposed to elate to luxury/quality hence their view of why the M6 costs more than the M5.