View Single Post
      02-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
cpdp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Are you contemplating this to give the heat/AC time to change the cabin temperature before you get in? The only thing I can think of is that you should probably still drive it lightly for a few miles after you get in, even if the redline has moved all the way to the top. The reason is that even though leaving the engine idling will warm up your engine and oil, part of your gearbox as well as your diff, tires, and brakes will still be relatively cold and won't have started moving yet. I believe this is why BMW actually recommends driving off immediately after you start the engine rather than letting the car warm up first, since doing that doesn't really warm up the entire car.
I do not know how it is in the states, but here (and I think most european countries) it is not allowed to warm up the car without driving. Actually the law also prohibits cruising, which is described as "driving senselessly in town without any destination, as for example circling around blocks".

As someone mentioned - does the F10 M5 redline and yellow area on the tachometer also move as on the E9X M3? Could someone post a photo of that for me?
Appreciate 0