Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susoa View Post
Hi all,

Ive been waiting for a long time to finally own one of these, 25 years, and it looks like Im ready to pull the trigger. I have an F10 550i M sport currently but I loved my E36 and E46 M3's. I have a couple of topics that I welcome input on.

1. What are the must have options? The only one that I'm really considering is the exec package but is it worth the $. The main options I need are 20" wheels, Sat. radio. HUD seems like it would be a good feature also.

2. There are 2 cars on the market now but they were built in 2012. Wouldn't resale value be less on a 2012 production car? Also any difference in a 2012 vs 2013 production year car?

3. If I ordered one then I wouldn't get it until mid-May. It seems like I need to get it ASAP if its a 2013 model. Again this one pertains to resale as I know these things have poor residual value. Is the F10 M5 holding its value better than the E60 M5?

4. I ordered my last car and don't really want to wait 2 months for this one but the PCD would be a nice benefit. The problem I had when I ordered my 2011 was that the car was ready but PCD had a 4 week wait. I cant take that again. I wonder if they can guarantee me a spot?

5. Last one, is it to late in the year to order a 2013? It seems like I would be taking a big deprecation 7 months after I get it. I am planning to keep the car until for at least 5 years however.

Thanks in advance for the input!
1) Regarding must have options: My ranking would be: 1. Executive Package (incl. HUD), 2. 20" wheels, 3. Full Leather, 4. Bang and Olufsen, 5. Drivers Assistance Package. I think 1-3 are must have. 4 and 5 are less valuable but nice.

2) Makes no difference. What matters is in service date and mileage. The cars during the 2013 production year are all the same whether they were made in 2012 or 2013.

3) If you are buying, I would buy either off the lot right now, or wait for a 2014. Buying a 2013 in May with special order is going to hit you on depr. Cars on the lot right now will be a good deal and you get more months use. The car should hold value better than E60 only because the former was pretty unreliable, but don't expect it to be much better.

4) PCD is a waste of time if you've done it before. Instead save yourself some time and do the M School instead. It's much more valuable and with this car you need it. Unlike the E60, this car has a ton of power and you will need skills if you drive in MDM. Otherwise you will spin it off the road.

5) See answer to 3.
Appreciate 0