04-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #25
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Pre LCI cars would consume copious amounts of oil. They fixed something so I only have to add a quart after 5k or 6k miles now. My 13 was a quart every 900 miles lol.
I read countless threads, it's hit or miss. Probably how the break-in procedure was done and how the car is driven. When I had a 2012 750Li, I didn't have to add a single qt of oil while others are adding 1qt per 2k miles. I broke the car in gently and avoided engine braking. With my M5, I only topped off 1qt so far but I was doing a lot of engine braking (slowing down the vehicle in low gear, without using the brakes).

Both 2013 and 2015 burn oil, depending who you ask.

Lifting off the throttle at high RPM (engine braking) creates negative pressure in the compression chamber and cause the most oil burn. All newer engines have low friction piston rings, which is the main cause of oil burns. A small percentage of oil also escape the PCV valve, which enters the intake under high accelerations.

The M3/M4 S55 engine makes more power per liter and have no issues with burning oil. I think the S55 uses different piston rings technology and I know they have an oil catch can built-in that recycles blow-by oil. Perhaps the next gen M5 will adapt this technology.