View Single Post
      03-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Hmm, that isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy. A good DCT like the one in the M3 is much faster than the old SMG II box in the M5. If this thing really has a DCT, it should be able to bang out shifts that make the E60's feel like they are coming from a circa 1970s Powerglide transmission.

I like what I hear about the "three shift speeds" though. The crazy Drivelogic setup they use today is overkill and adds needless complexity. It sounds like they are simplifying which is good news.
The M5 used a SMG III box, not SMG II which was in the E46 M3.

Shifts in DCT type boxes are fast as shit provided, and here is the caveat, that the appropiate gear is preengaged. When it isn't, the box has to first prepare the gear and then shift.

So, if you take "shift time" as the time it takes from when you press the level to when a different gear is engaged, then:
SMGIII is *much* faster when an unexpected gear is ordered.
DCT is significantly faster when the expected gear is over.

SMG III can shift at 65 ms. That it had a shitty auto mode (read: that people didn't understand what the gearbox was and were disappointed when treating it as a slkushbox) does not take away from the fact that it was extremely fast.

To the best of my knowledge, both E92 M3s with DCT boxes that have run in the "Lightning Lap" of Car and Driver have had issues following commands when used in the track. Read the reports the same people did about the SMG III equipped cars (M5/M6) and you'll see there are no such issues.

I guess the problem is that SMG III is fantastic at a track, but the real uses of M5s and M6s are strolling around town...

SYT
Appreciate 0