View Single Post
      05-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

6 grand for some alternate software, a retuned suspension and steering, and black exhaust pipes seems insane to me -- especially since as others pointed out, given that we're talking about an M5 this should all arguably have become standard as part of a year-over-year improvement to the model. I understand BMW has to cover some R&D costs here, but give me a break. They'll be able to spread that out over several model years since they introduced this package so early in the lifecycle.

Losing HUD as a standalone option is irritating especially since there's basically nothing other than Comfort Access in the Exec Package that interests me, and Comfort Access isn't worth $4200 ($5500 Exec Package minus $1300 from when HUD was standalone). In fact a lot of stuff in that package I'd actively want NOT to have even if it was free because it's just more stuff to break and add weight. But I'd really want HUD! I'm betting BMW saw huge take rates on HUD standalone removed it counting on people to opt for the full Exec Package just to get it, thereby increasing profit margins.

And wow, carbon ceramics have swelled to $9250? That's incredible considering that ZR1 carbon ceramic rotors "only" cost ~$1500 each, and here the option price is theoretically the marginal cost of the carbon ceramic setup over the standard brake setup since you're obviously not getting both -- AND carbon ceramics aren't covered by Ultimate Service. But I still don't see the point of them unless you're seriously OCD about dust or a serious track enthusiast, though in the latter case I doubt an M5 would be your chosen track weapon.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0