SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Mmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
steve could be one of those guys who bought the car as a status symbol... maybe? obviously he doesn't want to utilize the power.. soo... he could've gotten a 528, 550 etc..?
Actually my idea of real fun, before I got a little too old, was taking an open class dirt bike and riding it as fast as I could through Southern Africa's finest offroad terrain. Nothing like blasting through dried up river beds, navigating winding mountain trails, drifting though wide open dirt road bends in 5th gear slides. or riding berms with a rooster tail out back. Other weekends we'd have the Breakfast Run, where we'd pilot our 1000cc Kawas, Hondas, Suzukis, Bimotas, BMWs etc. through twisting canyons and mountain roads to meet with other enthusiasts and enjoy a hearty breakfast. For several seasons I raced the local Moto Cross and 2 day trial Circuits, taking as much pleasure in preparing the bikes as I did riding them.

Unfortunately time passes and all that is in the past. I now live in the UK and I'm down to getting up before everyone else so I can drive fast cars how they were meant to be driven along deserted B roads. Still fun, albeit not as much (although the Z4M came close with the roof down and the loud button pushed). We do several driving trips a year to the Black Forest, the Alps and Western Scotland, to enjoy some of Europe's finest roads.

Because I enjoy driving fast and driving well, I'm someone who likes to keep his cars and bikes in tip top condition. They are often filthy but the tyres are always at the right pressure, the windscreen clean and there's no clutter inside to mar the driving experience. Oil is always on full, coolant regularly checked, battery in good condition, so when I go out for a 'drive' I can be 100% confident in my machinery. For years my life depended on it and still does.

The idea of taking that machine, turning the steering full lock (so all the power is pushing against and trying to bend the suspension and steering arms), switching off traction control, redlining the motor against no resistance then burning the tyres to the point the rubber melts and potentially loses its ability to grip is anathema for me and honestly seems to be about the lamest way I can imagine of having fun with a high performance car. The car is designed to offer superb on-the-limit handling. Where is the fun in compromising that by potentially damaging a number of essential components?

I agree with the idiom 'To each his own', so if you want to destroy your tyres, knock yourself out. But as I stated in my original post, its not for me. I want my car in perfect shape so the next time I push it to the limit there's no nagging doubt about any damage I may have done by doing something the car was never designed for.
Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC496.00
kefler122.50