View Single Post
      10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
mikeF10M5
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5

As some have mentioned, it's not just the out of service impact of this major product defect and recall. The repaired cars have higher risk of oil leaks in the future relative to a factory oil pan and pump seal. Also, it's clear that these cars were delivered with a major defect that was discovered after delivery causing catastrophic engine failure. Other defects in this component that didn't cause obvious damage are as yet unknown. BMW's quality control on this run of cars is questionable and compensating to address that by really standing by the product would be appropriate.

There is out of service and resale impact on this product from BMW's failure. Extended warranty coverage would help compensate some of the resale impact on the cars.

BMW communicated to me that they would offer $1500 and an M class (don't know if it's 1 or 2 day) which I don't think is adequate compensation for hassle and harm for myself and other buyers who paid premium prices for this early run of M5s.

I asked for 6yr/100k extended warranty coverage for the car which seems fair under these circumstances but that was rejected. I think pursuing a class action in this case may be the only way to get fair compensation for this hassle and resale impact.

A $1500 offer (I have already done comparable M driving classes and don't need that) unfortunately is a token offer that doesn't fairly compensate. If I had to resell the car in the next 12-18 months I'd expect a $4-5k lower price given the major defect the car had from the factory vs a car that didn't have any known major defects because most resale buyers would avoid this run of cars.
Appreciate 0