View Single Post
      10-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Anyone who has been to the Welt in recent months knows that BMW is far ahead in carbon fiber and carbon fiber reinforced plastic technology...

The question is, are M5 drivers willing to give up their sunroof, fancy heated and cooled superadjustable seats, powered trunk lid, soft close doors, and any plethora of other luxury features to remove a perceived heavy feel? Given the performance of the powertain and steering of the car, I am very happy to have all the luxury features the M5 has but the M3/4 do not.

For those who really believe the M5 is too heavy -- translate this into a performance deficit where you want to see improvement (0-60, 1/4 mile, nurburgring or other track lap time), and give an example where another 4 door, 5 person car is doing it better by keeping the vehicle lighter.
No - I want the sunroof On that note, that is the prime reason why the M6GC is not on my list. That car is claustrophobic.

However, it weighs close to the M5 I believe and yet somehow handles so much better (per the reviews at least). Worse, the Panamera Turbo weighs about the same as the M5 but does not get the negative handling reviews. So while the M5 is weighty, I think the issue is how it is tuned vs. the sheer bulk.
Appreciate 0