09-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #97
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
I can see a V10 happening, I could even just about see a naturally aspirated one happen.

Yes turbo-charging is being used now to get the required output vs. economy/emissions, but --- if you put less load on the engine in the first place, then you'll cut the emissions and consumption anyway, and pushing forward with things like project-i is ABSOLUTELY about this idea... a hybrid supplimented system requires less effort from the engine, and lighter body (this will be a G-series engine, not the partially lighter F-series) will require less effort from the engine.

The Fleet average required to meet legislation is being maintained by these new smaller three cylinder vehicles so many here like to bitch about. So the next gen M engines can perhaps afford to distance themselves from the core range a little more again.

This is the future people, don't judge it by the S85, that tech is probably 20 years old by the time a next-gen V10 hits the market.

Will it definitely happen... I don't know, but you have to think that all the development and ground work BMW has been doing with project-i is going to start to pay dividends once this transitional phase is over. E is the past, F is the transitional phase, G is the future... and the future could be a smaller displacement 400hp V10, with 150hp of power on tap from e-motors, in a car that weighs somewhere between an E39 M5 and an E60 M5.

As for the X1M, M engineers then I assume will be doing what they can with the UKL platform... interesting.

Yay! A common sense response !

As far as an x1 M is concerned. I would love one as a daily driver ! That or perhaps I can find a great deal on an M sport of the current model to go alongside my 1M.
Appreciate 0