View Single Post
      09-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #34
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

I have a different more subtle point. Forget the FI v. NA conversation. Each of us will take our own stance on that depending on our beliefs, opinions and POV to driving, feel and control over a car.

Rather, I would like to focus on the fact that regardless of what the engine has been, ALL //M engines were built specifically for the //M car. Never have they used an engine from their regular line-up. Never have they just taken an off-shelf engine found in non-M// and just tuned it. They have always started from scratch; not always from complete scratch but at least if it wasn't from scratch the base of it was an engine found on another //M product (see S65 for example).

What worries me is not the switch to a FI engine, what worries me is the switch in philosophy of making their own engines, to taking an off-the shelf one and just tuning it. That is what convinces me //M is dead, and convinces me Audi will be the new king. Funny how the automotive world works, AMG has become //M and //M has become AMG.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0