M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #1
VehicleVirals
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Full Fi Exhaust System (1 Year later)

F10 M5 Fi Exhaust Review:

I’ve been running an Fi Exhaust on my F10 M5 for over a year now. I figured I’d document my experience in case anyone was looking to run the same system.

I own a 2016 BMW M5 Pure Metal Silver edition. I make Youtube content so there is probably a chance you’ve seen it online. Everything I’ve done to the car has been documented on video, including the full Fi Exhaust system, which includes their downpipes and the catback portion.

First impressions:

Visually the system looks beautiful. I’ve had experience with several stainless exhaust systems for BMWs cars and you can easily tell cheap from quality ones. The cheap ones tend to be constructed with raw looking thin metal with not much weight to them. The Fi one has a super polished look and just by holding one of the pieces you can tell it’s built not only to look good, but to be durable as well. The welds look pretty, something people tend to pick on with other aftermarket exhaust systems. Some of the pieces have a plaque welded on with the number the system you own

I opted in for the carbon fiber tips because I thought they went better with my particular setup. It’s their most expensive tip option but once you hold and see them in person you feel a little better about that money you dropped on them. They look great and not plasticy like other cheaper units.

The Pro Remote that I optioned in also looks and feels great. The outside ring is made out of Metal and the center I believe is made out of plastic and rubber. I purchased the optional forged carbon ring for the remote but didn’t like it. Made the remote feel light and cheaper. I’d recommend sticking to the stock metal outside ring.

You get all the wiring/vacuum lines for the vales, a control box to use with the Fi app, and a small air tank which I believe stores vacuum pressure. A little daunting seeing all of this at first, but the install is much easier once you start.

Installation:

Installing the actual exhaust is pretty straightforward. Once you unbolt the factory exhaust system you build the Fi system the same way as the factory one. Bolts up the same as OEM and fitment is spot on something that is so overlooked. Having a product that fits perfectly eliminates a lot of the hassle and stress you may experience with cheaper systems. Exhaust tips have a good amount of adjustment as well so you can dial them in to your liking.

Fitment on the downpies is simple as well because again, good fitment. The only thing we had an issue with when installing them was getting the top heat shield to fit flush and bolt on. Most people tend to upgrade to the heat blanket and ditch the metal stock one anyways. It’s possible to get the stock one to fit but it takes some patience and fiddling.

The wiring and vacuum lines is what’s time consuming if you want things done the right way with a clean setup. You can hide the vacuum tank anywhere. I just placed mine in the trunk behind the net compartment.

Sound Impression:

The car sounds absolutely mental! The turbo spool sound that you get now that the oem restriction doesn’t exist, will legit change your life! And that’s with stock turbos. With the valves closed the car sounds near stock and makes for a very comfortable car you’d expect from a 5 series. With the valves open you get in my opinion the perfect sound for the S63. Low revs you get a deep, smooth, controlled sound. Once you get the revs to 5K and up the car sounds exotic as hell! It screams! Like something you would hear from a Supercar! Even on my videos showing off the system, it doesn’t do the sound justice. Microphones don’t seem to get all the frequencies correct and a lot of it gets clipped especially on the high revs.

https://youtu.be/8wJ07jYz_Lw

Remote and App:

The remote function is simple. You get a button to open the valves and one to close. You can use the apple that connects to the control unit to open and close the valves as well. You can also set up pre configured values to automatically initiate the valves. So you can have the valves open at a certain RPM value or at a certain boost level. Please tend to use these features if you are trying to get the best results power wise. You can have the valves closed initially during full throttle for more back pressure and better low end torque and then open up afterwards for more high end power. A neat feature if you are chasing performance numbers. To be honest I haven’t used those features yet to document an experience.

Cons:

Not much to dislike about the system but here are a few things that some people may not like. Extremely loud cold start noise, slightly less with the valves closes. Your neighbors or your family will hate you. Most car guys won’t have an issue with it, but others will! Also if you perform a cold start with the valves closed, it may push the rear portion of the exhaust back a tad because of the back pressure but eventually it settles. Only reason I noticed this was because I would notice the tips sticking out a bit more than how I normally have them. But that could probably just mean I didn’t fully tighten the rear section, something I recommend you do a few times post install.

Conclusion:

From my one year experience, I love and will still recommend this system to those that have the money to get one. It’s easily the number one compliment I get when showing off my car to friends. The sound! Which is the main reason us car guys modify our exhaust systems right? I have a few videos showcasing this system on my M5 and I will share them below. Let me know if you guys have any questions. Thank you for reading.

You can find more information on this exhaust system here:
https://bit.ly/3HaIqmj

Last edited by VehicleVirals; 05-31-2023 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Properly adding pictures
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2023, 05:11 PM   #2
VehicleVirals
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry, Don't know how to post pictures on forums lmao. Will try to edit the post later on with pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VehicleVirals View Post
Sorry, Don't know how to post pictures on forums lmao. Will try to edit the post later on with pictures.
I got a newer i phone and it's a bit more complex now, with my previous one I had pic on in 3 clicks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 08:49 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Welcome to m5posts. Really glad to see you here and I do follow your YT channel, hope to catch out at come CFL or SWFL car events. Bimmer Invasion was a blast but it was a lot to take in in one day.

I was terribly saddened to see the first M5 not make it but the Pure Metal is spectacular. The Charge Coolers, Ti Charge Pipes and wheels are subtle and gorgeous.

Question about the exhaust. Any drone while commuting in lower rpms or at highway cruise speed?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
VehicleVirals
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Welcome to m5posts. Really glad to see you here and I do follow your YT channel, hope to catch out at come CFL or SWFL car events. Bimmer Invasion was a blast but it was a lot to take in in one day.

I was terribly saddened to see the first M5 not make it but the Pure Metal is spectacular. The Charge Coolers, Ti Charge Pipes and wheels are subtle and gorgeous.

Question about the exhaust. Any drone while commuting in lower rpms or at highway cruise speed?
Appreciate all the support dude! Definitely my goal for the rest of 2023 is to take my cars to more events.

With the valves closed, not much drone to be honest especially when you're on comfort mode. With the valves open, it's more noticelable, but not terrible with the 7 Speed DTC.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 11:11 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0