BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Tell me if I'm nuts on this M5 build

I'm thinking of just ordering a base M5 with just HUD and BMW Apps. 19" wheels, regular leather, etc etc.

20's look nice but I'm betting that one with 19s will be rarer and perhaps deal with bad roads better with a little more rubber on the sidewall. Plus if I regret that one I'm guessing I'll be able to find a set of takeoffs from someone modding their car.

all the other stuff like sat radio (I use Pandora), rear sunshade etc I think I can live without

Wonder if I'd get killed on resale though, esp without the full leather.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
audiobahn
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

If your spending the money you might as well go the whole nine yards
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I'd really consider Full leather unless you don't want the extra color underneath the dash and elsewhere because it really does step up the luxury factor, but otherwise that'd pretty much be my build, except definitely adding 20s and possibly adding 6MT.

I don't think the 19s will have any value of being "rarer", but they likely will feel better on rough roads; I just think the 20s look MUCH better, though on certain colors like Space Gray I can see a case for the darker 19s. Still, as you say you can always switch later. BMW Apps isn't a great value for $250, but I guess a drop in the bucket relative to the car, and it's the only way to get reliable control of Pandora while connected over USB, so I'd probably get it myself. I've heard that the Web Radio feature of BMW Connected is nice too, though I don't use it myself. And obviously transmission is a very personal choice.

But as for the rest of the available options, the DA Package is the "inattentive/careless driver" package IMHO and the Executive Package is almost entirely stuff I either don't care about or wouldn't want even if it was free. B&O isn't worth the cash AT ALL after hearing it compared to the base-for-US Premium Hifi system. Night Vision is a cool gimmick, but ultimately just a gimmick unless you drive rural roads at night a lot. Rear Seat Entertainment is more expensive and less functional than a pair of iPads. And don't even get me started on carbon ceramics, I've ranted about them in other threads here already.

So no, I don't think you're crazy at all! Enjoy.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-24-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
I'm thinking of just ordering a base M5 with just HUD and BMW Apps. 19" wheels, regular leather, etc etc.

20's look nice but I'm betting that one with 19s will be rarer and perhaps deal with bad roads better with a little more rubber on the sidewall. Plus if I regret that one I'm guessing I'll be able to find a set of takeoffs from someone modding their car.

all the other stuff like sat radio (I use Pandora), rear sunshade etc I think I can live without

Thoughts?
In the end it's your money - so noone can tell you you are nuts. IMO the M5 comes pretty well equipped that I'd be more than happy with a "base" M5.

I for one plan to get one with just HUD and 20's - and I'm only getting the 20's so that I can rip off the 20" PSS tires and do a cash+ wheel swap with another owner with 19s. I want aftermkt 20's and the 19s for winter wheels. I'd only consider full leather if I got Silverstone - its overkill with Sakhir and indistinguishable with black imo.

Don't spec a car with resale in mind - and dont skip options/colors you want bc you're afraid it could hurt resale. My biggest regret was not getting Imola Red interior on my e46 M3 because people said it would hurt resale. At the end of the day do what makes you happiest now - don't worry about 4-5 years down the road.

The Executive pack adds nothing that I really want, B&O seems overpriced, and Driver Assistance isn't important to me. There's no way you'd recoup all that extra cost on resale anyhow, so by not choosing them you save now.
      05-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
In the end it's your money - so noone can tell you you are nuts. IMO the M5 comes pretty well equipped that I'd be more than happy with a "base" M5.

I for one plan to get one with just HUD and 20's - and I'm only getting the 20's so that I can rip off the 20" PSS tires and do a cash+ wheel swap with another owner with 19s. I want aftermkt 20's and the 19s for winter wheels. I'd only consider full leather if I got Silverstone - its overkill with Sakhir and indistinguishable with black imo.

Don't spec a car with resale in mind - and dont skip options/colors you want bc you're afraid it could hurt resale. My biggest regret was not getting Imola Red interior on my e46 M3 because people said it would hurt resale. At the end of the day do what makes you happiest now - don't worry about 4-5 years down the road.

The Executive pack adds nothing that I really want, B&O seems overpriced, and Driver Assistance isn't important to me. There's no way you'd recoup all that extra cost on resale anyhow, so by not choosing them you save now.
+1 Get what you want. For me that is everything except B&O and Carbon Brakes. I hate regret, and when you run 25 miles of a marathon and quit you will regret it. I get most of the options so I never feel that way. You are spending a ton of money. Dont get cheap on yourself but get and dont get what you want.

Go Bruins, my family are UCLA grads, Im a UW Husky!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:

Thoughts?
You have to recognize here this isn't one of those cars where you have to add 15k with options for example the M3.This car has so many standard options, my order currently is AW, Sahkir orange extended, Hud, and 20's. I was gonna go with Full leather, but it comes with the alcantara headliner so a couple extra leather pieces isn't a big deal to me. But other than the full leather, the only i thing i wanted was comfort access which comes in a 5,500 package. Coming from a 328i maybe it's just me lol, but make sure you get the HUD, and if you plan on changing to a different pair of wheels go with the 19's!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

YOU, are the world's greatest expert, on you!

Get it exactly how you want it.

To me the std leather would make the interior much easier to keep clean, considering I kick the hell out of the lower door panels upon exit from my cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
rickf325
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post

I have talked myself out of Sakhir and light interior colors, so had moved my order to Alpine White on Black Full. But screwing around with the configurator made me feel like Black Extended would be fine--it looks almost exactly the same and I never really touch the dash, back of my seat, or door uppers. The leatherette is probably sufficient. I'll apply the $3500 towards other fun things. Anybody else end up with this same conclusion for the black leather interior?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I think the 20s are much better. They are forged wheels whereas the 19s are cast. So the 20s are lot lighter which means they handle bumps better.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Resale value won't hit you too hard. No one wants to pay for all those options any way, so that wouldn't be my concern. The onyl other thing that might catch up with you is thought of what if? I have my base 335, figured im buying it for the motor any way and not for the bells and whistles which you can find after market solutions for most of them anyway. The one thing that got to me was that I soon found myself wanting all those things especially after seeing everybody else enjoyng them..... Kind of a game killer when you are the only one with out all the bells and whistles. That is why this time I'm getting the works done to this M5. So much easier then modding with after market parts.... Good luck. Sleep on it... but not too long..
      05-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
ucla95
Striker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I think the 20s are much better. They are forged wheels whereas the 19s are cast. .
This is incorrect, the 19's and 20's are both forged.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

You choose the options for what you want/need, it's you ultimately own/drive the car on a daily basis. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you are happy with the car, then that's what matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
This is incorrect, the 19's and 20's are both forged.
I looked up the specs. The M5 19s are about 2 kilos lighter than the 550 19s which suggests that the M5 19s are indeed forged.

However it also shows that the M5 20s are 1 kilo lighter than the M5 19s indicating an advantage of double spoke construction.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 05-24-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
ucla95
Striker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
which suggests that the M5 19s are indeed forged.
The BMWUSA website specifically states that both are forged.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

ur nuts!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
ucla95
Striker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBert View Post
ur nuts!
Now that's what I wanted to hear in the first place!
Appreciate 0