M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #23
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
We'll see, there is more to a car then cornering and steering. Besides, what makes you think the new CLS 63 cant corner and steer well?
I've heard praises on the CLS63 but I don't think this competes with the CLS. The M5 is a direct E63 AMG competitor. The upcoming M6 Gran Coupe will be the CLS rival.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post


i'll still keep mine for a long while. Even though the F10 will be more powerful and faster, something about going from a V10 to a V8 doesn't sit right with me, at least not just yet. Maybe that will change when I get to drive the F10, or its time to move on from the e60. The V10 is intoxicating to listen to though. I've only had the e60 for just over a year now, so it's still "new" to me..haha

haha, think about the people receiving a 4 cylinder in the new 528i lol
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
03BeastCharmer
Major
 
03BeastCharmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 M5, '13 & 97 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

It warm my heart a little that the comparisons of the new M5 often point back to the E39 M5 Not the fasted car by today's standards, but a great driving experience. I don't see ours going anywhere anytime soon.
__________________

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Wife's: E39 M5, E36 M3
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3
03BeastCharmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Crisp's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5 6 Speed
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,525
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Did he just say it sounds like a tuned Impreza?
It does, 100%.
I've said that since day one and have even posted side by side comparison videos. They sound exactly alike.

I like the sound of the impreza, just not on an ///M.
__________________
Past BMWs: 2009 E93 335i -2010 E60 535i -2008 E60 M5 - 2013 M3
Current BMWs:2008 E64 M6 - 2014 F30 320i
Crisp is online now   Albania
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #27
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
It does, 100%.
I've said that since day one and have even posted side by side comparison videos. They sound exactly alike.

I like the sound of the impreza, just not on an ///M.
Especially since one is a 4-banger and one is a 8-cyclinder.

AMG does just fine making a mean sounding turbo V8.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #28
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
I realize that but they are pretty much the same. That grande coupe is lame. they couldve atleast given it a unique look compared to the 2 door.
My sentiments as well.

The new CLS63 is one amazing looking/sounding automobile.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
docjay
Second Lieutenant
 
docjay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manila

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spelman View Post
To all the doubters and skeptics (even in the face of all the good reviews so far):

I'll take Chris Harris' word over your cynical views any day

Good review!
+100000
__________________
docjay is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #30
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I want an M5.
+ 100000
Fits in real nice next to it's little brother
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
 
wisesoul's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

Posts: 1,631
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
And what makes you think it isnt?
Depends what you mean by better car. If you are looking for Hp/Tq numbers, the CLS63 with the performance package is certainly better. Looks are subjective, so let's not argue which car looks better. Technologically, the M5 is a marvel with its engine, but you can say the M157 is just as impresive and maybe sounds better. Comfort may be on par, with Mercedes having the upper hand in creature comforts. I choose the M5 knowing how much thought and testing was done on it. BMW put many new innovations in this car and I personally think what turns most people off to this car are the fart sounds upon upshifts. Judging by the past, I think the BMW will edge out the Benz in driving experience. Just like how the C63 Coupe was nearly as good as the M3, but not on par.
__________________
Current: Alpine White F10 M5|H&R springs|12mm/10mm spacers|Eisenmann Race
Sold:Imola Yellow RS4-KW V3|MTM 10mm spacers|Hotchkis rear sway bar|APR Stage 1|Milltek Catless|RNS-E|Euro RS4 Flat bottom Steering Wheel
Sold:E46 323i
wisesoul is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #32
chris719
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

Posts: 446
iTrader: (0)

The CLS is a boat, although so is the M5. I really doubt that the CLS63 drives as well as the M5 if the normal versions of each are any indication.
chris719 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #33
GOLFFRR
 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 15,712
iTrader: (4)

__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special M235/228--> http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013211
GOLFFRR is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #34
Yogijet
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palms Valley

Posts: 575
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spelman View Post
To all the doubters and skeptics (even in the face of all the good reviews so far):

I'll take Chris Harris' word over your cynical views any day

Good review!
Clearly, especially since we've actually seen Chris drive!
__________________

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Yogijet is online now   British Virgin Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #35
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,554
iTrader: (1)

No offense.....but it seems like you have over dosed on KoolAid already by buying an M3. I guess all the praise the M3 gets....does not seem too unfair to you.

Anyways bottom line is the M cars have always been better then the competition as an all rounder. There are cars that can go faster, or are cheaper, go faster around the track. But none of them can package it all like M does in perfect dose of each. This was the case with M3 or last M5 etc. The M6 did not get the praise from the press as you suggested. You know why because BMW could have done a lot more to it and just left it as sort of half finished job as a 2 door M5. So the Koolaid that press gives you to drink is not so sweet when the car itself is not all that.

If the car is really good...... what do you want them to say?..... it is not good. Press did not like M6 but loved M5 and M3. So I think that is a bogus claim.The MB AMG cars can go fast but can't handle like BMW M cars and that is a fact not a myth. Now your heart is set on a CLS 63AMG so you can go around and feel better by claiming that press is bias against MB and others when it comes to an M car.

If you think press is so bias and feeds you great koolaid. Then why did you not buy the C63 AMG and refused to drink Koolaid seems like after all their must be something in that koolaid as you went out and bought over hyped M3.

Give us one instance where press compared the M car and AMG car was actually better and I will put some merit in your post.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post


You ever notice that they ALWAYS give the M cars the benefit of the doubt no matter what? Even if the car is marginally better then the competition, they rave about it as if it were the greatest car in the world. I bet you anything, when the M5 vs CLS 63 or E 63 vs CTS-V vs Jag XFR that they will ALL have the M5 #1. Even if the numbers tell a different story. They'll say the same old things: CLS63/E63: pros: Gods own torque, great seats, locomotive fast.....Cons: Too heavy, too stiff.....
M5: Pros: Wolf in sheeps clothing, precision handling for size, unbelievable kick in the pants, fantastic chassis......Cons: Wolf in sheeps clothing, brakes not up to tracking, thats it.

They'll place the M5 in 1st(mostly because its a new car)the CLS63/E63 in 2nd, CTS-V in 3rd and the Jag last.
I like the new M5 and will be test driving it when it comes to the states, but I dont overdose on KoolAid like some others and will also be driving the CLS 63 AMG
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 09-23-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #36
silentassasin
You wont see me coming....
 
silentassasin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 535 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (0)

So we need to upgrade the brakes. Tune the exhaust. And try to clock a 0-100 in 8.7 seconds. I volunteer just get me behind the wheel Pleeeeeaaaaase
__________________


White on Black F10 M Sport
silentassasin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #37
phish_100
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

I love this car already. Very desperately. Give one to me immediately.
phish_100 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #38
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (11)

I can already foresee another super saloon shoot-out on the next season of Top Gear.
Clarkson drives the E63
Hammond drives the M5
Captain Slow drives the slowest car there... I'm guessing Audi or Jag

Predictable but as if you aren't going to watch it
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,703
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
No offense.....but it seems like you have over dosed on KoolAid already by buying an M3. I guess all the praise the M3 gets....does not seem too unfair to you.

Anyways bottom line is the M cars have always been better then the competition as an all rounder. There are cars that can go faster, or are cheaper, go faster around the track. But none of them can package it all like M does in perfect dose of each. This was the case with M3 or last M5 etc. The M6 did not get the praise from the press as you suggested. You know why because BMW could have done a lot more to it and just left it as sort of half finished job as a 2 door M5. So the Koolaid that press gives you to drink is not so sweet when the car itself is not all that.

If the car is really good...... what do you want them to say?..... it is not good. Press did not like M6 but loved M5 and M3. So I think that is a bogus claim.The MB AMG cars can go fast but can't handle like BMW M cars and that is a fact not a myth. Now your heart is set on a CLS 63AMG so you can go around and feel better by claiming that press is bias against MB and others when it comes to an M car.

If you think press is so bias and feeds you great koolaid. Then why did you not buy the C63 AMG and refused to drink Koolaid seems like after all their must be something in that koolaid as you went out and bought over hyped M3.

Give us one instance where press compared the M car and AMG car was actually better and I will put some merit in your post.
For the most part I agree. Anyone who isn't a fanboy can tell you that there are cars better for handling (Mitsubishi Evo) or can drive quicker in a straight line (any competing AMG Merc) but BMW does it better as a whole package which has been their focus. I read in another thread that a user would rather purchase an E63 because the 0-60 time was in the 3 second range while the M5 was in the mid-4's trying to downplay how good the F10 M5 really is. The C63 has a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds vs. the M3's mid-4's. Even to this day, without nitpicking at individual things and looking at the car as a whole, which has been the better car?

As positive as these reviews/first tests have been, you can't really come to a conclusion other than that the F10 M5 is an amazing machine, standing by itself (like you would think otherwise for a M car.) Before we can say how good the M5 really is, we will need the comparisons against the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwSC8 View Post
I can already foresee another super saloon shoot-out on the next season of Top Gear.
Clarkson drives the E63
Hammond drives the M5
Captain Slow drives the slowest car there... I'm guessing Audi or Jag

Predictable but as if you aren't going to watch it
I think that might come well after the release of the M5. I think for the initial review, James May is doing a solo like he did with the 760Li. But regardless if that may or may not happen, would definitely love to see the three-way comparison!
TheBingoBalls is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #40
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
 
MDyDinanM's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,085
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
For the most part I agree. Anyone who isn't a fanboy can tell you that there are cars better for handling (Mitsubishi Evo) or can drive quicker in a straight line (any competing AMG Merc) but BMW does it better as a whole package which has been their focus. I read in another thread that a user would rather purchase an E63 because the 0-60 time was in the 3 second range while the M5 was in the mid-4's trying to downplay how good the F10 M5 really is. The C63 has a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds vs. the M3's mid-4's. Even to this day, without nitpicking at individual things and looking at the car as a whole, which has been the better car?

As positive as these reviews/first tests have been, you can't really come to a conclusion other than that the F10 M5 is an amazing machine, standing by itself (like you would think otherwise for a M car.) Before we can say how good the M5 really is, we will need the comparisons against the competition.


thats what i tried to convey in my first post on this thread. You said it better though.

I'm excited about the F10 M5 as much as the next guy, but Instead of saying subjective things like "it's awesome, its great, awe inspiring" etc, I would like to see some real tangible, comparison figures to other cars in its class that it would compete with. That should show the true nature of the new M5 and how it holds up as compared to Mercedes AMG, Audi, Porsche, CTS-V, pick your flavor. Perhaps its too early for this, since the car is new, but i'm sure it will come in time.

i'm sure the fan boy police is going to flame us. lol Don't get me wrong, i'm a BMW fan like the rest of them
__________________
Retired: '06 BMW E46 ///M3
Current: '08 BMW E60 DINAN ///M5, Interlagos Blue, SMG
DINAN Stage 2 Suspension, Exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 09-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
MDyDinanM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #41
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
I love this car already. Very desperately. Give one to me immediately.
Lucky for you, you already have a deposit down for one and get it before we do here in North America
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #42
phish_100
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
I love this car already. Very desperately. Give one to me immediately.
Lucky for you, you already have a deposit down for one and get it before we do here in North America
Well remembered!!
phish_100 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #43
BMW//M
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ballwin, MO

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

If you wait a few more months for the new 911 to come out the dealers will have great deals on the current ones.
BMW//M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #44
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Not a BMW...
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, UK

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Moaners will never quit moaning, will they? Even though all reviews so far, have already stated that the M5 F10 is a far better car than the M5 E60, the moaners will continue to moan. Unfuckingbelievable...
TonyMeister is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2012 m5 forum, 2012 m5 forums, 2012 m5 review, 2012 m5 reviews, 2013 m5 review, 2013 m5 reviews, bmw 2012 m5 review, bmw 2012 m5 reviews, bmw f10 m5 forum, bmw f10 m5 forums, bmw f10 m5 review, bmw f10 m5 reviews, bmw m5 forum, bmw m5 forums, bmw m5 review, bmw m5 reviews, chris harris bmw f10 m5 review, chris harris bmw m5, chris harris bmw m5 review, chris harris f10 m5, chris harris f10 m5 review, chris harris m5 review, evo bmw m5 review, evo f10 m5 review, evo m5 review, evo mag f10 m5 review, f10 e60 m5 compared, f10 e60 m5 comparison, f10 e60 m5 review, f10 m5 e60 m5 compared, f10 m5 e60 m5 comparison, f10 m5 e60 m5 review, f10 m5 forum, f10 m5 forums, f10 m5 review, f10 m5 reviews, f10 m5 versus e60 m5, f10 m5 vs e60 m5, f10 versus e60 m5, f10 vs e60 m5, m5 review, m5 reviews, new m5 forums, new m5 review, new m5 reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST