Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Clunk sound from F10 M5 rear on bumps

Hi there fellow M5 F10 owners,

My car is at the service for 5 days now all broken down in parts and being very "roughly" test driven to find out a strange sound that the car had when it was stock. The sound was coming from around right (or right and left) shock absorbers when passing a speed-bump at 10 km/h. At first I thought it was the car wash stuff in the trunk, but once I cleared everything out - the annoying sound continued. It has now been 5 days that it's in the service, they've taken out whole back seat out of the car, all stitching, wiring, swapped shock absorbers and whatnot and still can't find the reason for the sound.

Whole rear of the car is taken out (like a rally car) and technicians were riding in the trunk with microphones and headphones to pinpoint the place the sound comes from. They said it's above the rear wheel somewhere but still can't find anything (5 days of ripped apart car for nothing) and the last thing they'll be trying out tomorrow is to try using regular 5 series shock absorbers and make another very rough dighole test-drive.

Got 3 questions
1) Does anyone else have this problem? Or payed attention if this "dong" sound from the rear at speed-bumps is normal in any way shape or form?
2) They've been test-driving my car on very deep and rough roads for 5 days now to help find the sound (I'm very upset about it), do you think this would shorten lifetime of components or overall well being of the car? They drove about 1 km of very bumpy holes at average speeds every 2 hours, trying different setups. Shall I lodge a complaint or do you think it's nothing to worry about for a new car?

3) I saw that they had taken out whole rear part of the car, seats were taken out and split apart (rear and lower parts of back seats were separated), the way from rear to trunk was opened for a technician to lay down and diagnose the sound, protective covers in the trunk and under the rear mirror were removed and many car's details were analyzed separately. Basically they've screwed with everything that was in the second half of the car, interior, exterior and drivetrain. They said it's nothing to worry about and that they will put everything back as it was in factory. But having seen my car at such condition has given me a feeling of buying a "broken, used and heavily exploited" car. Basically my car arrived with a flaw that required severe exploitation to identify the problem, and even then it wasn't identified and it has only 500 km on it. My question is, is it true that the dealership can never assemble parts back the way factory did? I'm considering lodging a complaint straight to BMW because I wanted a fresh car and seeing intestines and ugliness of a disassembled car gives me no peace of mind.

I'm very frustrated and upset, the forum was the only place to ask for an advice. Thanks for reading and for any recommendations.

Last edited by singularity; 04-02-2012 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Have faith, at least you are getting great service.

Keep us up to date.

What part of the world are you in?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
F360
Rep
Drives: M4 (F82)

I have the M for almost 2 months with 5000 km and no sound at all
I hope they will fix your car soon
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
HHSAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10/ X5 F15 M Package

You had to wait till the break in period then drive the way you said you drove the car in another thread.

I hope they fix the problem or replace the car for you

my advice is be completely cooperative with the dealer
      03-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Sorry to hear abt your issues. I don't have the problem. I hope BMW replaces the car for u...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSAM View Post
You had to wait till the break in period then drive the way you said you drove the car in another thread.

I hope they fix the problem or replace the car for you

my advice is be completely cooperative with the dealer
Thanks, but the break-in is about engine and transmission, not about "drive on perfect roads with no bumps", there is no relation between it.

As for driving it, I drove it in bursts similar to overtaking on a high-way, most of my "spirited" driving was in maneuvering between traffic I bought this car to drive it I'm confident there would be hard limitations if it was otherwise. It would be a absurd if the car was not designed or expected to be driven hard even during the break-in period. It's German engineering high-performance, everyday car with years and hundreds of thousands resource, not a Russian roulette or a deck card house. I've done a fair bit of reading and education in the last few days about break-in period and those are what I learned.

On topic: the dealership returned me the car today perfectly assembled, with no damages and absolutely no sounds at rough roads. Even the "sound from rear" is gone now, although the dealership said they'll replace shock absorbers and consult with BMW Germany about the issue. The car is waxed, leather creamed and sitting in a heated garage now and I'm one happy M driver now

The dealership drove the car much worse on severed roads for about 80-100 km according to mileage that I measured 5 days ago before giving it to them, I don't blame them because that was the only way to hear the sound.

They ordered a new set of shock absorbers to arrive in a few weeks and that they will send a report to BMW and consult about the nature of their discovery.

They returned me the car today and it was very well cleaned, assembled and tightened. I took it to the car wash, wax and creme and it's in a better condition than when I took delivery most interestingly I didn't hear that sound anymore today when driving on speedbumps. Maybe I was being paranoid with the sound, maybe their re-tightening of suspension because I don't hear it anymore.

Last edited by singularity; 03-04-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Excellent news! Now that BMW broke that thing in for you, go drive it!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

I am glad it worked out for you. I mentioned in another post my wifes X5M had problems and the whole front dash was taken out I too was concerned but once it was repaired it was as good as new and has been for over a year. We have had no further problems with it and hopefully thats the end of your problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Pls do some digging an see if you can get a a handle on the problem. It would be good to understand.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
HHSAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10/ X5 F15 M Package

I am really Glad to hear that the problem is fixed.

Wish you all the best in the future and take care of the beast.
      03-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
singularity
Driver
Rep

Thanks everyone. I'll post an update once new shock absorbers have arrived (in 2-3 weeks) and installed. Then I'll do a test drive on rough roads and tell about the ride quality and wrong sounds (if any) when driving on rough roads.

Reviews usually don't cover the part of riding in roads full of holes and sett (Belgian blocks), but I think it will be helpful and important to those who don't have perfect roads before buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If your car had a problem others will, at least if someone gets a glitch the solution will be immediate.

Not all BMW dealers are as good as yours, trust me. A lot in the US and Canada suck.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Hi there fellow M5 F10 owners,

My car is at the service for 5 days now all broken down in parts and being very "roughly" test driven to find out a strange sound that the car had when it was stock. The sound was coming from around right (or right and left) shock absorbers when passing a speed-bump at 10 km/h. At first I thought it was the car wash stuff in the trunk, but once I cleared everything out - the annoying sound continued. It has now been 5 days that it's in the service, they've taken out whole back seat out of the car, all stitching, wiring, swapped shock absorbers and whatnot and still can't find the reason for the sound.

Whole rear of the car is taken out (like a rally car) and technicians were riding in the trunk with microphones and headphones to pinpoint the place the sound comes from. They said it's above the rear wheel somewhere but still can't find anything (5 days of ripped apart car for nothing) and the last thing they'll be trying out tomorrow is to try using regular 5 series shock absorbers and make another very rough dighole test-drive.

Got 3 questions
1) Does anyone else have this problem? Or payed attention if this "dong" sound from the rear at speed-bumps is normal in any way shape or form?
2) They've been test-driving my car on very deep and rough roads for 5 days now to help find the sound (I'm very upset about it), do you think this would shorten lifetime of components or overall well being of the car? They drove about 1 km of very bumpy holes at average speeds every 2 hours, trying different setups. Shall I lodge a complaint or do you think it's nothing to worry about for a new car?

3) I saw that they had taken out whole rear part of the car, seats were taken out and split apart (rear and lower parts of back seats were separated), the way from rear to trunk was opened for a technician to lay down and diagnose the sound, protective covers in the trunk and under the rear mirror were removed and many car's details were analyzed separately. Basically they've screwed with everything that was in the second half of the car, interior, exterior and drivetrain. They said it's nothing to worry about and that they will put everything back as it was in factory. But having seen my car at such condition has given me a feeling of buying a "broken, used and heavily exploited" car. Basically my car arrived with a flaw that required severe exploitation to identify the problem, and even then it wasn't identified and it has only 500 km on it. My question is, is it true that the dealership can never assemble parts back the way factory did? I'm considering lodging a complaint straight to BMW because I wanted a fresh car and seeing intestines and ugliness of a disassembled car gives me no peace of mind.

I'm very frustrated and upset, the forum was the only place to ask for an advice. Thanks for reading and for any recommendations.
Singularity, I have a 'noise' from the rear of the car when I go over speedbumps. Just noticed it in the last few days. I would not call it a 'dong' more like something rolling around in the boot. I am monitoring it at the moment. I would be interested to know what your service guys identified as being the cause of the problem so that I can shortcut things if I have to go down the route of sorting my noise out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
Singularity, I have a 'noise' from the rear of the car when I go over speedbumps. Just noticed it in the last few days. I would not call it a 'dong' more like something rolling around in the boot. I am monitoring it at the moment. I would be interested to know what your service guys identified as being the cause of the problem so that I can shortcut things if I have to go down the route of sorting my noise out.

Thanks
Yes it's more like "clung", very minor but can be clearly heard when coming off a speed-bump with a proper speed. Is your trunk also empty? I'm waiting for a new set of shock-absorbers and will post an update as soon there's any news.

Maybe this is on all M5s? Nonetheless it's a little annoying, doesn't make it "perfect" when driving without music and windows up.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
04S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's more like "clung", very minor but can be clearly heard when coming off a speed-bump with a proper speed. Is your trunk also empty? I'm waiting for a new set of shock-absorbers and will post an update as soon there's any news.

Maybe this is on all M5s? Nonetheless it's a little annoying, doesn't make it "perfect" when driving without music and windows up.
Yep my trunk is empty. I also hear it drving over a particularly bumpy road. Not sure if it is just part of the character of an ///M car, like my grinding/groaning diff on my old E92 M3 which I understand is pretty normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Yep my trunk is empty. I also hear it drving over a particularly bumpy road. Not sure if it is just part of the character of an ///M car, like my grinding/groaning diff on my old E92 M3 which I understand is pretty normal.
The same grinding sound is also on my M6 rear differential, which is normal for ///M cars as is the diesel-like engine sound for S85. Maybe this F10's sound from the trunk is normal too, but it sounds way too much like a "loose instrument box or a wrench jumping around a plastic box". That's the best way I can explain the sound if you share the same then I'm glad that I'm not the only one and the issue (if this is an issue at all) is not isolated.

Savarona or Clar, how about you guys? Are there no speedbumps or rough roads where you live?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
04S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The same grinding sound is also on my M6 rear differential, which is normal for ///M cars as is the diesel-like engine sound for S85. Maybe this F10's sound from the trunk is normal too, but it sounds way too much like a "loose instrument box or a wrench jumping around a plastic box". That's the best way I can explain the sound if you share the same then I'm glad that I'm not the only one and the issue (if this is an issue at all) is not isolated.

Savarona or Clar, how about you guys? Are there no speedbumps or rough roads where you live?
My sound coming from the rear is definitely getting worse. Much more noticeable now and seemingly more frequent. I think I am at the point where I am going to have to do something about it. Did your service guys manage to work out what the cause of the sound was ?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
My sound coming from the rear is definitely getting worse. Much more noticeable now and seemingly more frequent. I think I am at the point where I am going to have to do something about it. Did your service guys manage to work out what the cause of the sound was ?
It was the same with me, the sound kept getting worse and worse as if there was a loose heavy iron tube in the rear of my car, heavy "clung".

My shock absorbers were replaced 2 days ago. I didn't notice anything during test drive but I warned them that if the sound is back, I will be back. Shortly after I left the dealership with new shock absorbers, crossed a tram railway and there it was, loud and clear. New shock absorbers reduced the sound, but it's still there and I can hear it.

Maybe replacing springs or bearings would help? They were ordered in the same package with shock absorbers. One technician also told me that this is a constructive "specialty" or defect of these kinds of shock absorbers. When I didn't hear it during test drive 2 days ago, he said "but the sound will return in about 2500 kms and you can come back and ask for another replacement". But as I see now it's more than shock absorbers, it's something else too.

Bottom line: shock absorbers replaced, "clung" sound on bumps is less loud but still there. Going for another service appointment tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

Please keep us updated. I think I am hearing the sound. Not sure though :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
Please keep us updated. I think I am hearing the sound. Not sure though :-(
Try driving off a bump with sharp edges, a 5 cm tall sidewalk, a tram railroad or maybe a speedbump. If you hear a "clung" sound from around trunk/rear wheels, like loose shelf, then we're talking about the same thing.

I'll keep you guys posted, got an appointment for tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
04S
Captain
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

best luck for you, wish your dealer could figure out this problem asap. I hope this wont happened to the canadian m5 tho, it definitely a serious problem, plus you are not the only one in this formue who's suffering from this issue.

when i drove my 750, i had 2 major problems as well,

first:i need to add engine oil almost every 3-4k kilometers which is not normal at all, the car drinks the engine oil rapidly fast;

second when the engine is is revving about 1-2k/min, especially in first and second gear, there is always a strange sound, they never fixed that problem for me. They tired to fix it, after 3 days the problem came back, always happened in winter, eventually i gave up because that was a leased car.

sorry for off topic, again, wish they could fix your car properly
Appreciate 0