M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

06-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

No carwash for Carbon Ceramic Brakes

I always trust the technical guys, never the sales guys at the dealership;
That's why I ended up choosing a smaller more familiar dealership, because I am able to talk with the lead technicians and I am allowed to be present in the workshop;
Now As my M5 is their first and I regular talk to these guys, he told me that he took a course last week for the M5; Telling me that they had to remove complete engine, demount the carter & stuff like that, but also that for 2013 ( production august here in EU) the option to order Ceramic Brakes will become available! He said it would be a very expensive set and he wasn't keen on it as the course stated you can't drive through carwash , duh you can but it is subscribed not to do this

I am not a carwash fan however, during winter our roads are salty and then I use carwashes to clean the bottom of the car..
Admitting I am tempted to upgrade brakes after a while, hearing this was confusing but thought it was worth sharing it.

grts
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Ceramic brakes are a waste of money IMO.

Sure they brake better.... but this will only be beneficial on the track... and the benefits certainly don't outweigh the costs
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

I can't speak for BMW CF brakes, but they do not stop any better than steel on POrsches anyway.

The main reason people seem to buy them is the great reduction in brake dust and some people like the yellow calipers. They are prone to damage from rock and gravel and they are not as good as steel brakes from the initial start.

This is one option I would never choose.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubenhocker View Post
I can't speak for BMW CF brakes, but they do not stop any better than steel on POrsches anyway.

The main reason people seem to buy them is the great reduction in brake dust and some people like the yellow calipers. They are prone to damage from rock and gravel and they are not as good as steel brakes from the initial start.

This is one option I would never choose.
If u like the yellow calipers just paint em and spend $8k on something else - I agree, never considered this option.
      06-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

why are ceramics not safe for car washes? seems fine on porsches equipped with them.
      06-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

I've got CCB on a Ferrari 458 and a Porsche 911 Turbo S. They have superior stopping power to the brakes on the M5 but that could be a vehicle weight issue. The Porsche has the best brake feel hot or cold of any car I've driven - when dry. The Ferrari's brakes work best with a little heat in them. The Porsche doesn't like being driven through standing water - it takes a split second for the brakes to dry but you have no brakes in that instant. Both are fine coming out of the car wash - tap them once just like any car.

Bottom line - I wouldn't pay the extra to get them on a big sedan like an M5, and I wouldn't recommend them unless you are tracking the car. I wouldn't have a sports car without them for that fade-free stopping power when driving hard in the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

The M5 might not fit in the track of the older car washes. Wide tires won't fit in the groove. X5 has that trouble and my 911 barely fit the one time I went through.

Nobody should take a new M5 through a car wash. Take 20 minutes and do it by hand. Too nice a car to beat it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

It is the wheel cleaners that could be damaging to the carbon ceramic disc. Strictly soap and water.
Appreciate 0