M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

BMW doesn't know where their car is?

I am certain there are people on this forum already irate on how BMW has handled shipping, shipping ED cars, the oil pump epidemic....

Heres my dilemma, a few days from now will be 8 weeks. I did not do ED. The car arrived in Baltimore on Saturday. As of right now, no change to status of the vehicle. I called BMWNA and they are useless. They told me they have no idea where the car is other than the port of exit and my dealer would have more information. My dealer has no information as well. I find it absurd and incompetent that no where in the BMW world they know where their $100K+ car is sitting. I am getting very close to getting a CLS63 or E63 for $250 cheaper per month.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
RPiM5
Brigadier General
85

 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.


Posts: 4,673
iTrader: (0)

Yeah this is starting to make me wish I had gotten an Audi R8 instead. I'm almost at the breaking point.
__________________
You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah this is starting to make me wish I had gotten an Audi R8 instead. I'm almost at the breaking point.
You...I can't even mess with you. I feel ashamed you saw my post. However, I know you can relate to BMW's sheer incompetence when it comes to logistics.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
72

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,832
iTrader: (0)

I don't even know who to call. BMW USA gives vague general responses.

The Georgia VDC directs me to the VPC.

And the VPC directs me to ask BMW USA.
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

I have a serious dilemma. So Monday marks 8 weeks. ( I was told initially 6-8 weeks standard) Car arrived at port Saturday and as of now BMWNA and my dealer have not received a change in status nor any additional info offered. I text my dealer at 3pm; "Is this typical? Its been 3 days and no change...Its not even at VPC, so this could mean theres a good chance I won't have it next week either?" He sends me a reply saying nothing is typical right now due to the storm, then begins to lecture me slightly about the situation in NJ. I immediately call him, he picks up and says he will call me right back. This now festers in my mind. Due to the non certainty of all of this and the 3 hours that go by, I call another dealer (3 hrs away) that has the same car I built in stock except it has the Driver pkg which I can care less about but its still $1900 more than the car I built. I explain the whole situation to the CA. He beats the price by $50.00 a month (plus don't forget the driver's pkg is incl) Now... I have known the sales manager at my local dealer for quite some time and I tell him of my discovery. He was cool about it, and said he will try and match the price. So...Do I go and pick up this car tomorrow? or should I give the local dealer till at least Monday and if the shipping status or VPC status has not changed I get the other car? I am inpatient but what concerns me the most is some of the horror stories I am hearing on the forum. Because BMW is not telling people anything, and the Baltimore VPC is overloaded with diverted cars that were supposed to go to the NJ port, maybe getting my car will take much longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
cmhsam
Major
23

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87
I have a serious dilemma. So Monday marks 8 weeks. ( I was told initially 6-8 weeks standard) Car arrived at port Saturday and as of now BMWNA and my dealer have not received a change in status nor any additional info offered. I text my dealer at 3pm; "Is this typical? Its been 3 days and no change...Its not even at VPC, so this could mean theres a good chance I won't have it next week either?" He sends me a reply saying nothing is typical right now due to the storm, then begins to lecture me slightly about the situation in NJ. I immediately call him, he picks up and says he will call me right back. This now festers in my mind. Due to the non certainty of all of this and the 3 hours that go by, I call another dealer (3 hrs away) that has the same car I built in stock except it has the Driver pkg which I can care less about but its still $1900 more than the car I built. I explain the whole situation to the CA. He beats the price by $50.00 a month (plus don't forget the driver's pkg is incl) Now... I have known the sales manager at my local dealer for quite some time and I tell him of my discovery. He was cool about it, and said he will try and match the price. So...Do I go and pick up this car tomorrow? or should I give the local dealer till at least Monday and if the shipping status or VPC status has not changed I get the other car? I am inpatient but what concerns me the most is some of the horror stories I am hearing on the forum. Because BMW is not telling people anything, and the Baltimore VPC is overloaded with diverted cars that were supposed to go to the NJ port, maybe getting my car will take much longer.
Go get the car tomorrow. Your sales manager at your current dealer is not extending the same courtesy to you that you are extending to them. There is no loyalty anymore. Go get the car and enjoy the weekend with your new toy. Your dealer should be extending every courtesy to you and dropping the price by more than $50 a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
72

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,832
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
I have a serious dilemma. So Monday marks 8 weeks. ( I was told initially 6-8 weeks standard) Car arrived at port Saturday and as of now BMWNA and my dealer have not received a change in status nor any additional info offered. I text my dealer at 3pm; "Is this typical? Its been 3 days and no change...Its not even at VPC, so this could mean theres a good chance I won't have it next week either?" He sends me a reply saying nothing is typical right now due to the storm, then begins to lecture me slightly about the situation in NJ. I immediately call him, he picks up and says he will call me right back. This now festers in my mind. Due to the non certainty of all of this and the 3 hours that go by, I call another dealer (3 hrs away) that has the same car I built in stock except it has the Driver pkg which I can care less about but its still $1900 more than the car I built. I explain the whole situation to the CA. He beats the price by $50.00 a month (plus don't forget the driver's pkg is incl) Now... I have known the sales manager at my local dealer for quite some time and I tell him of my discovery. He was cool about it, and said he will try and match the price. So...Do I go and pick up this car tomorrow? or should I give the local dealer till at least Monday and if the shipping status or VPC status has not changed I get the other car? I am inpatient but what concerns me the most is some of the horror stories I am hearing on the forum. Because BMW is not telling people anything, and the Baltimore VPC is overloaded with diverted cars that were supposed to go to the NJ port, maybe getting my car will take much longer.
Go get the car in stock at the other dealer. Your original dealer is not pricing competitively and he doesn't have a car to sell you nor any credible estimate on when he can sell the car to you.
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Go get the car in stock at the other dealer. Your original dealer is not pricing competitively and he doesn't have a car to sell you nor any credible estimate on when he can sell the car to you.
I'm leaning that way, I just kinda feel that I'm screwing over the dealer...but like you said, they're not being competitive. All I really wanted is a tentative answer from BMW of to what the status is.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
FLOMACKS
First Lieutenant
5

 
FLOMACKS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA


Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Go get the car in stock at the other dealer. Your original dealer is not pricing competitively and he doesn't have a car to sell you nor any credible estimate on when he can sell the car to you.
I'm leaning that way, I just kinda feel that I'm screwing over the dealer...but like you said, they're not being competitive. All I really wanted is a tentative answer from BMW of to what the status is.
Go get the other car and enjoy your weekend.
__________________
2014 911 C2S- Agate, MT, PDCC, SC, SE
2013 F-10 M5 -Silverstone, black, Exec, B&O, 20's
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
72

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,832
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
I'm leaning that way, I just kinda feel that I'm screwing over the dealer...but like you said, they're not being competitive. All I really wanted is a tentative answer from BMW of to what the status is.
You're not screwing the dealer unless you placed an Individual order. It sounds like your order is pretty mainstream.

A deal is a deal, unless the terms are not met, and the missed delivery estimate here is a breach of your fiduciary obligation. Them failing to pass on savings from current incentives (e.g. $2k holiday savings) is also costing them any favor you owe.
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You're not screwing the dealer unless you placed an Individual order. It sounds like your order is pretty mainstream.

A deal is a deal, unless the terms are not met, and the missed delivery estimate here is a breach of your fiduciary obligation. Them failing to pass on savings from current incentives (e.g. $2k holiday savings) is also costing them any favor you owe.
They honored the holiday savings but the other dealer is much more eager to make a sale. They have had that car on their floor plan for at least a month. The other thing I found out later that is a minor concern is I checked the vin and it had the oil pump issue. I assume it was replaced by now?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Plus Monday is 8 weeks, you don't think I'm jumping the gun?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
72

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,832
iTrader: (0)

Baltimore must be heavily backlogged. I am not expecting any car out of Brunswick by Monday, and your car is likely even more delayed because Baltimore has much much bigger backlog due to being smaller site with all the diverted NJ cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/07/h...y-have-ruined/
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
72

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,832
iTrader: (0)

Also the DA package is worth it for the SLI and HUD. Awesome features.
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #15
johntomferg
Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, TN


Posts: 575
iTrader: (0)

Go get the other car. The deal (if any) isn't finalized until vehicle is delivered.

Don't call the original dealer anymore about the car (to cancel or anything).

Remember that it is none of their business whether or if you go buy another car (M5 or BMW or etc etc), just that the deal is off and you aren't buying their's because they couldn't deliver.

IF the car ever shows up and they want you to come buy it, tell them:

"I don't know where the money is: nothing is typical right now. The last information I had was that the money was on a boat that was originally scheduled to be here in 8 weeks. I don't have any information on where the money is, but the bank knows where all the money is. You (the CA) should contact the bank to get the status on the money delivery."
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
"I don't know where the money is: nothing is typical right now. The last information I had was that the money was on a boat that was originally scheduled to be here in 8 weeks. I don't have any information on where the money is, but the bank knows where all the money is. You (the CA) should contact the bank to get the status on the money delivery."
LOL...that would be funny. Stealth has a valid point. The Baltimore VPC is smaller than Newark and who knows at this point due to the back log of when my car will arrive. I mostly blame BMW because they are aware of a delay and they also are aware that some cars are marked "priority 1" as sold units therefore they should reach out to their dealers and address our concerns by informing the customer of a timeframe estimation. Aside from that, the obvious contributing factor is $$$. I think the hype is dying down on the M5 already. I made the deal in September so they didnt take much of anything off the car. The other dealer has this car sitting on floorplan for over a month and right off the bat discounted around $2000. I will have to use this leverage I now have.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
aculeg87
Captain
United_States
15

 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Update- This worked in my favor and the two dealers went back and forth and I got the car much cheaper. I am picking it up later. The car I originally ordered is still in Baltimore. From what I understand the car is to be shipped eventually to Jersey and go to the VPC. Then it must get processed. No one can still give me a time frame. More than likely it would have been late next week or later.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
RPiM5
Brigadier General
85

 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.


Posts: 4,673
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Update- This worked in my favor and the two dealers went back and forth and I got the car much cheaper. I am picking it up later. The car I originally ordered is still in Baltimore. From what I understand the car is to be shipped eventually to Jersey and go to the VPC. Then it must get processed. No one can still give me a time frame. More than likely it would have been late next week or later.
Dude, sounds like you are doing the right thing. I wish I could do that with my ED, but then again, I got a rare combination, so it wouldn't work anyway.
__________________
You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California


Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
I am certain there are people on this forum already irate on how BMW has handled shipping, shipping ED cars, the oil pump epidemic....

Heres my dilemma, a few days from now will be 8 weeks. I did not do ED. The car arrived in Baltimore on Saturday. As of right now, no change to status of the vehicle. I called BMWNA and they are useless. They told me they have no idea where the car is other than the port of exit and my dealer would have more information. My dealer has no information as well. I find it absurd and incompetent that no where in the BMW world they know where their $100K+ car is sitting. I am getting very close to getting a CLS63 or E63 for $250 cheaper per month.

Perhaps a little background may help people calm down, even though I'm sure everyone feels like I do -- I really find it hard being patient only because I can't wait to drive the car again after driving it for 3 weeks in Europe.

The ship with my car reached the port of entry about midnight October 27th, the car got to the VPC (about 1 1/2 miles away) on the 28th. It is still at the VPC.

HOWEVER, I have been to this VPC several times in the past and I was there last week -- I have never seen so many cars in the lot as there are now. In the past it was very rare for the lot to be half full, now it is completely full. U. S. Customs even has an impound lot at the VPC and it looks like they can't get one more car in their lot. And this is on the west coast, I understand that the situation is pretty much the same at the other VPCs. And this was before the east coast storm. The VPCs are swamped with cars!

As far as your dealer knowing where the car is, my dealer previously told me when the car reached the VPC -- on the day after it actually did. She called me yesterday to tell me that the status report showed the VPC started working on the car yesterday! Your dealer should be able to do the same, if they want to!

If you were familar with the history of BMW deliveries you'd know that because of workload and other issues it isn't all that unusual that a car can be at a VPC for up to two weeks. If we don't know what is involved in getting the cars ready for and getting to the dealer, how long it actually takes, how many cars can be handled in a day by a particular VPC, etc. it is easy for us to think it can be done in a day. The problem is, we don't know what we don't know; if we knew maybe we'd understand.

I'm as anxious as anyone, but I'm trying to understand. I also understand that BMW has an interest in getting cars into the hands of customers because it doesn't count as a 'sale' in that great race with M-B and Audi until they do.

Hang in there, the car is worth it!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
72

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,832
iTrader: (0)

I think this argument that the VPC has a ton of work is off. First of all BMW built the entire car in a week and we drove that car, so there can't have been that much more to do.

Second, the cars are now fully US Spec on ED pickup. They even have the US maps on them (last year the VPC had to load those) and the US software settings (which is why the orange side markers were lighting up even when we were in Europe).

The reality is BMW inspects the car, and if there is nothing wrong, it clears for shipping to dealer the next day. Last year, my ED car cleared VPC within 1 day of customs clearance because there was nothing to fix. This was two weeks before thanksgiving so around the same time we are now.

So for the case of new and pristine cars without oil pump recalls or chip/dent repair, the process should be quick. I know there may be seasonality in shipping volumes, but if customs was able to clear the entire boat in 48 hours (they inspect every car individually too), then why can't BMW inspect every car in 48 hours. Most cars should be ready for VDC to ship in that timeframe. Oil pump recall cars are an exception obviously.

What is evident here is that BMW has a massive backlog in the inspection process while US Customs does not have a massive backlog in their comparable inspection process. This tells me BMW is less competent at labor forecasting and planning than the US government. Shame on them!
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
krispykreme
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mission SJ CA


Posts: 250
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
Perhaps a little background may help people calm down, even though I'm sure everyone feels like I do -- I really find it hard being patient only because I can't wait to drive the car again after driving it for 3 weeks in Europe.

The ship with my car reached the port of entry about midnight October 27th, the car got to the VPC (about 1 1/2 miles away) on the 28th. It is still at the VPC.

HOWEVER, I have been to this VPC several times in the past and I was there last week -- I have never seen so many cars in the lot as there are now. In the past it was very rare for the lot to be half full, now it is completely full. U. S. Customs even has an impound lot at the VPC and it looks like they can't get one more car in their lot. And this is on the west coast, I understand that the situation is pretty much the same at the other VPCs. And this was before the east coast storm. The VPCs are swamped with cars!

As far as your dealer knowing where the car is, my dealer previously told me when the car reached the VPC -- on the day after it actually did. She called me yesterday to tell me that the status report showed the VPC started working on the car yesterday! Your dealer should be able to do the same, if they want to!

If you were familar with the history of BMW deliveries you'd know that because of workload and other issues it isn't all that unusual that a car can be at a VPC for up to two weeks. If we don't know what is involved in getting the cars ready for and getting to the dealer, how long it actually takes, how many cars can be handled in a day by a particular VPC, etc. it is easy for us to think it can be done in a day. The problem is, we don't know what we don't know; if we knew maybe we'd understand.

I'm as anxious as anyone, but I'm trying to understand. I also understand that BMW has an interest in getting cars into the hands of customers because it doesn't count as a 'sale' in that great race with M-B and Audi until they do.

Hang in there, the car is worth it!
I have been to VPC several times as well.

My beef is that there are cars that were made two weeks after my drop off in germany on 9/16. Made a boat that only left a week behind my boat. That car is delivered before mine.

I am furious because BMW has not told me anything after monday.

So far BMW has wasted 4.5 weeks on delivery of my car.

1.
My car made to port on 9/19. But it missed Fidelio that left on 9/28. I made cephues leader on 10/1. Why did my car set until 10/1 is beyond me. At worse case I would have been on Fidelio that left 9 days after my car reaches port.

2. Cepheus leader arrived on 10/25. The custom was cleared on 26th. But BMW told me they go my car on 30th, which is BS. Because their own website showed my car at VPC on 28th.

3. I had a little chip on my rear bumper that requires new paint. But from 10/28 to today 11/8. A total of 11 days. I have no idea what is going on.

The fact that a later car made earlier than mine is not acceptable.
__________________
-13 F10 M5 6MT (Amazonite Silver)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California


Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I think this argument that the VPC has a ton of work is off. First of all BMW built the entire car in a week and we drove that car, so there can't have been that much more to do.

Second, the cars are now fully US Spec on ED pickup. They even have the US maps on them (last year the VPC had to load those) and the US software settings (which is why the orange side markers were lighting up even when we were in Europe).

The reality is BMW inspects the car, and if there is nothing wrong, it clears for shipping to dealer the next day. Last year, my ED car cleared VPC within 1 day of customs clearance because there was nothing to fix. This was two weeks before thanksgiving so around the same time we are now.

So for the case of new and pristine cars without oil pump recalls or chip/dent repair, the process should be quick. I know there may be seasonality in shipping volumes, but if customs was able to clear the entire boat in 48 hours (they inspect every car individually too), then why can't BMW inspect every car in 48 hours. Most cars should be ready for VDC to ship in that timeframe. Oil pump recall cars are an exception obviously.

What is evident here is that BMW has a massive backlog in the inspection process while US Customs does not have a massive backlog in their comparable inspection process. This tells me BMW is less competent at labor forecasting and planning than the US government. Shame on them!
An example of you don't know what you don't know! An opinion stated like a fact doesn't make it a fact.

On the west coast the Customs impound lot is located on the VPC property -- last week it was completely full; I was there. The west coast VPC can process about 250 cars a day. Some RoRos can carry upwards of 7,000 cars. The ship arriving at the west coast VPC made one stop on the way, in San Diego where they don't have much dock space for cars at the dock where the ship stopped. After the BMW VPC the ship went to Japan to pick up Japanese cars. (It was a Japanese shipping comany - NYK Line).

To check a single car for shipping body damage alone takes several minutes, I've watched them do it. In additionn, each car is run through a carwash that takes about 5 minutes, not including the time it takes to drive it to the wash equipment. Then there is a software process that needs to take place to "wake" the car from shipping mode. There's many other things including polishing them.

Also, RPiM5 reported his CA told him: "Well my CA made a good point saying that since BMW decided to redirect their unsold cars from Europe and China to the U.S. Market, the cargo ships are fully laden with BMW's. Making the VPC's flooded with brand new BMW's getting off the ships. Thusly slowing down VPC processing." My CA told me essentially the same thing -- BMW is sending them so many cars they don't know where to put them.

Your underlining premise -- your first sentence -- is "off." The resulting opinions are not factually correct.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST