M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

M5 vs upcoming RS6

Hi everyone,

I'm scared (well not actually scared) that the RS6 will be a better car than the F10 M5. I hate the fact that Audi releases their RS models later than BMW with M and Mercedes-Benz with AMG. They're just gonna show up 2 years after the F10 with their V10 and say "Here you go, you BMW f***ers, we have a V10 with around 600hp containing two turbos that we placed in the center of the V layout just like you did. Beat that!" They did almost the same thing to the E39 M5 when they released the RS6 5 years after the E39.

All of these thoughts, honestly get me mad... What are your opinions on this?
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
koxal
Her Zaman Her Yerde
 
koxal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SG F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
That's what we call competition...
And this war will never end between all these brands...

New M will beat existing AMG, then new AMG will beat existing RS etc etc...
__________________
Sold My Black Beast

Here is the new ride
koxal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
mhh
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

More choices for us - I can't see the problem. It's only an issue if you wear a lot of BMW clothing.
mhh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,625
iTrader: (0)

Personally I don't think AWD can beat RWD driving dynamics.

If you like doing straight line acceleration at a drag strip then RS6 is your car. If you like to drive a technical race track like PBIR or Road Atlanta, then the M5 will beat the shit out of the RS6.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
 
Used2be's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 SpaceGray/SO
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan, USA

Posts: 476
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
That's what we call competition...
And this war will never end between all these brands...

New M will beat existing AMG, then new AMG will beat existing RS etc etc...
Agreed. And all to our benefit, except for those of us who might have a strong brand identification, and those years when our brand is not the best can be frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Personally I don't think AWD can beat RWD driving dynamics.

If you like doing straight line acceleration at a drag strip then RS6 is your car. If you like to drive a technical race track like PBIR or Road Atlanta, then the M5 will beat the shit out of the RS6.
I personally like rear wheel drive because that's what I'm used to. But I think AWD has advantages both on the drag strip and a road race course. In the hands of equally skilled drivers, the AWD will have the edge over the RWD given equal weight and horsepower. For street use and never driving at 10/10ths, I prefer to not have the extra mechanical worries that AWD puts under the car. Of course for utilitarian, non-performance driving in wet, snowy, or otherwise slippery conditions AWD is certainly better there also.
Used2be is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
smashhell
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

Generally I don't think this is a problem.
Audi build their RS in such limited quantity, they aren't even available in US. You can't compare cars that you can't actually buy.
Plus I don't think a car that looks exactly same as an A4 is very appealing anyway.
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
smashhell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
clar
Captain
 
clar's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Singapore

Posts: 846
iTrader: (0)

I don't care how fast the RS6 goes, but give it a couple of bends and the cracks start to show. Driving feel and feedback is where they fall flat on their face.
__________________

Current Rides: Frozen Grey F10 M5 DCT
- Frozen Grey E92 M3 Sold
- 458 Speciale on order. ETA Oct 2014
clar is offline   Singapore
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,625
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
I don't care how fast the RS6 goes, but give it a couple of bends and the cracks start to show. Driving feel and feedback is where they fall flat on their face.
Agree. AWD may be faster on track but it is less fun.

Did you see Chris Harris review of the Audi RS3 vs M135i?

I think the M5 vs RS6 review would be even more of a slam dunk than that one.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
efm9821
Private
 
efm9821's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alabama

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
I agree this is competition and that is very healthy! Who benefits? We do! As for whether Audi is more market savvy, think about the development cycle of these cars. When I was doing my ED last month and talking to the F10 M5 lead project engineer (courtesy of JMH on this forum, thanks!!) he stated that the F10 M5 team took 2.5 yrs once they were handed the F10 chassis. Therefore Audi is simply following and not really Even a fast follower at that. I'm sure they will take a similar course with the M3 vs A4 RS. Innovation and Leadership are BMWs heritage. In the end, market acceptance decides and give the number of M cars on the road pretty much sums that question.
efm9821 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,625
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm9821 View Post
I agree this is competition and that is very healthy! Who benefits? We do! As for whether Audi is more market savvy, think about the development cycle of these cars. When I was doing my ED last month and talking to the F10 M5 lead project engineer (courtesy of JMH on this forum, thanks!!) he stated that the F10 M5 team took 2.5 yrs once they were handed the F10 chassis. Therefore Audi is simply following and not really Even a fast follower at that. I'm sure they will take a similar course with the M3 vs A4 RS. Innovation and Leadership are BMWs heritage. In the end, market acceptance decides and give the number of M cars on the road pretty much sums that question.
The M Cars will be coming earlier too. BMW has started to parallel develop them which is why we see M3, M4 and X5M prototypes in testing already. I would expect no more than 6 month delay going forward (vs. 2 year delay for F10 M5 vs F10).
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
krispykreme
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mission SJ CA

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw8
Hi everyone,

I'm scared (well not actually scared) that the RS6 will be a better car than the F10 M5. I hate the fact that Audi releases their RS models later than BMW with M and Mercedes-Benz with AMG. They're just gonna show up 2 years after the F10 with their V10 and say "Here you go, you BMW f***ers, we have a V10 with around 600hp containing two turbos that we placed in the center of the V layout just like you did. Beat that!" They did almost the same thing to the E39 M5 when they released the RS6 5 years after the E39.

All of these thoughts, honestly get me mad... What are your opinions on this?
That is was exactly the reason why I ended up buying E55 and sold my E39.

It was biggest mistake I ever made.

I don't really care who got the biggest ball. I did that once. Never again. I ended up selling a car I loved with a car that I hated after buying it.

The RS6 if it really comes to US. I may go drive one and decide if I want it.

I am not in love with my F10. In fact it will be replaced within a year or so. F10 is a stop gap car until the M6 Gran Coupe shows up here.

If RS6 comes out, it will be on my list to check out.
__________________
-13 F10 M5 6MT (Amazonite Silver)
krispykreme is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Boss330
Colonel
 
Boss330's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 ACS5 3.0i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

Posts: 2,847
iTrader: (0)

Look at it another way; BMW leads the race and holds that lead for a long time. Then Audi shows up (late) with their competitor. This gives BMW the opportunity to develop the next gen M5 into a even better car than the Audi.

And, how many magazines have chosen the Audi over the M5? Regardless of more HP. It's the total package and driving dynamics that makes BMW excel. How can Audi get the same handling when they have a big engine hanging in front of the front wheels???
Boss330 is online now   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Look at it another way; BMW leads the race and holds that lead for a long time. Then Audi shows up (late) with their competitor. This gives BMW the opportunity to develop the next gen M5 into a even better car than the Audi.

And, how many magazines have chosen the Audi over the M5? Regardless of more HP. It's the total package and driving dynamics that makes BMW excel. How can Audi get the same handling when they have a big engine hanging in front of the front wheels???
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
nugent
Lieutenant
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Drives: f10 m5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: san francisco

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Personally I don't think AWD can beat RWD driving dynamics.

If you like doing straight line acceleration at a drag strip then RS6 is your car. If you like to drive a technical race track like PBIR or Road Atlanta, then the M5 will beat the shit out of the RS6.
dude, 3 letters: GTR.
__________________
e92 m3 6MT, RS4 6MT, S4 Avant 6MT, WRX 5MT, Corsica

nugent is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST