M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
 
B-1Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In a Hot Place

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone done their Frozen in Xpel Stealth?

I am trying to determine color for a future order. I am 90% certain I want Brillriant White Metallic. I am very intrigued by the frozen variant -- however I dont want to have to repaint it in a couple of years -- and where I live and will be living (now DC, future west Texas) the car will take a bit of a beating from road.

It seems like the best solution if you want a frozen color is to wrap the car with Xpel Stealth... but this brings about 3 big questions. First, does it preserve the frozen color, or does it change it to matte? Will it require a full wrap for it to look uniform throughout the car? If so, why not just buy a Brilliant White Metallic (glossy) car, and wrap it with Xpel Stealth to give it the Frozen 'look' that can be removed in the future if need be?

Thanks in advance...
__________________
2014 ///M5 w/CP || My Epic ED trip report|| 2013 335ix || 2009 BMW R1200RT
B-1Pilot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
thebishman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Overland Park, KS

Posts: 453
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
I am trying to determine color for a future order. I am 90% certain I want Brillriant White Metallic. I am very intrigued by the frozen variant -- however I dont want to have to repaint it in a couple of years -- and where I live and will be living (now DC, future west Texas) the car will take a bit of a beating from road.

It seems like the best solution if you want a frozen color is to wrap the car with Xpel Stealth... but this brings about 3 big questions. First, does it preserve the frozen color, or does it change it to matte? Will it require a full wrap for it to look uniform throughout the car? If so, why not just buy a Brilliant White Metallic (glossy) car, and wrap it with Xpel Stealth to give it the Frozen 'look' that can be removed in the future if need be?

Thanks in advance...
Best bet would be to cover an AW M5 with the Xpel Stealth or Premier's Satin Guard product. Probably cheaper also. And yes the whole car would need to be covered.
If you order a matte colour from the factory, cover it in the Xpel Ultimate or another competitive product. Placing a 'matte' film over an already matte painted car would not be necessary.
I had a 2010 R8 V10 in gloss black completely covered by Premier in their Satin Guard; looked like it was painted that way from the factory and stopped traffic it looked so awesome; (imho of course. lol)
Bish
thebishman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Best bet would be to cover an AW M5 with the Xpel Stealth or Premier's Satin Guard product. Probably cheaper also. And yes the whole car would need to be covered.
If you order a matte colour from the factory, cover it in the Xpel Ultimate or another competitive product. Placing a 'matte' film over an already matte painted car would not be necessary.
I had a 2010 R8 V10 in gloss black completely covered by Premier in their Satin Guard; looked like it was painted that way from the factory and stopped traffic it looked so awesome; (imho of course. lol)
Bish
From the specs, the satin guard sounds like a much better product.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
 
B-1Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In a Hot Place

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Ok, a bit confused now.

a). Is there any film you can cover a frozen paint job with that maintains its frozen look? I was led to believe that standard films would 'add' the missing glossiness and negate the frozen effect. I have seen exactly one frozen M5 with film and its film was quite obvious half way up the hood.

b). Does satin guard simulate a frozen color? website is a bit vague: http://www.prestige-films.com/auto_satinguard.shtml

c). If satin guard or XPel stealth do this.. should the underlying color be metallic? Meaning that with the films a solid like Alpine White (AW) or Jet Black would look matte, but a metallic like Brilliant White (BW) or Black Sapphire would look frozen.

My bottomline is that while color and finish are cool, protection of the car's paint is key for me. I have no problems wrapping the whole thing, but dont want to drop 5k on a frozen paint job that wont be able to be appreciated once wrapped in a plastic. If its not possible to remain looking the same (or very close) I will just go BW and use PPF and Opti Guard.

Thanks for the info so far.
__________________
2014 ///M5 w/CP || My Epic ED trip report|| 2013 335ix || 2009 BMW R1200RT
B-1Pilot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
thebishman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Overland Park, KS

Posts: 453
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Ok, a bit confused now.

a). Is there any film you can cover a frozen paint job with that maintains its frozen look? I was led to believe that standard films would 'add' the missing glossiness and negate the frozen effect. I have seen exactly one frozen M5 with film and its film was quite obvious half way up the hood.

b). Does satin guard simulate a frozen color? website is a bit vague: http://www.prestige-films.com/auto_satinguard.shtml

c). If satin guard or XPel stealth do this.. should the underlying color be metallic? Meaning that with the films a solid like Alpine White (AW) or Jet Black would look matte, but a metallic like Brilliant White (BW) or Black Sapphire would look frozen.

My bottomline is that while color and finish are cool, protection of the car's paint is key for me. I have no problems wrapping the whole thing, but dont want to drop 5k on a frozen paint job that wont be able to be appreciated once wrapped in a plastic. If its not possible to remain looking the same (or very close) I will just go BW and use PPF and Opti Guard.

Thanks for the info so far.
As explained to me by Premier before I had the R8 covered, the Satin Guard will change whatever colour the car is painted into a 'matte', e.g. Gloss black to matte black, gloss white to matte white, etc. I am not sure what effect it would have when applied to a 'frozen' colour which is essentially matte from the factory. In your position I would call them directly and ask as they are the experts. To totally cover the car is not cheap especially the way Premier does it, meaning they wrap every edge possible and remove trim, badges etc so as to hide all edges. Hence my suggestion to not spend the money on the paint, but to save it for the film. Btw, one great feature of the Satin Guard is that it is so damn easy to take care of. No waxing, just wash and dry the car. Plus it is 8 mil thick so will protect all covered surfaces as well as a regular 3M type film. Good luck with the decision.
Bish
thebishman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
 
B-1Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In a Hot Place

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

I very much appreciate your responses.. this is the way I am leaning - just wrap a normally painted car for the effect. It can always then be removed if I tire of the novelty or need to resell, plus the added benefit of the protection.
__________________
2014 ///M5 w/CP || My Epic ED trip report|| 2013 335ix || 2009 BMW R1200RT
B-1Pilot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Tim@XPEL
Registered
 
Drives: 11 R8
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Although it has become common for folks to change the appearance of their car to matte using XPEL Stealth by covering every panel, its main purpose is protecting matte finishes. Until this type of product came to the market, people who bought a vehicle with a matte paint finish had no way to protect their paint without changing the appearance where it was covered. As someone else stated above, using glossy film on a matte finish will make the surface glossy, just as using matte on a glossy finish will make the surface matte.

To the original poster, if you have access to a vehicle with the frozen finish (or even a painted swatch) I can send you a sample of Stealth so you can see what it would look like. This may help you decide which way to order the car.
Tim@XPEL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@XPEL View Post
Although it has become common for folks to change the appearance of their car to matte using XPEL Stealth by covering every panel, its main purpose is protecting matte finishes. Until this type of product came to the market, people who bought a vehicle with a matte paint finish had no way to protect their paint without changing the appearance where it was covered. As someone else stated above, using glossy film on a matte finish will make the surface glossy, just as using matte on a glossy finish will make the surface matte.

To the original poster, if you have access to a vehicle with the frozen finish (or even a painted swatch) I can send you a sample of Stealth so you can see what it would look like. This may help you decide which way to order the car.
Does Xpel Stealth have any metallic content? Also does it have a matte finish or a satin finish?
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
eNCore
///M 5light
 
eNCore's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, 626

Posts: 433
iTrader: (1)

I was at Premier getting my M3 tinted when the R8 was there. Wonder if it was yours Bish? It was around July of last year. The satin guard will change the color of your car from gloss to matte and it also works like clear bra, BUT it costs like 10k to wrap the whole car at Premier!
__________________
13 MCB ///M5

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
eNCore is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Tim@XPEL
Registered
 
Drives: 11 R8
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Does Xpel Stealth have any metallic content? Also does it have a matte finish or a satin finish?
No metallic content. Just a matte clear finish. I have heard those terms used interchangeably, so I'm not sure which one to tell you. I am happy to send a sample though so you can see it first hand.
Tim@XPEL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
 
runningthingz's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen White M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

This matte white pearl Lambo turned out great with the Xpel stealth wrap. http://www.xpel.com/installations/viewrelease.asp?id=42 Hoping for the same result with mine.
runningthingz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
 
runningthingz's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen White M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

Just got the car back, looks awesome. Evan nailed it! He used XPEL Stealth Ultimate. Check out the pics here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7947529&type=1
runningthingz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
 
B-1Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In a Hot Place

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Wow, that does look great. Thanks for posting pics link.

What parts did you wrap? whole car? just front fender? rockers? can you see any seams, or if they are all hidden, can you tell which panel is wrapped and which isnt?
__________________
2014 ///M5 w/CP || My Epic ED trip report|| 2013 335ix || 2009 BMW R1200RT
B-1Pilot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
 
runningthingz's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen White M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

I got the hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, head lights (clear wrap), rockers, and half the rear bumper. The seam on the rear bumper follows the body line so you can't even tell. I'm going to go back in and have the doors and rest of the car done since it looks so good just to have the full protection.

The color matches perfect. You really can't tell what's wrapped and what isn't. I'm going to get some hi-res pics later today so you can see in greater detail.
runningthingz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
 
DesertEagle50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: near Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 190
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Looks great. How long did it take?
DesertEagle50 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
 
runningthingz's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen White M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle50
Looks great. How long did it take?
One day.
runningthingz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST