M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,374
iTrader: (0)

I was going down the interstate at 85mph in a 65mph limit area and a woman in a minivan felt it was necessary to move into the left lane to block me. She was so passionate about ensuring I observe the speed limit that she got her panties in a bunch and she used her minivan laden with her own children as a human shield to enforce the speed limit.

Should we be observing the speed limits?
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Tomcat2048
Private
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

I don't observe the speed limits...always do at least 80 in a 65mph zone...and if someone deliberately decided to pull into the left lane or passing lane to block me in, they would get the horn as well as be cut off
Tomcat2048 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
mwlmd
Major
 
mwlmd's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I was going down the interstate at 85mph in a 65mph limit area and a woman in a minivan felt it was necessary to move into the left lane to block me. She was so passionate about ensuring I observe the speed limit that she got her panties in a bunch and she used her minivan laden with her own children as a human shield to enforce the speed limit.

Should we be observing the speed limits?
I am having full countermeasures installed tomorrow morning. However, there did not appear to be an option for anti "slow moving vehicle blocking the left hand lane" measures. Hmmmmm

Anyone have any ideas to counter this common USA HWY nuisance?

It would appear that the above mentioned minivan is as effective as a visible LEO!
__________________
M3 (gone but not forgotten)
Jerez/Fox/Aluminum/6MT
F10 M5
Alpine/Sakhir/Anthracite/DCT
E90
mwlmd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,374
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I am having full countermeasures installed tomorrow morning. However, there did not appear to be an option for anti "slow moving vehicle blocking the left hand lane" measures. Hmmmmm

Anyone have any ideas to counter this common USA HWY nuisance?

It would appear that the above mentioned minivan is as effective as a visible LEO!
The most effective way to combat this is to install green strobe lights on your car like the polizei M5 car. They can be concealed in the grille.

I have this friend who works for the British government and he says that having your local quartermaster install torpedo launchers can also be very effective and also a little more satisfying.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
mwlmd
Major
 
mwlmd's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The most effective way to combat this is to install green strobe lights on your car like the polizei M5 car. They can be concealed in the grille.

I have this friend who works for the British government and he says that having your local quartermaster install torpedo launchers can also be very effective and also a little more satisfying.
Boy do I miss the traffic flow on the Autobahn
__________________
M3 (gone but not forgotten)
Jerez/Fox/Aluminum/6MT
F10 M5
Alpine/Sakhir/Anthracite/DCT
E90
mwlmd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
SANguru
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5,F30 AH3,F430,MP4-12C
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 362
iTrader: (0)

you should observe the panties.
SANguru is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 832
iTrader: (0)

I seriously want this as a decal on my hood (reversed, of course):

__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!) - 2013 Cirrus SR22T
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
aculeg87
Captain
 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 MCB/SS ///M5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 739
iTrader: (0)

Wow...what a dumbass. With her kids in the car. Who the f@&k does she think she is. I would have lost my mind. Anyway... I have this same problem too. I find myself driving 10 mph faster usually than I did with my E60. You truly don't feel it as much in this car.

I have a cool idea I have always wanted to do. I wanted to take out the rear sunshade and put in white tape " why the f&$k are you n the left lane" or "move the f&$k over" . This would obviously apply after I passed them.
aculeg87 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
Bimmer6
Captain
 
Bimmer6's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 991S/F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL

Posts: 958
iTrader: (0)

Now that was funny!
Bimmer6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Charlie Brown
First Lieutenant
 
Charlie Brown's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

To answer your question; yes you "should" obey speed limits. Does that mean I always obey speed limits? No I do not.. I'm often 10 or 15 over on the freeway especially if the flow of traffic is over by the same amount. In a neighborhood or school zone, absolutely I'm at or just under the limit.

That said, during rush hour all bets are off.. I know people going various speeds will be in every lane and I just deal with it..

Now if I'm out on the freeway with relatively light traffic and I run up on a person cruising the left lane that won't give way.. I will sometimes provide a free driving lesson. I start by flashing my high beams in an attempt to ensure the driver of the car ahead of me is aware that I'm behind them. If I'm satisfied that they have said awareness and they don't give way I will do one of two things.. 1) if at night I may elect to turn on my high beams and ride close to the left line trying to get my left beam right in their driver's side mirror while the right beam is illuminating their rear view mirror. This is a fun game and gets interesting responses.. . 2) if no one else is behind me I will pass on the right (using my turn signal of course) and pull back into the left lane in front of them. I will then ease off the accelerator to allow the car to coast and decelerate down to whatever ridiculous slow speed is sufficient to dislodge the offending car from the left lane. Of course I'm watching the lane behind so as to see any oncoming traffic. Lowest speed ever achieved was 10mph but only for a for a minute. This has never failed to achieve the desired result.. Namely pissing off the left lane cruiser.

I'm not sure any if drivers realize that that any car going any speed greater than they are going has right of way to the left lane on any road where there is a posted sign indicating slower traffic keep right. The sign is clear and does not mean slower traffic keep right unless you citizen believe you are entitled to enforce what you think is a reasonable limit. In fact, failure to give right away is against the law and left lane cruisers are law breakers. The idea being, you don't know why someone is going faster than you or the posted limit and the law requires you to give way. The other car could be in a legitimate emergency. I doubt they get all that from my lesson but in my self righteous and egotistical way I'm happy..

P.s. I never apply this lessons in my M5; only when in my F150 which I'm fully prepared to swap paint with.
Charlie Brown is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Falcao
Private First Class
 
Falcao's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baltimore

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
To answer your question; yes you "should" obey speed limits. Does that mean I always obey speed limits? No I do not.. I'm often 10 or 15 over on the freeway especially if the flow of traffic is over by the same amount. In a neighborhood or school zone, absolutely I'm at or just under the limit.

That said, during rush hour all bets are off.. I know people going various speeds will be in every lane and I just deal with it..

Now if I'm out on the freeway with relatively light traffic and I run up on a person cruising the left lane that won't give way.. I will sometimes provide a free driving lesson. I start by flashing my high beams in an attempt to ensure the driver of the car ahead of me is aware that I'm behind them. If I'm satisfied that they have said awareness and they don't give way I will do one of two things.. 1) if at night I may elect to turn on my high beams and ride close to the left line trying to get my left beam right in their driver's side mirror while the right beam is illuminating their rear view mirror. This is a fun game and gets interesting responses.. . 2) if no one else is behind me I will pass on the right (using my turn signal of course) and pull back into the left lane in front of them. I will then ease off the accelerator to allow the car to coast and decelerate down to whatever ridiculous slow speed is sufficient to dislodge the offending car from the left lane. Of course I'm watching the lane behind so as to see any oncoming traffic. Lowest speed ever achieved was 10mph but only for a for a minute. This has never failed to achieve the desired result.. Namely pissing off the left lane cruiser.

I'm not sure any if drivers realize that that any car going any speed greater than they are going has right of way to the left lane on any road where there is a posted sign indicating slower traffic keep right. The sign is clear and does not mean slower traffic keep right unless you citizen believe you are entitled to enforce what you think is a reasonable limit. In fact, failure to give right away is against the law and left lane cruisers are law breakers. The idea being, you don't know why someone is going faster than you or the posted limit and the law requires you to give way. The other car could be in a legitimate emergency. I doubt they get all that from my lesson but in my self righteous and egotistical way I'm happy..

P.s. I never apply this lessons in my M5; only when in my F150 which I'm fully prepared to swap paint with.


You are my HERO. I was going to ask if you encountered a nutcase while executing Option2 that did not mind swapping paint but i saw you do it with other cars and not the M5

I am old and not an advocate of confrontation on the highway while in the M5 because chances are the M5 costs 10x more than a beat up minivan and not worth the effort really. I would just overtake on the right and be on the way. I would however take the car up to rev limiter and with aftermarket exhaust can be equivalent of f... you when passing offending car.
Falcao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Poleposition's Avatar
 
Drives: very well
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Stealth, i see what you did here. Very clever. It seems no one else picked up on it though. Too bad. Maybe a link to thread that inspired you?
__________________
20135
21" DPE Super Concave, Meisterschaft GTC w/LXR midpipes, BMC filters, Charcoal delete, H&R springs, IND cosmetic pkg, M-Performance Spoiler, Wrapped roof, Hardwired V1, Coded
2013 X6 50i MSport

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Poleposition is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
efm9821
Private
 
efm9821's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alabama

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
All great ideas on counter-measures, I love 'em! The sunshade option intrigues me!

This past weekend, I was driving through NC (East side of the Smokies) loving the M5's handling, came up and over a rise and LEO gave me the Instant On at the crest, no other traffic around, 4 wide, beautiful lanes, 55mph speed limit ... obvious trap that I fell in!. Even my STiR Plus and LI's, I was tagged for a lowly 75mph (going over 80mph, LEO said he liked my car with a smirk!).

I too dearly miss the autobahn!

Drive safe all and watch out for the LEOs!
efm9821 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
mwlmd
Major
 
mwlmd's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm9821
All great ideas on counter-measures, I love 'em! The sunshade option intrigues me!

This past weekend, I was driving through NC (East side of the Smokies) loving the M5's handling, came up and over a rise and LEO gave me the Instant On at the crest, no other traffic around, 4 wide, beautiful lanes, 55mph speed limit ... obvious trap that I fell in!. Even my STiR Plus and LI's, I was tagged for a lowly 75mph (going over 80mph, LEO said he liked my car with a smirk!).

I too dearly miss the autobahn!

Drive safe all and watch out for the LEOs!
That is painful. A ticket with all those countermeasures in place and operational?
__________________
M3 (gone but not forgotten)
Jerez/Fox/Aluminum/6MT
F10 M5
Alpine/Sakhir/Anthracite/DCT
E90
mwlmd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
dean_g
Second Lieutenant
 
dean_g's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 296
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to dean_g
I see what you did there
dean_g is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,539
iTrader: (0)

haha, looks like u got ur panties in a bunch by the other thread
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Boss330
Colonel
 
Boss330's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 ACS5 3.0i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

Posts: 2,241
iTrader: (0)

Should we be replying to this thread
Boss330 is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
SANguru
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5,F30 AH3,F430,MP4-12C
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 362
iTrader: (0)

LOL @ all the replies..
SANguru is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,374
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
haha, looks like u got ur panties in a bunch by the other thread
No I was just bored. Was on a three hour flight last night, had no movies, but had wifi access...
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
MTV
Banned
 
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,906
iTrader: (1)

What I do with people like that is I make eye contact with and give them a big THUMBS DOWN
MTV is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
 
LAKEOM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I was going down the interstate at 85mph in a 65mph limit area and a woman in a minivan felt it was necessary to move into the left lane to block me. She was so passionate about ensuring I observe the speed limit that she got her panties in a bunch and she used her minivan laden with her own children as a human shield to enforce the speed limit.

Should we be observing the speed limits?
Yes you do.

The countermeasures you have in your car are just to get hot chicks.

Hot chicks love the minutiae auto technology* In college I dragged plenty of hot ass out of bars with my explanation of HP vs Torque.


* In order for this to work properly you must also be good looking, rich and have a huge package.
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
 
kdbryce's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,947
iTrader: (0)

you should have just blasted past her and gave her the finger
__________________
13 Black Sapphire e92 335i - 10 Le Mans Blue e92 335i - 09 Monaco Blue e92 328i xdrive - 07 Sparkling Graphite e92 328xi
kdbryce is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST