M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
PJFLA
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Trunk is HUGE on M6.
PJFLA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
smashhell
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 460
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
What I think:

1) Sedan market is bigger than Coupe/Cabrio market
2) M5 is the best sedan on the market so it gets a disproportionate share of the high end sedans
3) There are many other competitors in the coupe/cabrio space, some of which are quite credible. I wouldn't say the M6 is the best coupe/cabrio - Maybe cars from Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari can claim that. But regardless of your budget, you can't beat an M5. So M6 doesn't get a disproprtionate share, and is has fiercer competition in a smaller market.
Exactly!
It's all about the market share.
There always has been a bigger market for sedan than coupes.
You can ask the same question why are there more 3 series sedan than coupe. I think you'll get the same answers.
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
smashhell is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
 
Drives: Frozen white m5/Fire orange m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los alamitos, California

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
Not much of 'usable' back seats for the 6.
Lol umm I have a dirty mind. Do you mean usable as in your gf and you usable or... Family? Hahaha
HatersGonHateSMH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFLA View Post
Trunk is HUGE on M6.
It is.

A comparison of the M6 and the F32 4 Series Coupe Concept really highlighted this: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778527
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
pdp4
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW m5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

I have had both E60 M5, then M6 convertible, and now F10 M5, and if you figure out who is the target market for these, most have kids. As much as I love convertible, I got tired of getting out every time I had to let my kids in and out. M6 is not a roadster, is not a light coupe, etc. I am happy with my new M5 and it has 4 doors! ;-)
pdp4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
Alex.br
///M Power
 
Alex.br's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 1M, 2012 X5M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BR

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW E82 1M  [5.00]
2009 BMW E60 M5  [5.00]
2012 E70 X5M  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
Not much of 'usable' back seats for the 6.
Same here.
__________________

2013 F10 M5 Brilliant White - Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust + 21" ADV.1 10.01 SL + GruppeM Intake
2012 E82 1M Alpine White - Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust + Soon: 20" ADV.1 5.01
2012 E70 X5M Alpine White
Alex.br is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
singularity
Driver
 
singularity's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 (F10)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slovakia

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

I think most people who say M5 "because it can carry kids" are just carrying mainstream words. I mean come on, how often do you drive your whole family in your M5? If too often to choose an M5 - then you bought the wrong car. Better choice would've been a 5 series and a dedicated 2 door sports car.

I think the preference is based on age and how men view themselves and their image. A 30+ years old man coming out of M6 can look "show off" or awkward at times. I've had M6 and now M5 F10 and I find M5 to be the best overall car in the world, and fastest sedan in the world. M6 is far from being fastest coupe in the world (not even in top 20 probably).

M5 is more a car for "how you see yourself", M6 is more of a car for "how others see you" or "how you want others to see you".
singularity is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
Chump
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lalaland

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresiv5 View Post
m6 is overpriced and ugly
I agree
Chump is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #31
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,371
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think most people who say M5 "because it can carry kids" are just carrying mainstream words. I mean come on, how often do you drive your whole family in your M5? If too often to choose an M5 - then you bought the wrong car. Better choice would've been a 5 series and a dedicated 2 door sports car.

I think the preference is based on age and how men view themselves and their image. A 30+ years old man coming out of M6 can look "show off" or awkward at times. I've had M6 and now M5 F10 and I find M5 to be the best overall car in the world, and fastest sedan in the world. M6 is far from being fastest coupe in the world (not even in top 20 probably).

M5 is more a car for "how you see yourself", M6 is more of a car for "how others see you" or "how you want others to see you".
I agree with this too.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #32
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
 
LAKEOM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think most people who say M5 "because it can carry kids" are just carrying mainstream words. I mean come on, how often do you drive your whole family in your M5? If too often to choose an M5 - then you bought the wrong car. Better choice would've been a 5 series and a dedicated 2 door sports car.

I think the preference is based on age and how men view themselves and their image. A 30+ years old man coming out of M6 can look "show off" or awkward at times. I've had M6 and now M5 F10 and I find M5 to be the best overall car in the world, and fastest sedan in the world. M6 is far from being fastest coupe in the world (not even in top 20 probably).

M5 is more a car for "how you see yourself", M6 is more of a car for "how others see you" or "how you want others to see you".
I actually bought it for all those reasons. Kids being a huge part.

I had a 911 and no way would I put my son in the back. Plus his car seat wouldn't fit. 911 is so small it can't carry a stroller etc

I did buy the M5 for the later part of argument as it is the perfect understated car for work but stands out to those who are in the know. Power, styling, performance and luxury. It is the perfect car.

But kids was a major major factor. It allows us to go out together instead of taking the escalade and leaving the 911 in the garage.
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #33
markow
Private
 
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cambridge, UK

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

M5 vs M6

before i bought my M5 i had thought hard about getting the M6 instead. at some point i had almost arrived at the M6 conclusion but then i could not see any clear reason why not get a 991 carrera S, undoubtely the better sports car.
so i went back to M5...
peter
markow is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #34
zayd
New Member
 
Drives: 328i Lux
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wimbledon UK

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Because of something called children I had to ditch my M6!
zayd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #35
Rob///M5
Major
 
Rob///M5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think most people who say M5 "because it can carry kids" are just carrying mainstream words. I mean come on, how often do you drive your whole family in your M5? If too often to choose an M5 - then you bought the wrong car. Better choice would've been a 5 series and a dedicated 2 door sports car.

I think the preference is based on age and how men view themselves and their image. A 30+ years old man coming out of M6 can look "show off" or awkward at times. I've had M6 and now M5 F10 and I find M5 to be the best overall car in the world, and fastest sedan in the world. M6 is far from being fastest coupe in the world (not even in top 20 probably).

M5 is more a car for "how you see yourself", M6 is more of a car for "how others see you" or "how you want others to see you".
I actually bought it for all those reasons. Kids being a huge part.

I had a 911 and no way would I put my son in the back. Plus his car seat wouldn't fit. 911 is so small it can't carry a stroller etc

I did buy the M5 for the later part of argument as it is the perfect understated car for work but stands out to those who are in the know. Power, styling, performance and luxury. It is the perfect car.

But kids was a major major factor. It allows us to go out together instead of taking the escalade and leaving the 911 in the garage.
100% agree
__________________
Rob///M5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #36
krispykreme
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: fremont

Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNCore
I would assume people who are in the market for a M5 also have the cash for a M6. $16,000 shouldn't be that big of a difference for a $100k car. So why are there many more M5 than M6? And the number of peolpe viewing the M5 section is always at least 2x more than the M6 section. Why?

I also considered the M6 before placing my order for the M5. The main reason why I picked the M5 over the M6 is because girlfriend and family (not kids) like the space of the M5 more, and a bit because of the price. Another note; when I sat in the M6 driver's seat it felt squished and uncomfortable. I was a bit surprised that the bigger M6 felt smaller compared to the M3, and I don't even need to talk about the backseat.

So why are there many more M5 than M6? Is it because of the reasons I mentioned above or the look (even though the M6 is gorgeous in it's own ways, but more prefer the look of the M5)?
Went with M5 because I liked 4 door more than 2 door.

A fast 4 door sounds cooler than a fast two door coupe.
__________________
-13 F10 M5 6MT (Amazonite Silver)
krispykreme is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
 
MSportDC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wash. D.C.

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I like this thread. Anyways, M5 is a better looking car and it's my daily driver. 4 doors is more convenient to carry other passengers including my LO in the back.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 35d (Alpine white/Black - Loaded) - Delivery: 2012/9/17
2013 BMW M5 (Azurite black/Black full merino/Piano trim/20"/Exec./Driver Assist. - Delivery: 2012/11/16
MSportDC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
pdp4
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW m5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think most people who say M5 "because it can carry kids" are just carrying mainstream words. I mean come on, how often do you drive your whole family in your M5? If too often to choose an M5 - then you bought the wrong car. Better choice would've been a 5 series and a dedicated 2 door sports car.

I think the preference is based on age and how men view themselves and their image. A 30+ years old man coming out of M6 can look "show off" or awkward at times. I've had M6 and now M5 F10 and I find M5 to be the best overall car in the world, and fastest sedan in the world. M6 is far from being fastest coupe in the world (not even in top 20 probably).

M5 is more a car for "how you see yourself", M6 is more of a car for "how others see you" or "how you want others to see you".
I disagree. Image is important, but M cars are at a totally different performance level and my kids are extremely comfortable in my M5. I very much appreciate the dynamics and performance of an M car (I have had them since '99), and I feel that I actually use "M" parts on the road.
I actually did consider a P car - Panamera Turbo, but it was significantly more expensive to lease and maintain and it had only 2 seats at the back - I have three kids and and they are very comfortable in M5 with one kid still in a child seat. M6 actually had very usable back seats, but two and I was too lazy to get out every time to let kids/in and out.

The only thing I wish M5 would have (and Panamera Turbo has it) is 4 wheel drive. It would be very useful for Chicago. I met BMW M engineers at Munich when I picked up M5 and asked about all wheel drive. They said they are not even considering it because you cannot achieve a balance of a sport car with 4 wheel drive. When I asked if they feel that Porsche 911 Turbo had good sports car balance, they had nothing to answer. After all they've built X5M and it has all wheel drive. Anyway, I already put my snow tires on my M5 and will live with rear wheel drive till the option shows up in a sedan. 550xi is a great car that I test drove, but it is not an M5, and it is not just image for me.
pdp4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #39
ayu910
New Member
 
Drives: X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Good thread here. Looking forward to pick up an LCI M5 in July/Aug 13. 4 doors can be more practical for daily task, like drop off the kids in the morning then enjoy some fun on the way to work. Sure, one can op for two cars with an M6 and an 535i for example but no one can drive two at the same time. Accessibility is the key and I want to have full access to the S63B44Tü as much as possible.
__________________
2012 750iAH Mineral White, 4.6sec 0-60, World's Fastest Street-Legal Hybrid.

2011 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White
ayu910 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #40
ayu910
New Member
 
Drives: X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp4 View Post
The only thing I wish M5 would have (and Panamera Turbo has it) is 4 wheel drive. It would be very useful for Chicago. I met BMW M engineers at Munich when I picked up M5 and asked about all wheel drive. They said they are not even considering it because you cannot achieve a balance of a sport car with 4 wheel drive. When I asked if they feel that Porsche 911 Turbo had good sports car balance, they had nothing to answer. After all they've built X5M and it has all wheel drive. Anyway, I already put my snow tires on my M5 and will live with rear wheel drive till the option shows up in a sedan. 550xi is a great car that I test drove, but it is not an M5, and it is not just image for me.
It would be nice to have a front engine M5 with the “correct” AWD system similar to Panamera 4’s or GT-R, which is RWD based. Can’t count the AWD system in the Adui’s since those are all FWD based so there is a lot of disadvantage. Can’t count the 911 since it is a rear engine setup which naturally a RWD with additional transfer case to power the front. To have similar AWD system like Panamera or GT-R it would require additional parts that need to be light weight, which means $$$. Interior space will need to be compromise to accommodate relocation of transmission or transfer case. There is a reason Panamera and GT-R can only offer 2 seats in the back with limited space. Sure, M can engineer a M5 AWD with the “correct” setup but cost most likely will be similar to a Panamera Turbo S with reduction in interior space.

Basically, nothing is free come to laws of physics.
__________________
2012 750iAH Mineral White, 4.6sec 0-60, World's Fastest Street-Legal Hybrid.

2011 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White
ayu910 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #41
RKJ10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Space Grey
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

For me it's pretty simple: I don't like 2-door coupes AND I have to be able to get my wife and three kids in the car when needed.
RKJ10 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #42
laurenxesq
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Porsche 997 & 2014 135
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: dark angel's cave

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Driven both. For me, the M6 doesn't do much for me, except it is bigger, wider then the M5.

Love the M5 much much more. More nimble, tighter, more true M feel then the M6.

The worse part is my son is always hogging the M5, I hardly ever get a chance to drive that baby.......
__________________
Past: 96 318ti 01 325, 03 330xi/retired 2/2012, 02 325 stationwagon, 04 X3 2.5, 05 X5, 06 X5 4.4, 06 X3.0, 06 330/recall, 08 328 coupe, 11 135 M sprt/total 6/2012, 11 X3 2.8, 12 X6 3.5 M Pckg, 12 M3, 12 X3 3.5 M pckg/, 13 X6 3.5 M Pckg, 13 X6M, 13 640GC, 12 650, 13 M3 LRE. 13 M6, 13 M5, 13 135is, Present: Porsche 2011 997, 2014 X1, 2013 328, 2013 135*the journey ends..*[/i]
laurenxesq is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
 
MSportDC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wash. D.C.

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenxesq View Post
...The worse part is my son is always hogging the M5, I hardly ever get a chance to drive that baby.......
Lauren,

I don't understand that last sentence of yours. Your son "hogs" the M5 because you allow him to.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 35d (Alpine white/Black - Loaded) - Delivery: 2012/9/17
2013 BMW M5 (Azurite black/Black full merino/Piano trim/20"/Exec./Driver Assist. - Delivery: 2012/11/16
MSportDC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #44
eNCore
///M 5light
 
eNCore's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, 626

Posts: 433
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenxesq View Post
Driven both. For me, the M6 doesn't do much for me, except it is bigger, wider then the M5.

Love the M5 much much more. More nimble, tighter, more true M feel then the M6.

The worse part is my son is always hogging the M5, I hardly ever get a chance to drive that baby.......
I thought it's the other way around? M6 being the smaller car compared to the M5?
__________________
13 MCB ///M5

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
eNCore is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST