M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Great meeting you too. Lets meet up whe I get my LI's. I'll buy lunch in trade for some lidar testing.

All, that blackhole on the right of the last photo is actually my M5!
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
      12-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #24
mwlmd
Major

Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5
Great meeting you too. Lets meet up whe I get my LI's. I'll buy lunch in trade for some lidar testing.

All, that blackhole on the right of the last photo is actually my M5!
We should meet up again when the weather is better and there is more daylight. Unfortunately the lidar gun goes back tomorrow, since I only rented it! But if you use the same placement you should be fine.

HRE P101. Akrapovič evolution. H&R. Bell StiR+ Laser Interceptor quad. IND cosmetics. 3M CR50.
mwlmd is offline   United_States
      12-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #25
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Then I'll rent one and we can test my car and retest yours.

Anyone else in the PdX area can join as well.
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
      12-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #26
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Great to meet up Drew! If only it wasn't dark and raining. Oregon at its best. Field testing with LIDAR gun showed JTG in all tests. Here are some pics of sensor and display placement.
I moved my LI HPs from the lower intake up to the kidneys today and tested it extensively.

I found that with the placement shown in mwlmd's photo there is a weakness. I will PM that to him and to any known M5 owner who asks me.

The solution is to move it inside by one more vane which is like what Bradone1 has. I tested both placements on my own car, and the Bradone1 placement works better. It looks like this.
Attached Images

stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
      12-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
mwlmd
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I moved my LI HPs from the lower intake up to the kidneys today and tested it extensively.

I found that with the placement shown in mwlmd's photo there is a weakness. I will PM that to him and to any known M5 owner who asks me.

The solution is to move it inside by one more vane which is like what Bradone1 has. I tested both placements on my own car, and the Bradone1 placement works better. It looks like this.
Thanks for the info! I will might have the sensor moved in one grill slat!

I couldn't get a reading with my current setup, i wonder if mine is out far enough (protruding forward) to be visible from that angle?

HRE P101. Akrapovič evolution. H&R. Bell StiR+ Laser Interceptor quad. IND cosmetics. 3M CR50.
      12-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
mwlmd
Major

Quote:

Here is a pic of my front sensor from above. It was kind of dark this morning.
Attached Images

12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #29
emmfiv3
First Lieutenant

Drives: whenever I can.

Quote:

The placement in that pic is exactly the placement Cliff @ LI recommended for my car. Only difference is mine stick out a little further, like mwlmd's.
      12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
TK23
Enlisted Member

Drives: F10 M5. Singapore / SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Careful. Here in Ontario Canada radar detectors are in fact illegal to own and if caught it will be confiscated.
In the US they can't do that. It isn't contraband. It is a product legal within the United States. A state legislature can outlaw the usage, but they can't outlaw the sale or possession - that would be a violation of federal commerce laws which establish a common market.

Another interesting example - it is illegal to have a radar detector inside any commercial vehicle in the US. But the Fedex guys have no difficulty delivering them to your home. It illustrates the point, that transporting is not illegal, using is illegal.

In Florida a law was proposed to ban radar detectors in 2007 but died on the Senate floor.
Unfortunately that isn't true. At least in Illinois the law is that you can only have it in your vehicle if is in a separate locked container in the trunk. They can both ticket you and confiscate the system. I'm not sure how strictly it is enforced but that is the law. It's not going to stop me from getting one but it isn't without some risk
e92 M3 Jerez Black. -Sold and missed.
E46 M3. Jet Black. Sold.
      08-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
///M KID
Private First Class

Where did you guys put the STiR Plus antenna? Can it go behind the grill?
      08-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
ColdList
Colonel

Drives: 2014 991 TTS Cab / 2013 F12 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan
I am contemplating on have the Bel-StiR with Quad LI installed but having the light indicators mirror display system. Anybody care to comment on such system. In some posts, people have commented that such a system diverts one's attention to the road ahead, however, I have finally come to the conclusing that having the light indicators infront or even on the HUD itself, would be much more distracting. I'd rather just hear a warning that I may occasionally look at the mirror display indicator(s) just to check.
It is the perfect setup. Have had it on my cars for years. Not distracting. You glance once in a while in mirror anyway and it does not cause you to do it anymore than usual. The mirror also is one of those natural places you glance when you hear an audible siren or alert from inside or outside the car anyway. I also mount the small led light to the left of steering wheel at the place where the A pillar and dash meet. Easy to catch it in your eye there too.

2014 Black Black/Carrera Red Turbo S Cab
2013 BMW F12 M6 Cab
2010 Ferrari California
      08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #33
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M KID View Post
Best place to put it is where the drivers side foglight would normally be. Best performance would be to cut it so it peaks out that mesh. Mine doesn't peak out but I wish it did because that definitely increases range based on past experience.
      08-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
ColdList
Colonel

Drives: 2014 991 TTS Cab / 2013 F12 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M KID View Post
Best place to put it is where the drivers side foglight would normally be. Best performance would be to cut it so it peaks out that mesh. Mine doesn't peak out but I wish it did because that definitely increases range based on past experience.
Mine have always been right behind grille drivers side and no issues. I worry a lot less about the Bel than the LI. The Bel picks up signals from the rear of the vehicle even mounted at the front. In my experience it doesn't matter all that much.

2014 Black Black/Carrera Red Turbo S Cab
2013 BMW F12 M6 Cab
2010 Ferrari California
      08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Guys, I'm thinking about ordering the LI Quad BMW system for my M5 as well. Quick question. Is this a system that you can install yourself or is it better to have someone install it for you. I'm always up for a DIY project but I just wanted to get the community's opinion. Thanks!
      08-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #36
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Guys, I'm thinking about ordering the LI Quad BMW system for my M5 as well. Quick question. Is this a system that you can install yourself or is it better to have someone install it for you. I'm always up for a DIY project but I just wanted to get the community's opinion. Thanks!
If a pro installer can do it you can do it. Depends how good you are at disassembling.

Also be sure to run the wires away from the cars major cable conduits to avoid interference.

The most important thing is to test the setup after installation.
      08-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #37
delano
Private

Drives: 2013 M6 F12 & 2013 Rover S/C

Hey Dave I had mind professionally installed, we can link up for you to check out how he did it on mine if you want. Might make a DYI easier if you see one in person.
      08-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes

Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Exclamation

I would have a system like that in a Heart beat IF the laws and Police knowledge were not so "Freedom Impairing" here in the UK.
They are so HOT on this now, and lets face it those surface fixtures are not exactly hidden are they, a kid could spot them.
      08-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #39
Niko1414
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 M6 - 2014 M6GC - 2011 M3

Where is best place to buy and can anyone recommend an installer in Orange County or San Diego area. Group buy Dave ??
Niko1414 is offline   United_States
      08-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
Spinny02
Major

Drives: 2014 M5

Niko, Cliff at LI will help you out if you call and mention you are forum member. He is very nice and will give you a recommended installer.
Spinny02 is offline   United_States