M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
avi8tir
Second Lieutenant
 
avi8tir's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Gruppe M installed... not sure if I like it...

I was expecting a different sound out of this thing... It has a clear intake sound... but its more like honda civic intake sound, if you know what I mean. I hear lots of air sucking, and a little more turbo noise, but thats it.

Maybe it needs to adjust or something? we'll see, but it could be for sale soon!
__________________
2013 M5
2013 X5 M
2009 Scuderia
2011 Taurus (gets parked up front with the Lambos)
2008 Cessna 400
avi8tir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LOS ANGELES

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

I've heard that before ...
The person I heard that from ended up selling it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I was expecting a different sound out of this thing... It has a clear intake sound... but its more like honda civic intake sound, if you know what I mean. I hear lots of air sucking, and a little more turbo noise, but thats it.

Maybe it needs to adjust or something? we'll see, but it could be for sale soon!
__________________
BLACK MARKT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
 
MasterDank's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-Town HI

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I was expecting a different sound out of this thing... It has a clear intake sound... but its more like honda civic intake sound, if you know what I mean. I hear lots of air sucking, and a little more turbo noise, but thats it.

Maybe it needs to adjust or something? we'll see, but it could be for sale soon!
Im sorry but do you know what a honda civic with an intake sounds like?...

They are not turbo'd its a completely different sound. The only extra noise you are hearing is the turbo's, as that is how a turbo car works not a throttle body like on a civic. The connection between your foot and the intake noise becomes slightly delayed with a turbo. The sound on a civic or M3 or 5.0 mustang are much deeper then a F10 M5 or skyline or any turbo car. Which sound more like a jet airplane or other turbine powered machines as they are turbos as well.

Hows the power and throttle response feel? Sound shouldn't be the only factor especially if its just cause its louder then stock as that is a part of more flow and less restriction

Hope it grows on you.... I know I love mine
Aloha
Alex
__________________
Change is inevitable Progress Is optional
MasterDank is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
avi8tir
Second Lieutenant
 
avi8tir's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank View Post
Im sorry but do you know what a honda civic with an intake sounds like?...

They are not turbo'd its a completely different sound. The only extra noise you are hearing is the turbo's, as that is how a turbo car works not a throttle body like on a civic. The connection between your foot and the intake noise becomes slightly delayed with a turbo. The sound on a civic or M3 or 5.0 mustang are much deeper then a F10 M5 or skyline or any turbo car. Which sound more like a jet airplane or other turbine powered machines as they are turbos as well.

Hows the power and throttle response feel? Sound shouldn't be the only factor especially if its just cause its louder then stock as that is a part of more flow and less restriction

Hope it grows on you.... I know I love mine
Aloha
Alex
Yep, I'm familiar. It just doesnt sound like I thought it would. the only other turbo car I've owned is a 997 Turbo... and this sounds nothing like those turbos. the porsche was more of a whistling... this just sounds like a rush of air.

I'll drive it more and see. I was just expecting more from an expensive intake like this.
__________________
2013 M5
2013 X5 M
2009 Scuderia
2011 Taurus (gets parked up front with the Lambos)
2008 Cessna 400
avi8tir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
ImpetuousRacer
Private First Class
 
ImpetuousRacer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I felt it was a little weird after initially installing mine. After driving it a couple days I like it a lot more. May grow on you like it did me. Gives a blowoff sound and sounds a little more exciting to me.
__________________
ImpetuousRacer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
Road racin
Private
 
Drives: '13 M5 alpine white
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2012 Jeep JKU  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpetuousRacer View Post
I felt it was a little weird after initially installing mine. After driving it a couple days I like it a lot more. May grow on you like it did me. Gives a blowoff sound and sounds a little more exciting to me.
Did you notice any performance difference... Or just a sound change?
Road racin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
chudak18
Captain
 
chudak18's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vineland, NJ

Posts: 990
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Dibs on buying it! Lol... I'm just saying, if it doesn't grow on you. Stupid four thousand dollar intake....ridiculous.
__________________
chudak18 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Nate@IND
 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 10,110
iTrader: (19)

The intake sound was my favorite part. I say take the Beast out for some more runs.
__________________
Nate@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
jdco
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I love the way mine sounds. Unfortunately I didn't notice much gains as I installed the intake shortly before break-in was finished.
jdco is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
ImpetuousRacer
Private First Class
 
ImpetuousRacer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road racin View Post
Did you notice any performance difference... Or just a sound change?
I did it right after break-in period, so I didnt get to go hard on the M5 beforehand to have a real comparison.

Also on the dyno, the M5 would make substantially more HP after each run since the computer got adjusted to driving style each time. So if you drive the car around more timidly day to day, just doing a couple WOT runs you can notice a feel of HP increase.

Let's face it though 8HP on a 550HP car isn't going to have much of a feel.
I wanted to keep my warranty, so downpipes and tune really arent an option. Intake and exhaust should help me edge out a stock M5 and keep me under warranty.

Just my two cents.
__________________
ImpetuousRacer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
boots
Colonel
 
boots's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

Posts: 2,100
iTrader: (0)

Did u ever come to a conclusion on your intake. Hopefully your enjoying it more.
__________________
2013 Bmw M5-Alpine White/Black-Oem gloss blk powder coated wheels-Expel clear bra-35% tint-Rpi Gtm Exhaust-Rpi Downpipes-Rpi Scoops-Bms piggy piggy-Hr springs-562hp/524tq

Country run
boots is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Road racin
Private
 
Drives: '13 M5 alpine white
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2012 Jeep JKU  [0.00]
Putting mine on this weekend (from IND). Hope I love it...
Road racin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LOS ANGELES

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

I'm also curious if it produces power ...
__________________
BLACK MARKT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
ImpetuousRacer
Private First Class
 
ImpetuousRacer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT View Post
I'm also curious if it produces power ...
It does IND did a dyno at EAS.
__________________
ImpetuousRacer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
Road racin
Private
 
Drives: '13 M5 alpine white
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2012 Jeep JKU  [0.00]
Soooooo. Put it on this morning. Install was pretty straight forward. Hardest part was pulling the kidneys (prevented me from having to pull the whole front clip). The fit and finish is awesome. The instructions sucked and were clearly translated from japaneese so they make little sense. However, it's SO simple and intuitive I didn't need them.

Looks 10
Fit 10
Sound ??

Not sure I like it. Top RPM range is sounds good. Doesn't "suck" like a civic because its FI but it does have a little of the sound. The wastgate purge is cool. There is a semi wierd sounding flutter at mid rpms(3500-4500) if u roll into it. Sounds like a flutter sorta noise. Almost sounds like something is broken. Could be embarrasing sounding. Not sure i like that. Did you guys notice the same? Admittedly I only drove about 2mi. Still only have 700 on the car so time will tell.
Road racin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
 
runningthingz's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen White M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road racin View Post
Soooooo. Put it on this morning. Install was pretty straight forward. Hardest part was pulling the kidneys (prevented me from having to pull the whole front clip). The fit and finish is awesome. The instructions sucked and were clearly translated from japaneese so they make little sense. However, it's SO simple and intuitive I didn't need them.

Looks 10
Fit 10
Sound ??

Not sure I like it. Top RPM range is sounds good. Doesn't "suck" like a civic because its FI but it does have a little of the sound. The wastgate purge is cool. There is a semi wierd sounding flutter at mid rpms(3500-4500) if u roll into it. Sounds like a flutter sorta noise. Almost sounds like something is broken. Could be embarrasing sounding. Not sure i like that. Did you guys notice the same? Admittedly I only drove about 2mi. Still only have 700 on the car so time will tell.
I experienced the same noises with mine. I think it makes the car sound more JDM and less classy. Mine is most likely coming off soon.
runningthingz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
SANguru
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5,F30 AH3,F430,MP4-12C
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 364
iTrader: (0)

seriously guys what else are you expecting?? you open up an airbox and you will hear more induction noise. whether its Japanese, American, Italian or German, it's all going to sound the same pretty much
SANguru is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
Road racin
Private
 
Drives: '13 M5 alpine white
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2012 Jeep JKU  [0.00]
^. I have years of manufacturing experience working for Vortech on domestic and import superchargers and working with turbo companies. Both street and race cars. The noise is very unique.....

Induction noise is one thing. The "flutter" isn't induction or bypass noise. It's more like compressor surge. Not sure how these turbos are configured but many turbos now use a variable vane turbos to control boost and blow off. The mid-rpm flutter I hear reminds me of loading then unloading turbos creating compressor surge....
Road racin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Theballzack
Certified Trainer
 
Drives: Space Grey 2013 M5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

And now I love the way it sounds…………. hehehehe
Theballzack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
toppim5
toppim5
 
Drives: 2012 F10 M5
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

I agree, pulled mine out the day after I installed Gruppe. I think they could have retarded the sound more by enclosing it better. I hated the sound. Had no trouble selling it though. Go figure.
toppim5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST