M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: FerrariFF
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (0)

Auto Blip for MT - Liking it!

Ok so I know the heal toe thing needs to be perfected for true manual enthusiasts but I really find it hard to actually blip the engine perfectly. Maybe this is because of the turbos or the less responsive throttle but I am absolutely enjoying the auto-blip by the engine. Its nice to just shift and let the system figure out the exact amount of throttle to give. You have to adapt to the way car blips but once you get the hang of it, its fun! Almost as fun as doing it yourself

This car in MT definitely brings out a more aggressive nature to the beast!

P.S. March production M6 is coming in 7MT - I honestly never thought BMW would do it, the DCT is really impressive for these cars. Is this for NA only?
__________________
Prancing horse..
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
avi8tir
Second Lieutenant
 
avi8tir's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post

P.S. March production M6 is coming in 7MT - I honestly never thought BMW would do it, the DCT is really impressive for these cars. Is this for NA only?
whats youre source on this?
__________________
2013 M5
2013 X5 M
2009 Scuderia
2011 Taurus (gets parked up front with the Lambos)
2008 Cessna 400
avi8tir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
PrimeTimeJohn
Private First Class
 
PrimeTimeJohn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

I agree with you. I am enjoying the rev matching with downshifting. The nice thing is that if you really want to heel toe shift yourself, you can just put it in Sport Plus mode and the rev matching is turned off. So we can have the best of both worlds. I think BMW did well with giving us this option in the manual transmission.
PrimeTimeJohn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: FerrariFF
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
whats youre source on this?
Think this is official now - with Jason listing an article that the entire M6 range will get the option. Honestly as a MT driver this is massive news. I assume this will be the last generation - I also heard its coming in 7MT. This is a huge huge risk and investment by BMW. Everyone is turning their backs and they make this type of move - huge statement of their engineering prowess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTimeJohn View Post
I agree with you. I am enjoying the rev matching with downshifting. The nice thing is that if you really want to heel toe shift yourself, you can just put it in Sport Plus mode and the rev matching is turned off. So we can have the best of both worlds. I think BMW did well with giving us this option in the manual transmission.
Agreed, this car actually does so many things well its pretty amazing. I was not 100% sold at 1st with the MT because of the nature of the engine and the turbos. But after driving it for about 1500km I will say that it really adds character to the car.
__________________
Prancing horse..
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Protious
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

I got sold on DCT (could not order one with MT.. Tried 15+ dealerships), I sure miss MT though - nothing beats MT.
Protious is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: FerrariFF
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protious View Post
I got sold on DCT (could not order one with MT.. Tried 15+ dealerships), I sure miss MT though - nothing beats MT.
Huh? Really? Why? No build slots? DCT is still really amazing - I had one for about 2 days. The unfortunate thing is it actually got unexciting for me on the 2nd day and I just popped it in automatic mode. It does some pretty cool stuff with the exhaust "farts" that you don't get in the MT.

Like I have said many times before never ever settle when it comes to buying these high priced cars. Get what you want because you will most likely end up keeping it longer and from a cost of ownership its usually the same if you calculate "lot discounts".
__________________
Prancing horse..
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Protious
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Pretty much, every dealership I called (California, Arizona, Texas) had absolutely no allocation. Would've loved to do ED and PDC, oh well.

I liked DCT for a week or so, then I started missing MT. Nothing beats rowing your own gears, no matter how much you try to convince yourself.

PS: Still love the car though, just sayin - I'd switch to MT if I had the choice. Paddle shifters are a joke.
Protious is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

I've never driven a car with auto-blip before, but I guess I can see how it might be handy, at least when you're feeling tired/lazy or just want to provide a smooth ride to passengers who scare easily. But if your clutch work and shift timing no longer matter when driving MT, then if you're the type who would keep auto-blip on permanently, I have to wonder what the point of driving auto-blip MT over DCT is. Part of the thrill of MT for me is always chasing that perfectly smooth upshift or rev-matched heel-toe downshift and feeling like a total hero when I get it exactly right, so if the computer now handles the blip and will hold the proper RPM until whenever you release the clutch, it seems to me that all you've got is essentially a DCT car with a built-in leg press and a way to select gears directly rather than sequentially. Doesn't seem to leave a lot of the driver engagement.

But most of all I wish there were a way to turn that off separately from changing throttle to Sport Plus. If Sport Plus on the M5 is anything like Sport Plus throttle on the M3, it's almost undriveable, and it doesn't make sense to me why BMW would assume that people's desire for auto-blip would be tied to their throttle sensitivity/linearity preference. I use Sport throttle for street driving and Normal for back road and track driving for its increased precision and linearity, and I can see myself sometimes wanting auto-blip in each of those scenarios and sometimes not.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 01-31-2013 at 02:01 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: FerrariFF
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I've never driven a car with auto-blip before, but I guess I can see how it might be handy, at least when you're feeling tired/lazy or just want to provide a smooth ride to passengers who scare easily. But if your clutch work and shift timing no longer matter when driving MT, then if you're the type who would keep auto-blip on permanently, I have to wonder what the point of driving auto-blip MT over DCT is. Part of the thrill of MT for me is always chasing that perfectly smooth upshift or rev-matched heel-toe downshift and feeling like a total hero when I get it exactly right, so if the computer now handles the blip and will hold the proper RPM until whenever you release the clutch, it seems to me that all you've got is essentially a DCT car with a built-in leg press and a way to select gears directly rather than sequentially. Doesn't seem to leave a lot of the driver engagement.

But most of all I wish there were a way to turn that off separately from changing throttle to Sport Plus. If Sport Plus on the M5 is anything like Sport Plus throttle on the M3, it's almost undriveable, and it doesn't make sense to me why BMW would assume that people's desire for auto-blip would be tied to their throttle sensitivity/linearity preference. I use Sport throttle for street driving and Normal for back road and track driving for its increased precision and linearity, and I can see myself sometimes wanting auto-blip in each of those scenarios and sometimes not.
I get your point but its a super flexible system in the M5. Sport Plus and Sport are quite identical just one blips for you and the other does not. Its just a neat technology to play with and have some fun - more tech to keep me entertained because I swear with speed limits and traffic I should just drive an I3 or Prius.
__________________
Prancing horse..
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I get your point but its a super flexible system in the M5. Sport Plus and Sport are quite identical just one blips for you and the other does not. Its just a neat technology to play with and have some fun - more tech to keep me entertained because I swear with speed limits and traffic I should just drive an I3 or Prius.
Oh ok, if Sport Plus throttle is similar to Sport I guess that's not so bad. On the M3, Sport Plus is insane -- as is P500 Sport on the previous-gen M5/6. Still kind of a bummer you can't have auto-blip when in Normal mode since I suspect that's what I'd want for track driving (unless they've made that mode intentionally sluggish rather than simply linear), but who knows, breaking auto-blip out as an independently configurable option may arrive in the future either from the factory or aftermarket.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
 
ONEOF40 FS M3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Ok so I know the heal toe thing needs to be perfected for true manual enthusiasts but I really find it hard to actually blip the engine perfectly. Maybe this is because of the turbos or the less responsive throttle but I am absolutely enjoying the auto-blip by the engine. Its nice to just shift and let the system figure out the exact amount of throttle to give. You have to adapt to the way car blips but once you get the hang of it, its fun! Almost as fun as doing it yourself

This car in MT definitely brings out a more aggressive nature to the beast!

P.S. March production M6 is coming in 7MT - I honestly never thought BMW would do it, the DCT is really impressive for these cars. Is this for NA only?
I just did ED a week ago and now waiting the long 6-8 weeks for it to arrive...here are my initial thoughts on the car including the auto-bliping....http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797393
__________________
CURRENT RIDES - 14 991 C2S 7MT/ 12 FROZEN SILVER E92 M3 / 03 GPW S2K AP1

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT
ONEOF40 FS M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: FerrariFF
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
I just did ED a week ago and now waiting the long 6-8 weeks for it to arrive...here are my initial thoughts on the car including the auto-bliping....http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797393
Yes saw your review, congrats on the car - wonderful combo. Took my beast out again this weekend - mind blowing fun. Its a such a hooligan!
__________________
Prancing horse..
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

I. Love. My. 6MT!

Period and i wouldn't change it for any other car, even another manual.

This car is fantastic, throttle blip and all.... It never ever ceases to amaze me. Ever.

I know this reply may not offer much but I sure am hard to please with a car and this car does it and more.
bradone1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
 
ONEOF40 FS M3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Yes saw your review, congrats on the car - wonderful combo. Took my beast out again this weekend - mind blowing fun. Its a such a hooligan!
Thanks...it is a pretty amazing machine!
__________________
CURRENT RIDES - 14 991 C2S 7MT/ 12 FROZEN SILVER E92 M3 / 03 GPW S2K AP1

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT
ONEOF40 FS M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
 
ONEOF40 FS M3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
I. Love. My. 6MT!

Period and i wouldn't change it for any other car, even another manual.

This car is fantastic, throttle blip and all.... It never ever ceases to amaze me. Ever.

I know this reply may not offer much but I sure am hard to please with a car and this car does it and more.
You don't have to say anymore...we (6MT) understand you just fine
__________________
CURRENT RIDES - 14 991 C2S 7MT/ 12 FROZEN SILVER E92 M3 / 03 GPW S2K AP1

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT
ONEOF40 FS M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST