M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Robert B
Observer
 
Robert B's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Bue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

New F10 M5 -- collision advoidance saved my a**

After months of sitting on the fence, I traded my E90 M3 6 speed in for a Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 DCT. The power the car produces is intoxicating. While I was not sure about which transmission to get, I went with the DCT. It is the first new car that I have purchased without a manual transmission in over 14 years. The DCT has proven very entertaining.

Sitting in the finance office at the dealer, I reflected on my progression of M cars, starting with an E36 M Roadster to an E46 M3 Convertible (still the best looking BMW I have owned) to an E90 M3 sedan to an M5. I guess a B7 (or an M7 if one is ever sold) will be next.

Even the electronic nannies that I have always scoffed at saved my a** today. I looked down at the Nav system when the collision avoidance lit up because the car in front of me stopped to make a right turn. I looked up, slammed on the brakes, and the ABS did its job perfectly. Without the collision avoidance, my brand new M5 would have ended up in the back seat of a Chevy.

Ironically, one criticism that I have about the car involves the brakes, which are a little grabby, making it difficult to smoothly come to a stop. But, when the brakes were needed, they certainly came through.
__________________
2013 BMW F10 M5
2012 BMW R1200GS
1994 Porsche 964 TL
Former Bimmers: E90 M3 6 Speed; E46 M3; E36 M Roadster; E34 535i
Robert B is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 3,923
iTrader: (0)

Nice! Makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Drivers Assistance Package. Hmmm....
__________________
Running more Boost on a turbo engine does not mean you have more driving skill.
RPiM5 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Robert B
Observer
 
Robert B's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Bue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Nice! Makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Drivers Assistance Package. Hmmm....
If I would have ordered the car, I would never have gotten the Drivers Assistance Package. I mean, what real driver needs assistance, right? However, BMW South County orders all of their M5s with Drivers Assistance and Executive Packages. I guess they knew what I would need better than I would have.
__________________
2013 BMW F10 M5
2012 BMW R1200GS
1994 Porsche 964 TL
Former Bimmers: E90 M3 6 Speed; E46 M3; E36 M Roadster; E34 535i
Robert B is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
avi8tir
Second Lieutenant
 
avi8tir's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Good to hear. I was hesitant on all of the new electronics... my dad had them in his 7 and I thought they were worthless.

Now, after having the car for a couple of months, I rely on them.
__________________
2013 M5
2013 X5 M
2009 Scuderia
2011 Taurus (gets parked up front with the Lambos)
2008 Cessna 400
avi8tir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
ucla95
Striker
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plains

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Top view camera is priceless
ucla95 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Reedomn
Captain
 
Reedomn's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 872
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert B View Post
After months of sitting on the fence, I traded my E90 M3 6 speed in for a Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 DCT. The power the car produces is intoxicating. While I was not sure about which transmission to get, I went with the DCT. It is the first new car that I have purchased without a manual transmission in over 14 years. The DCT has proven very entertaining.

Sitting in the finance office at the dealer, I reflected on my progression of M cars, starting with an E36 M Roadster to an E46 M3 Convertible (still the best looking BMW I have owned) to an E90 M3 sedan to an M5. I guess a B7 (or an M7 if one is ever sold) will be next.

Even the electronic nannies that I have always scoffed at saved my a** today. I looked down at the Nav system when the collision avoidance lit up because the car in front of me stopped to make a right turn. I looked up, slammed on the brakes, and the ABS did its job perfectly. Without the collision avoidance, my brand new M5 would have ended up in the back seat of a Chevy.

Ironically, one criticism that I have about the car involves the brakes, which are a little grabby, making it difficult to smoothly come to a stop. But, when the brakes were needed, they certainly came through.
I am in the same boat (or on the same fence) as I have always driven manuals but am considering an M5 DCT....my progression has been e30 M3, E36 2 door M3, E36 4 door M3, E39 M5, Audi 4.2 (fast car but a boat) E90 M3....does the M5 feel like a huge car compared to M3??
__________________
VO 1M
Sold- 2008 JZB/Fox E90 M3 6MT Launch car
Reedomn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
oh man I turned all those nifty features off.. maybe it's time to put them back on lol glad your M5 is safe!
__________________
h4nh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Amin5
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 B50 SO F10M5
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95
Top view camera is priceless
Agreed! I have a very tight fit getting into the garage and this view does wonders to help inch by the wall and my other vehicle!
Amin5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Robert B
Observer
 
Robert B's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Bue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
I am in the same boat (or on the same fence) as I have always driven manuals but am considering an M5 DCT....my progression has been e30 M3, E36 2 door M3, E36 4 door M3, E39 M5, Audi 4.2 (fast car but a boat) E90 M3....does the M5 feel like a huge car compared to M3??
Like many BMWs, the M5 seems to shrink as you push it harder. It feels supremely confident and planted on twisty roads at speed. My daily drive includes a steep uphill section of twisty, narrow road with a switch back. I blasted the M5 up and it felt faster and more planted than with my M3. While it was a lot of fun to drive, the M3 included more drama.

Because it is so competent and planted, it is also incredibly easy to drive way too fast in the M5. It is like being in a jet where the speed and sense of speed are somewhat divorced. Nevertheless, I do not feel completely issolated from the road. There is a decent amount of feed back through the suspension and the steering wheel.

All of this is a long way of saying that the M5 does not feel like a huge car.
__________________
2013 BMW F10 M5
2012 BMW R1200GS
1994 Porsche 964 TL
Former Bimmers: E90 M3 6 Speed; E46 M3; E36 M Roadster; E34 535i
Robert B is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Tomcat2048
Private
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Nice! Makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Drivers Assistance Package. Hmmm....
I may be wrong but I thought that the Collision Avoidance came standard...at least it isn't listed under the Driver's Assistance package features...

However, since I have the Driver's Assistance package in my car, I can't be too sure.
Tomcat2048 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Tomcat2048
Private
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin5 View Post
Agreed! I have a very tight fit getting into the garage and this view does wonders to help inch by the wall and my other vehicle!
I use this daily...backing my car in with top view is probably the easiest thing in the world to do now
Tomcat2048 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Robert B
Observer
 
Robert B's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Bue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Top view is great. Not just for backing up, but also for avoiding curb rash on the rims.
__________________
2013 BMW F10 M5
2012 BMW R1200GS
1994 Porsche 964 TL
Former Bimmers: E90 M3 6 Speed; E46 M3; E36 M Roadster; E34 535i
Robert B is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
crazy08
Private
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Germany

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
I kept the collision assistance on for a while, and if your following someone fairly close it'll pick up that they're slamming on the brakes pretty quick.
I think it also takes your own speed in consideration when deciding at what point to warn you.
__________________
'13 M5 Imperial Blue
Sold: '11 M3 IB / Fox Red
Sold: '05 M3 Mystic Blue / Cinnamon
crazy08 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
 
LAKEOM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

one criticism that I have about the car involves the brakes, which are a little grabby, making it difficult to smoothly come to a stop. But, when the brakes were needed, they certainly came through.[




How long have you had the car? The brakes are grabby at first until you adjust to them.

Then the only time they grab are when you are inching towards a wall in your garage - going between stopped, moving and stopping quickly. Primarily because the DCT holds you still and makes it tough to roll very slowly.
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
Robert B
Observer
 
Robert B's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Bue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

I have about 700 miles on the car. It's the grabbing right before you come to a smooth stop that bugs me. In the scheme of things, however, it is trivial. I know I will be whining more when I have to buy new rear tires in about a month.
__________________
2013 BMW F10 M5
2012 BMW R1200GS
1994 Porsche 964 TL
Former Bimmers: E90 M3 6 Speed; E46 M3; E36 M Roadster; E34 535i
Robert B is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST