M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
mainly
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5 imperial blue
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

BMW M5 F10 VS Mercedes E63 AMG S 4MATIC 0-250 km/h

not to get too excited, it only shows the instrument gauges, but it does look like the m5 gets to 250 km/h faster than the new e63 S-AMG. IF it is indeed the new AWD e63....?



Last edited by mainly; 02-28-2013 at 02:56 AM.
mainly is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: R8GT,F10M5,CayenneS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,510
iTrader: (0)

Saw one on the road infront of me yesterday - not the 4wd but the current model. Damn its one ugly ride! So boxy and terrible lines.
__________________
R8GT Spyder '12 / M5 '13 (MT) / Cayenne S '12 (Baby mobile )
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Boss330
Colonel
 
Boss330's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 ACS5 3.0i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,204
iTrader: (0)

Seems like it's the 4wd AMG.

When the Merc hits 100km/h the M5 is only at 70km/h
When the M5 is at 100km/h the AMG is at around 130km/h
At around 240 the M5 is faster than the AMG

In a drag race the AMG would destroy the M5, but on the Autobahn it would be the M5 ahead...

(If the Youtube videos are correctly timed and not sped up/slowed down)
Boss330 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
 
Rob///M5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Looks realistic to me. That AWD is gonna smoke us off the line.
__________________
Rob///M5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
nugent
Lieutenant
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Drives: f10 m5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: san francisco

Posts: 593
iTrader: (0)

yawn.
__________________
e92 m3 6MT, RS4 6MT, S4 Avant 6MT, WRX 5MT, Corsica

nugent is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
py0413
Major
 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

Posts: 1,151
iTrader: (2)

I have no doubt that with AWD the AMG can get off the line faster than our M5. Both fantastic car though.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
py0413 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,838
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I have no doubt that with AWD the AMG can get off the line faster than our M5. Both fantastic car though.
If tuned properly. And I hope that AMG is super fast. BMW would have to respond. And we the customer benefit from this war.
__________________
2013 M5-Silverstone
2013 ZL1-Summit White
URBAN LEGEND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,838
iTrader: (0)

The merc took off at 3k, and the BMW?
URBAN LEGEND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
mainly
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 M5 imperial blue
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

as well, if you pause the the vid - e63 left about 1/2 second before the m5.

as for the car, the styling is just too weird. they basically slapped an entirely different front end on whats pretty much unchanged everywhere else. except for the tail pipes, which look pretty good.

regardless, id rather be a tad slower than gain "another" 150 lbs. jesus....
mainly is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
335Xray
Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.
 
335Xray's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sitting in the dark somewhere....

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
a

regardless, id rather be a tad slower than gain "another" 150 lbs. jesus....
I would be happy to gain 150 lbs to get AWD in the midwest. The 2014 E63 will still be about 180 lbs light than the M5. (2013 E63 curb weight 4050#, F10 M5 Curb weight 4385#).

Weight gain is never good, but when put in perspective, the added weight coupled with AWD and an increase in HP and TQ make the 2014 E63 faster in nearly every regard than the 2013...

I fall into the camp that wished BMW would make an AWD M5 since I need to make it to work regardless of the weather and I can't really have two cars. Yes, I know, snow tires, but I would prefer AWD AND snow tires. (Belt and suspenders )

X
__________________
2014 E63 S Model. Palladium/Black/Night Styling.
DOB 10/17/13; DOA 11/11/13; DOD 11/14/13!
2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport: Gone but not forgotten
335Xray is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Xray View Post
I would be happy to gain 150 lbs to get AWD in the midwest. The 2014 E63 will still be about 180 lbs light than the M5. (2013 E63 curb weight 4050#, F10 M5 Curb weight 4385#).

Weight gain is never good, but when put in perspective, the added weight coupled with AWD and an increase in HP and TQ make the 2014 E63 faster in nearly every regard than the 2013...

I fall into the camp that wished BMW would make an AWD M5 since I need to make it to work regardless of the weather and I can't really have two cars. Yes, I know, snow tires, but I would prefer AWD AND snow tires. (Belt and suspenders )

X
Why don't you get an X6M? Looking at your sig it seems you like SUVs.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Rob///M5
Major
 
Rob///M5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
as well, if you pause the the vid - e63 left about 1/2 second before the m5.

as for the car, the styling is just too weird. they basically slapped an entirely different front end on whats pretty much unchanged everywhere else. except for the tail pipes, which look pretty good.

regardless, id rather be a tad slower than gain "another" 150 lbs. jesus....
Agree with all points

The E63 styling is so confused
__________________
Rob///M5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
335Xray
Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.
 
335Xray's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sitting in the dark somewhere....

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Why don't you get an X6M? Looking at your sig it seems you like SUVs.
Drove the X6M, useless vehicle made minimally better with the 3 seat second row option. The X5M is much more practical with a child and a large dog and handles just as well. We got the X5s when our son was born and now that he is 3, we will be fine with 1 SUV and 1 sedan. If the new gen X5M was going to be out when my lease is up in December, it would probably get top consideration, but I don't want the e70 platform again. The 2104 E63 wagon is very interesting, but spending that much $$ on such a niche vehicle makes me a bit leery. It is the most rare AMG vehicle made besides the Black edition cars.

I have always wanted an M5 but safety and drive-ability at all times trumps want...

X
__________________
2014 E63 S Model. Palladium/Black/Night Styling.
DOB 10/17/13; DOA 11/11/13; DOD 11/14/13!
2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport: Gone but not forgotten
335Xray is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
krown
Private
 
krown's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F10 M5
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

335Xray: I totally get where you're at. I had a 2007 ML63 before I went BMW. I need (preferred?) 4 wheel drive where I live, but wanted the performance as well, so at the time the ML63 fit the bill. When the lease was up, I really wanted an F10 M5, even though it was RWD, but it wasn't available yet. I test drove the 1st gen X5M and wasn't feeling it at all. I ended up going with a 2012 750i Xdrive which I just swapped for the M5. I love my M5, but haven't had a winter with her yet. I'm hoping a set of snow tires will get me through the week or so of snow we *MAY* get next year.

I too was thinking about the E63 and I actually like the exterior look of it. The interior, especially the NAV, is horrible though. Some people may like the analog clock on the dash, but I think it looks terrible. The AWD plus the performance are it's strong points, and they are very strong.
krown is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Xray View Post
Drove the X6M, useless vehicle made minimally better with the 3 seat second row option. The X5M is much more practical with a child and a large dog and handles just as well. We got the X5s when our son was born and now that he is 3, we will be fine with 1 SUV and 1 sedan. If the new gen X5M was going to be out when my lease is up in December, it would probably get top consideration, but I don't want the e70 platform again. The 2104 E63 wagon is very interesting, but spending that much $$ on such a niche vehicle makes me a bit leery. It is the most rare AMG vehicle made besides the Black edition cars.

I have always wanted an M5 but safety and drive-ability at all times trumps want...

X
The next gen X5M should be out soon. BMW has been codeveloping the new Ms with the base models. There have already been X5M mules driving around since last summer.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713747
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
335Xray
Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.
 
335Xray's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sitting in the dark somewhere....

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The next gen X5M should be out soon. BMW has been codeveloping the new Ms with the base models. There have already been X5M mules driving around since last summer.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713747
Yeah, saw that when it was first posted and noticed..."X5 should be introduced in late 2013 - early 2014 as a 2014 model year and the X5 M model within a year of the regular X5's release"

If the F15 X5 comes out in late summer, then I would not expect the M version till earliest late spring/early summer 2014. Lease is up December of this year...
__________________
2014 E63 S Model. Palladium/Black/Night Styling.
DOB 10/17/13; DOA 11/11/13; DOD 11/14/13!
2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport: Gone but not forgotten
335Xray is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Xray View Post
Yeah, saw that when it was first posted and noticed..."X5 should be introduced in late 2013 - early 2014 as a 2014 model year and the X5 M model within a year of the regular X5's release"

If the F15 X5 comes out in late summer, then I would not expect the M version till earliest late spring/early summer 2014. Lease is up December of this year...
I don't think the X5M will be a year later. I think BMW will move to the Mercedes model of launching AMG models at roughly the same time as the base models.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
ColdList
Colonel
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 TTS Cab / 2013 F12 M6
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marietta, GA

Posts: 2,186
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I don't think the X5M will be a year later. I think BMW will move to the Mercedes model of launching AMG models at roughly the same time as the base models.
Agreed. I was just reading articles about them today and it seems the M has been sighted pretty much everywhere the standard models have been. I would suspect a simultaneous release. At least I hope so. Considering getting one for the wife to replace her E70.
ColdList is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Brigadier General
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Agreed. I was just reading articles about them today and it seems the M has been sighted pretty much everywhere the standard models have been. I would suspect a simultaneous release. At least I hope so. Considering getting one for the wife to replace her E70.
The upside of marrying - excuse to buy more Ms.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 636
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Saw one on the road infront of me yesterday - not the 4wd but the current model. Damn its one ugly ride! So boxy and terrible lines.
Horrible hideous looking model
This coming from a previous E550 coupe 2010 very sweet model!!
Was one of the best looking cars and still is on the market!!!

Last edited by soooma; 01-21-2014 at 12:34 AM.
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
alexey21
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 ///M5 MONSTER
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philly

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

from stop = Merc, until M5 catches up
from roll = M5
alexey21 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
TC M3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 991TTS ,12MBC63, '14E63SAMG
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

Been driving my e63 S amg for 2 months now and it has exceeded my expectations ! Loving the 4 wheel drive and it's brutal torque .
Yes I dislike the electronics compared to the Bmw especially the 7 inch nav screen.
__________________
TC M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST