M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: 991 GT3, CLS63(coming) M5-sold
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

iTrader: (0)

which downpipes?

i want to liven up this thing a bit . sound wise and throttle response wise.

i was told specifically by my tuner to get downpipes with a genuine race cat (200 cell) and no spacer.


anyone know who produces these?



he told me NOT to go completely catless, as the f10 m5 needs both pre AND post-cat sensors for fuel/power management. this is not first hand knowledge so if any of you have knowledge to share on the subject id appreciate it.




they will be accompanied by an exhaust as well. thinking Eisenmann race or Meistershaft, but not completely decided yet.

Last edited by mainly; 05-21-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
73
Rep
4,874
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
i want to liven up this thing a bit . sound wise and throttle response wise.

i was told specifically by my tuner to get downpipes with a genuine race cat (200 cell) and no spacer.


anyone know who produces these?



he told me NOT to go completely catless, as the f10 m5 needs both pre AND post-cat sensors for fuel/power management. this is not first hand knowledge so if any of you have knowledge to share on the subject id appreciate it.




they will be accompanied by an exhaust as well. thinking Eisenmann race or Meistershaft, but not completely decided yet.
The EAS website has a couple of options one of which includes a high flow cat.
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
bm5bullit
First Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I have not seen a high-flow cat for the F10 other than the 400 cell or just go to the catless.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, tint
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, Daily Driver
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: 991 GT3, CLS63(coming) M5-sold
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I have not seen a high-flow cat for the F10 other than the 400 cell or just go to the catless.
Thanks.eas has a 300 cell advertised on their site. But he told me to go with a 200 cell. I want there to be a significant difference and im afraid 300 cell won't be much better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
primetime1
Private
3
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 550i F10
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami Beach

iTrader: (0)

catless youll get some exhaust fumes with windows open but on my 550i it made a huge power difference.. I will also be going catless on my M5 as soon as I get it next week.!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
bm5bullit
First Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Still seriously considering the Catless from IND. I think that the modded sound with a near stock exhaust will definitely be nice.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, tint
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, Daily Driver
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: 991 GT3, CLS63(coming) M5-sold
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
Still seriously considering the Catless from IND. I think that the modded sound with a near stock exhaust will definitely be nice.
i checked their site, couldn't see any downpipes.

they out yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
Hunter5179's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,575
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Manhart Racing has downpipes too
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, VSE 003's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, KW V3, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, P3Cars Gauges, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.
My Thread:
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794659
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LOS ANGELES

iTrader: (0)

Here's the question I really want to know ...

If you add DP's whether with or without cats will you need a tune to accompany the upgrade?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
bm5bullit
First Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT View Post
Here's the question I really want to know ...

If you add DP's whether with or without cats will you need a tune to accompany the upgrade?
I will definitely want that option. Are you following that thread on the Manhart Tune Group Buy?
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, tint
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, Daily Driver
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Nate@IND
Nate@IND's Avatar
490
Rep
10,449
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (19)

The link is officially up on the AMS site

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/a...downpipes.html

Here is a set we just shipped with the high temp coating-




__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
bm5bullit
First Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

That is exactly what I am talking about. Nate, please pm the price for these bad boys.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, tint
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, Daily Driver
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
noushy
///M Fan
United_States
7
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, Mi

iTrader: (0)

Down pipes

You guys suck now I want a set. $2999 is a bit pricey with cats. Anyone who has these installed please chime in. Looking for some experience with the catalyst version.

Peace
__________________
2013 BMW Alpina B7x SWB Alpina Blue
2013 BMW M6 Coupe Brilliant White Met. Akrapovic Evo full titanium, AMS Alpha DPs, Gruppe M intake, HRE S101s 20s, full BMW M perf parts, comp springs sway bars, awaiting Dinan, 630hp 570lb/ft
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Matt@Supersprint-USA
Second Lieutenant
Matt@Supersprint-USA's Avatar
7
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

We offer catless downpipes or catted downpipes that will fit with the OEM front pipes.

If you want to remain catted, I would highly recommend our catless downpipes + catted front pipes combo. The cats are moved downstream and reduced EGTs tremendously!

Going full catless is fine, we've found a work around to include microcats and not trigger a CEL. However anyone considering a catless system should pair it with a tune. The ECU restricts this car a lot!

Here is a link for more info:
http://supersprintlabs.com/portfolio...aust-rd-notes/

Full catless setup:
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
RPiM5
Brigadier General
RPiM5's Avatar
93
Rep
4,860
Posts

 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Supersprint-USA View Post
The ECU restricts this car a lot!
This is exactly right. However the choices for a proper tune with a catless downpipe setup is extremely limited right now.
__________________
Why did Santa Claus buy a BMW M5 instead of an M4? Because he needed the back seats for his Ho Ho Ho's.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
boots
Colonel
boots's Avatar
33
Rep
2,442
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

I don't know much about these pipes but I do know kooks make some bad ass pipes.
__________________
2013 Bmw M5-Alpine White/Black-Oem gloss blk powder coated wheels-Expel clear bra-35% tint-Rpi Gtm Exhaust-Rpi Downpipes-Rpi Scoops-Bms piggy piggy-Hr springs

Country run

Last edited by boots; 06-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: 991 GT3, CLS63(coming) M5-sold
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Supersprint-USA View Post
We offer catless downpipes or catted downpipes that will fit with the OEM front pipes.

If you want to remain catted, I would highly recommend our catless downpipes + catted front pipes combo. The cats are moved downstream and reduced EGTs tremendously!

Going full catless is fine, we've found a work around to include microcats and not trigger a CEL. However anyone considering a catless system should pair it with a tune. The ECU restricts this car a lot!

Here is a link for more info:
http://supersprintlabs.com/portfolio...aust-rd-notes/

Full catless setup:
thanks for your post, im definately interested. one thing for sure, no one can accuse you of fudging your dyno resuts to show bigger gains. 7 hp gain for all those mods. of course the question then becomes, is it worth 8-$9000 in upgrades for 7 hp?

i already have a tune. so ill have to check with my tuner to see if maybe it needs to be tweaked.

for catted version II, are these 200 cell cats?


btw, i thought dynos only showed wheel hp?

Last edited by mainly; 05-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Matt@Supersprint-USA
Second Lieutenant
Matt@Supersprint-USA's Avatar
7
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

You need to look at gains across the powerboard instead of peak hp only, even more so on a torque monster such as the M5. High RPM arent its forté!

We're expecting much better results with a catless tune as the ECU simply cannot and wont adjust to the newly released exhaust flow. I would not expect a tune to allow this engine to breath much more at higher RPMs but would add tremendous amounts of mid-range performance.

Max horsepower +7,7 hp @ 5770 rpm
+16,5 hp @ 2900 rpm
+21,9 hp @ 4300 rpm
+21,2 hp @ 5400 rpm

Max torque +34,1 Nm @ 2930 rpm
+32,1 Nm @ 2100 rpm
+38,7 Nm @ 2900 rpm
+31,2 Nm @ 4000 rpm
+30,2 Nm @ 5100 rpm

The catless downpipes were designed to fit with the OEM front pipes as well as any downpipe-back exhaust. Thery are 80mm in diameter with a 70mm slip connection. The microcats are an extra $440 for the pair. We use 2x100 CPSI HJS metallic racing catalytic converters either on the downpipes or the front pipes.

I hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
thanks for your post, im definately interested. one thing for sure, no one can accuse you of fudging your dyno resuts to show bigger gains. 7 hp gain for all those mods. of course the question then becomes, is it worth 8-$9000 in upgrades for 7 hp?

i already have a tune. so ill have to check with my tuner to see if maybe it needs to be tweaked.

for catted version II, are these 200 cell cats?


btw, i thought dynos only showed wheel hp?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: 991 GT3, CLS63(coming) M5-sold
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Supersprint-USA View Post
You need to look at gains across the powerboard instead of peak hp only, even more so on a torque monster such as the M5. High RPM arent its forté!

We're expecting much better results with a catless tune as the ECU simply cannot and wont adjust to the newly released exhaust flow. I would not expect a tune to allow this engine to breath much more at higher RPMs but would add tremendous amounts of mid-range performance.

Max horsepower +7,7 hp @ 5770 rpm
+16,5 hp @ 2900 rpm
+21,9 hp @ 4300 rpm
+21,2 hp @ 5400 rpm

Max torque +34,1 Nm @ 2930 rpm
+32,1 Nm @ 2100 rpm
+38,7 Nm @ 2900 rpm
+31,2 Nm @ 4000 rpm
+30,2 Nm @ 5100 rpm

The catless downpipes were designed to fit with the OEM front pipes as well as any downpipe-back exhaust. Thery are 80mm in diameter with a 70mm slip connection. The microcats are an extra $440 for the pair. We use 2x100 CPSI HJS metallic racing catalytic converters either on the downpipes or the front pipes.

I hope this helps!
yes i see what you mean.


so how much for just the downpipes with the race cats?

and sure they wont trigger a cel?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Matt@Supersprint-USA
Second Lieutenant
Matt@Supersprint-USA's Avatar
7
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

PM sent
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST