M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #67
buildbright
Captain

Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I searched and so far found many posts covering service and minor warranty work, what I'm thinking about is similar to what I found in this post when I searched:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=18

From what I understand there is a big difference between what your local garage can detect and what BMW HQ can detect from the software. And as the former service manager posted above, it seems like a lot of data is downloaded and relayed to BMW.
Its there keep searching lots of forums to cover. Engines, transmissions, and turbos have been replaced.
      10-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #68
335iRlz
Major

Drives: 335i RiP,M3,f10m5 gone, m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Its there keep searching lots of forums to cover. Engines, transmissions, and turbos have been replaced.
Exactly. I have faith that an ecu stock reflash based on a file that was taken off your car pre tune install is enough to get it back to where it wouldn't be worth their time to void you... THe real unknown for us f10 guys is if there are things the tunes haven't found that are logging perimeters that we won't know until the first person takes a engine, tranny, turbo VOID... Same way someone probably got their warranty voided on the 335i's when we all found out about the tuner codes popping and then in subsequent years the tuners were able to beat those.

I'd sign up if it was for 200whp or something crazy like cobb and jb4 can do on a simple map, but for 54whp or something tiny lmao hardly seems worth the trouble considering the value of the car/parts at hand
      10-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #69
buildbright
Captain

Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Exactly. I have faith that an ecu stock reflash based on a file that was taken off your car pre tune install is enough to get it back to where it wouldn't be worth their time to void you... THe real unknown for us f10 guys is if there are things the tunes haven't found that are logging perimeters that we won't know until the first person takes a engine, tranny, turbo VOID... Same way someone probably got their warranty voided on the 335i's when we all found out about the tuner codes popping and then in subsequent years the tuners were able to beat those.

I'd sign up if it was for 200whp or something crazy like cobb and jb4 can do on a simple map, but for 54whp or something tiny lmao hardly seems worth the trouble considering the value of the car/parts at hand
Well Said.

BMW has picked up a development 550i so stage 2 will be out and hopefully will work on the M5. There is one member with a M6 running 11.4 with a stage1 smoking the tires and trapping near 130mph.
      10-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #70
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post

Exactly how I feel too. Not worth the trouble for such a small increase. I've been running a stock tune on my car for 14 months and I still think the car has more power than I could possibly use. Still, all I want is a simple top speed limiter removal with no bump in boost and still no tuner can give me just that.
      10-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #71
6spdterror
Route Runner

Drives: 13 F10 M5

Agreed. Personally i think this car has way more power than i need. I used to have a turbo honda making 500whp and i can tell you this, it was fun and scary but it was never a worry free ride, youre always checking gauges, looking for smoke, smelling for coolant etc. Not to mention i blew a few engines too even the fully built professionally tuned ones trying to do highway pulls. The difference is, you can buy another used honda engine for 700 bucks or a built one for a couple grand. An M5 engine is upwards of 40k, thats a risk im not willing to take. Ill drive and enjoy my car the way the factory intended. More power to you guys willing to take the plunge tho, im yet to hear of anyone blowing up the engine.
No one really knows the limits of this engine and the tranny as to how much RELIABLE power they can handle. Guess time will tell
6spdterror is offline   United_States
      10-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #72
335iRlz
Major

Drives: 335i RiP,M3,f10m5 gone, m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
Agreed. Personally i think this car has way more power than i need. I used to have a turbo honda making 500whp and i can tell you this, it was fun and scary but it was never a worry free ride, youre always checking gauges, looking for smoke, smelling for coolant etc. Not to mention i blew a few engines too even the fully built professionally tuned ones trying to do highway pulls. The difference is, you can buy another used honda engine for 700 bucks or a built one for a couple grand. An M5 engine is upwards of 40k, thats a risk im not willing to take. Ill drive and enjoy my car the way the factory intended. More power to you guys willing to take the plunge tho, im yet to hear of anyone blowing up the engine.
No one really knows the limits of this engine and the tranny as to how much RELIABLE power they can handle. Guess time will tell
Maybe it was just rumor and car chat talk but apparently the m3 gintani stage 3.5+ (like 700whp) can't go on the dct because it couldn't take it (a kit I was thinking about getting)... Not sure how this gen of dct's is.

Again I'm not worried about modding, I'm worried about being the first one to find out from BMW: "Oh even though you flashed it back to stock, our new bluetooth 3.2.1.1.23.56.2 auto logging das auto feature logged it and sent us changes in your car on December 5th 2013, so you're VOIDED"

10-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #73
AlphaAlpineM6
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 BMW M6 & 2012 AMG CLS63

Garage List
BMW has firmed up the DCT to take the extra power. But there's not much overhead from stock, just like the m3. I'd say a 10-15% increase is likely max

2014 BMW M6 | Mods: KW V3 - AMS Catless DP - EisenmannSport - P3Cars VID - Charcoal Filter Delete - 35% Tint
AlphaAlpineM6 is offline   United_States