M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > M5 Classifieds > Sponsors Classifieds

02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Ilia@IND
BMW obsessed

Drives: F10 M5

F10 M5 Carbotech pads from IND Distribution!

Any M5 owner knows that while this super sedan is typically used on the street, the real talents of the M5 lie in the car’s ability to be an incredible track performer this weekend, and an incredibly comfortable car to take you to the office the following Monday. The F10 M5 is truly a masterpiece by BMW, and it is this capability that makes the M5 such an all-star.

One of the most critical areas to discuss when planning to drive your M5 at a road course is its braking system. While the front calipers are a radially mounted monoblock construction work of art, and the rotors both front and rear have an incredible amount of thermal capacity, the brake fluid and pads used are still designed for the street, and will not hold up to serious work around a race track. We learned this as soon as our F10 M5 project car arrived at IND, when we put the car through its paces around AutoBahn Country Club’s road course.

The good news is, upgrading the brake pads and fluid can fill out the M5’s performance envelope and provide enough braking power to complete this car’s transformation to a track beast.

IND has worked directly with Carbotech to develop an exclusive pad shape that fits perfectly in the F10 M5 brake calipers. As a result, the complete Carbotech lineup is now available in M5 fitment from IND Distribution.

CarboTech offers a large selection of compound solutions, with everything from the most mild street pad to the most heavy duty track pad available for the M5 at great price points.

Please contact an IND representative or IND products dealer for more information!

Last edited by Ilia@IND; 02-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.
      02-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
DrKevM5
Captain

Drives: F10 M5 AW 6MT

Awesome. I'm IND's bitch again...
'08 e90 M3, Jerez Black/Bamboo Beige, 6MT,GONE
'13 M5 Alpine White/Black Merino, 6MT
      02-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Ilia@IND
BMW obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Awesome. I'm IND's bitch again...
      02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
chizi
Private

Drives: BMW M5 2012 Hamann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND

Any M5 owner knows that while this super sedan is typically used on the street, the real talents of the M5 lie in the cars ability to be an incredible track performer this weekend, and an incredibly comfortable car to take you to the office the following Monday. The F10 M5 is truly a masterpiece by BMW, and it is this capability that makes the M5 such an all-star.

One of the most critical areas to discuss when planning to drive your M5 at a road course is its braking system. While the front calipers are a radially mounted monoblock construction work of art, and the rotors both front and rear have an incredible amount of thermal capacity, the brake fluid and pads used are still designed for the street, and will not hold up to serious work around a race track. We learned this as soon as our F10 M5 project car arrived at IND, when we put the car through its paces around AutoBahn Country Clubs road course.

The good news is, upgrading the brake pads and fluid can fill out the M5s performance envelope and provide enough braking power to complete this cars transformation to a track beast.

IND has worked directly with Carbotech to develop an exclusive pad shape that fits perfectly in the F10 M5 brake calipers. As a result, the complete Carbotech lineup is now available in M5 fitment from IND Distribution.

CarboTech offers a large selection of compound solutions, with everything from the most mild street pad to the most heavy duty track pad available for the M5 at great price points.

Please contact an IND representative or IND products dealer for more information!

Bump pm me price and options
chizi is offline   United Arab Emirates
      02-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Champ

Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1

Ok. So what we the improvements? Any compromise for the street?
URBAN LEGEND is offline   United_States
      02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

Do you have any performance data?

How does it affect braking distance?

How does it affect brake dust?

How does it affect brake noise/squeal?
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
      02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Ilia@IND
BMW obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Ok. So what we the improvements? Any compromise for the street?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Do you have any performance data?

How does it affect braking distance?

How does it affect brake dust?

How does it affect brake noise/squeal?

Brake pads in general are a bit of a sliding scale- a pad that performs well on the track will have some unwanted behaviors on the street, and a pad that behaves well on the street will generally not perform perfectly on the track.

With that said, most modern cars (especially ones made by BMW M) are not limited by brake pad when it comes to stopping distance. The original pad will already stop the car as quickly as the tires will allow, or to put it another way, the M5 is limited by tire compound, not pad compound, with respect to stopping distance.

What brake pad manufacturers are typically manipulating when building a high performance brake pad are things like initial bite (the amount of response a pad has when you first apply pressure to the pedal), temperature threshold (the operating temperature of the pad, or how hot the pad can get before the compound no longer functions to slow the car), and brake torque (the amount of overall torque the pad can apply on the disc during braking). Pad wear is also critical in racing, and many manufacturers work hard to develop "endurance" pads specifically for endurance racing, with compounds that are rotor-friendly (do not abuse or excessively wear the disc surface), and last for a very long time in extremely harsh conditions.

With that said, CarboTech offers a host of compounds, and all are available for the F10 M5 now that IND has developed the appropriate pad shapes with CarboTech. The various compounds have different characteristics, and will behave differently with respect to disc life, heat tolerance, etc...

All of the compounds can be viewed at the CarboTech website at the link below, but I will also highlight some of our favorites:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds2.asp

Carbotech™ XP20™
The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds. XP20™ is a step up from the highly successful XP16™ compound. With an extremely aggressive initial bite, linear torque curve and excellent fade resistance the XP20™ is another major step in progression of the highly successful XP™ series line of compounds from Carbotech™. XP20™ has a temperature range of 275°F to 2000°F+ (135°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP20™ maintains our tradition of having the outstanding release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP20™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP12™
Another highly successful XP™ series compound with an excellent initial bite, torque and fade resistance over and above the XP10™ compound. XP12™ has temperature range of 250°F to 1850°F+ (121°C to 1010°C+). The XP12™ has that excellent Carbotech™ release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. The XP12™ is more rotor aggressive than XP10™, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly. XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP10™
When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

We typically use the XP12 compound in the front of the F10 M5, and the XP10 compound in the rear of the F10 M5 when disc wear and general mild manners are more important than outright performance. The XP12 and XP10 combination is nearly quiet enough to drive every day, depending on your tolerance for race pads. Many of our track day clients do use these pads daily, but they are of course making their own decision based on their own level of tolerance for a high performance pad.

The XP20 front and XP12 rear combination will provide more overall brake torque and a more aggressive initial bite, with a very slightly faster disc wear. This is a good choice for clients who want the most performance from the M5's brake system, and are willing to have slightly faster disc wear to get there.

Ultimately many will choose to use these pads are they are intended- as track pads that are to be swapped for your original BMW pads at the end of your track day for the drive home. The XP20, XP12, and XP10 compounds have a substantially higher temperature tolerance than the original BMW pads, and will dramatically increase safety in a road course environment.
      02-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

Thanks Ilia. What's your perspective on the Carbotech 1521?
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
      02-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
MCM5
Second Lieutenant

Drives: MCB F10 M5

I don't track. pads with performance similar to stock, but with much less dust, & no squeal are good enough for me. would 1521 fit such requirements?
      02-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Ilia@IND
BMW obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Thanks Ilia. What's your perspective on the Carbotech 1521?
No problem!

The 1521 pad is a very mild compound, intended to enhance a car's demeanor in street driving. Initial bite, overall brake torque, and temperature tolerance should be very similar to the OE BMW pad in the M5, but the brake dust will be reduced substantially. It's a good street pad, but should not be used in a real high performance environment.

Unfortunately I've not been able to test the 1521 compound on the M5 back-to-back against the OE BMW pad- the above info is from my previous experiences with other cars. We've used the XP20, 12, and 10 compounds for high performance track work on the F10 M5 with very good success, but have stuck to those compounds so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM5 View Post
I don't track. pads with performance similar to stock, but with much less dust, & no squeal are good enough for me. would 1521 fit such requirements?

Yes, the 1521 compound is exactly that and would work well for you.
      04-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
toni8284
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Ilia,

Compare the XP8, XP10 and XP12.

what is the best combination for me?

I only go to about 4-5 days of track in a year. And I am in beginner-intermediate group.

I dont want a pad that damage my rotor as quickly as possible.

You suggested XP12 at front ad XP10 at rear.

I was thinking to get XP10 at front and XP8 at rear, or XP10 all around.

My main goal is to have fun and do less damage to the brake and most import, not overheating the brake pad.

I am ready to buy from you since my track day will be 4/28-29.

Thanks