M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

07-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Navigation Weather Icons/Info

I have the Weather option turned on under the Additional Info settings on my NAV. According to the manual, it's supposed to show weather icons and current temps but I don't see anything. What am I missing here? Do I need to subscribe to weather service from Sirius for this info?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #2
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
I have the Weather option turned on under the Additional Info settings on my NAV. According to the manual, it's supposed to show weather icons and current temps but I don't see anything. What am I missing here? Do I need to subscribe to weather service from Sirius for this info?
You need to subscribe to ConnectedDrive/BMW Online services for that information.

Check the ConnectedDrive Store on your vehicle (or login to the ConnectedDrive portal) for pricing and details.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
You need to subscribe to ConnectedDrive/BMW Online services for that information.

Check the ConnectedDrive Store on your vehicle (or login to the ConnectedDrive portal) for pricing and details.
Ah. I thought the weather was part of the same data stream that the traffic comes from via the radio stations...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
Ah. I thought the weather was part of the same data stream that the traffic comes from via the radio stations...
That's just RDS/TMC which is very basic traffic information.

BMW Assist also has Advanced Real-Time Traffic which is much more accurate and up-to-date (updates every three minutes to the vehicle and their data provider INRIX crowdsources traffic information from connected devices and connected vehicles in real-time).

You can see an overview of what services are provided by BMW Assist using the following link.

Service Availability Matrix
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I rarely use the onboard NAV. I've been using Waze for the last year and it's hands down the best app for navigation when it comes to traffic avoidance.

That being said, I haven't had my car long enough to play with the Navigation, so I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on how well the BMW Nav goes compared to the Google Maps, Waze, etc. of the world.
Appreciate 0