M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-19-2024, 11:03 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
A hardtop convertible would be sweet but add a ton of weight with all of the insulation they use. Rolls uses soft tops too, must be junk.
Lord knows it can do w some wt savings.

LOL, nice strawman...but, ya, junk in terms of for ppl who love driving. RRs are meant for you to sit in the back and driven by chauffeurs.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:55 AM   #24
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Lord knows it can do w some wt savings.

LOL, nice strawman...but, ya, junk in terms of for ppl who love driving. RRs are meant for you to sit in the back and driven by chauffeurs.
Have you driven either one? The Wraith is easily one of the best cars I’ve ever driven. I haven’t had the chance to drive the current generation of Bentleys yet but all I’ve heard is how great they are. The interiors are incredible in them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 01:15 AM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you driven either one? The Wraith is easily one of the best cars I’ve ever driven. I haven’t had the chance to drive the current generation of Bentleys yet but all I’ve heard is how great they are. The interiors are incredible in them.
No, but I can't imagine it handles like a Lotus or Miata. If you could explain why it's the best I'm all ears.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:04 AM   #26
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, but I can't imagine it handles like a Lotus or Miata. If you could explain why it's the best I'm all ears.
When you’re old you’ll care less about shoe-horning yourself into a tiny car and more about driving one of the best cars on the planet. I’ve had plenty of sports cars and currently have a 458 that I traded the Wraith for, but there is nothing that drives like a Rolls. It’s the absolute smoothest most luxurious ride you can possibly get. It’s fast for its size, you feel like a total boss driving it, the upgraded sound system is the best I’ve ever heard in any car that’s OEM, and it’s just an experience that no other manufacturer replicates including Bentley. The Rolls of today is not the Rolls of the 1980s.

Last edited by dgoldenz; 05-20-2024 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:41 AM   #27
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
If the old carmakers back in the day had today's tech, do you really think they would place a napkin where a metal roof is supposed to be? They only did it because that's all they knew what to do w their ltd expertise/tech/etc.
On a Bentley, yes, but on real sports cars I think the tops were made as flimsy and terrible as possible so the owner would only use them if caught in a downpour (as it should be).

Quote:
I've driven them, and they're just fantastic, and hide their weight super well. Technology is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 11:19 AM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When you’re old you’ll care less about shoe-horning yourself into a tiny car and more about driving one of the best cars on the planet. I’ve had plenty of sports cars and currently have a 458 that I traded the Wraith for, but there is nothing that drives like a Rolls. It’s the absolute smoothest most luxurious ride you can possibly get. It’s fast for its size, you feel like a total boss driving it, the upgraded sound system is the best I’ve ever heard in any car that’s OEM, and it’s just an experience that no other manufacturer replicates including Bentley. The Rolls of today is not the Rolls of the 1980s.
I'm older too but don't need to shoehorn into anything though.

Wow, from a 458 to a Rolls?! That is quite the extreme transition haha. If I wanted smooth and luxurious, I'd just have Jeeves drive Well, diff strokes man, rock on.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 11:27 AM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
On a Bentley, yes, but on real sports cars I think the tops were made as flimsy and terrible as possible so the owner would only use them if caught in a downpour (as it should be).

I've driven them, and they're just fantastic, and hide their weight super well. Technology is amazing.
For real sportscars and ppl obsessed about maxxing everything, they'd go for the coupe

That's the thing about Bentleys and their ilk, they need to hide their wt by adding a gazillion HP...I don't get the pt since I subscribe to Colin Chapman's credo of "simplify, then add lightness"*. Obviously, you know since you have one.

*No idea what was the exact quote, so I'm just paraphrasing.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:16 PM   #30
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm older too but don't need to shoehorn into anything though.

Wow, from a 458 to a Rolls?! That is quite the extreme transition haha. If I wanted smooth and luxurious, I'd just have Jeeves drive Well, diff strokes man, rock on.
I've had all sorts of cars from E92 M3's to 911's to a Vanquish, 458, FF, Wraith, Macan GTS, Cayenne Turbo, Panamera Turbo S, etc. Usually drive the "fun car" for 6-12 months and then find a new toy. Still got plenty of cars on my list to mow down - F12, GTC4Lusso, 355 manual, GT4RS, DBS Superleggera, Dawn, new generation Bentley Flying Spur or Conti GT. 812 GTS one day when I can afford it.

Obviously a Wraith is not a sports car, it's not going to corner on rails or go 0-60 in 3 seconds but I've had plenty of cars that did that so it was nice to do something totally different. I drove it way more than the sports cars I've had, put as many miles on it in 6 months as I do in 12-18 months with most other secondary cars, and I definitely miss it despite how awesome the 458 is. .
Appreciate 1
chassis7557.50
      05-20-2024, 08:40 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
"When you’re old you’ll care less about shoe-horning yourself into a tiny car and..."

Wait, when does this happen? Shit.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-20-2024 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 09:32 PM   #32
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
"When you’re old you’ll care less about shoe-horning yourself into a tiny car and..."

Wait, when does this happen? Shit.
I’m 38 so yeah lol
Appreciate 1
chassis7557.50
      05-21-2024, 07:33 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m 38 so yeah lol
I'm way older than that and still drive a Z4 Coupe and Z3 Roadster. I guess I didn't get the memo from AARP.

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2024, 10:27 AM   #34
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm way older than that and still drive a Z4 Coupe and Z3 Roadster. I guess I didn't get the memo from AARP.

As much as I love driving the 458, shimmying in and out of it in my garage that’s several inches too small on each side can be a PITA, even with the top down. Coupe would be even harder to get in and out. Surprisingly, the Wraith has been easily the best car to get in and out of for my garage. The reverse hinge doors and extremely heavy weight of them makes it so easy to just slide right out since they stop anywhere instead of “swinging” like lighter doors that can hit the wall. I was not expecting that when I bought it since the doors are so big on it.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18665.50
      05-21-2024, 10:43 AM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As much as I love driving the 458, shimmying in and out of it in my garage that’s several inches too small on each side can be a PITA, even with the top down. Coupe would be even harder to get in and out. Surprisingly, the Wraith has been easily the best car to get in and out of for my garage. The reverse hinge doors and extremely heavy weight of them makes it so easy to just slide right out since they stop anywhere instead of “swinging” like lighter doors that can hit the wall. I was not expecting that when I bought it since the doors are so big on it.
I custom designed and built my own carport and made sure I had plenty of door swing space. Coupes do have long doors.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 01:22 PM   #36
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Only 16 of these beauties will be made at the Mulliner branch and the cost as you can imagine will be eye opening.
This car is so f***** stunning that it is literally for me, the Perfect Vehicle overall on earth.

The only thing is I prefer and need a Hard top due to my severe allergies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chassis7557.50