Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Full leather upper door arm panels

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Please can someone with a full leather interior take a picture of the upper door arm panels (I.e. the black panel at the top of the door that is below the window)?

I want to see if a custom leather shop can replicate it since it will affect whether I order platinum Extended or Silverstone Full leather. I already have the leather dash in the 550i for them to look at so I only need to show them the upper door arms.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Please can someone with a full leather interior take a picture of the upper door arm panels (I.e. the black panel at the top of the door that is below the window)?

I want to see if a custom leather shop can replicate it since it will affect whether I order platinum Extended or Silverstone Full leather. I already have the leather dash in the 550i for them to look at so I only need to show them the upper door arms.
Stealth
So that I fully understand this? If you get Individual Extended leather, you do not get
1) upper dash in leather
2) Upper door panels in lethaer?

I know that the dash is available as an extra $ option, but are you saying your way (getting someone to make it) is the only way to get the upper door panels outside of ordering a Full leather option
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
Stealth
So that I fully understand this? If you get Individual Extended leather, you do not get
1) upper dash in leather
2) Upper door panels in lethaer?

I know that the dash is available as an extra $ option, but are you saying your way (getting someone to make it) is the only way to get the upper door panels outside of ordering a Full leather option
If you get Individual Extended leather instead of Full Merino leather, you lose:
1) Leather Dash
2) Leather upper door arms (black foil plastic area at top of door)
3) Leather on lower part of door around door compartment pocket

In Canada, they quoted the leather as follows:
1) Extended Individual $3000
2) fULL mERINO $4500
3) Full Individual $9500

So BMW Canada is ripping people off because the difference between Extended Individual and Full Individual doesn't justify a $6500 premium for the dash, upper door arms and door pockets.

But you and I are in the USA so we don't know how BMW USA will price this. Our pricing may be more intelligent. So far ours is very different to canadian pricing, because in the US Full merino is $3500 and Extended Individual is $5000. I think at $5000 we should be getting Full Individual.

On my 2012 550i, the leather dash option was $2200. So if they mimick that, then for $7200 you can get Extended Merino plus Nappa Dash. I think that is a rip off too.

Bottom line, I think I will either learn to live with Full Silverstone, or they will offer Leather dash and door arms for $1000-1500 on top of the $5000. I think $6000-6500 for Full individual Merino would be reasonable. More than that and it starts to make you think you should just get Full Silverstone.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Individual Extended does not include leather on the dash or the upper door panel; the post above is the first time I've seen the lower door compartment area mentioned as excluded, so I'm not sure about that. However, if you get an Individual Extended interior, there IS another option that will restore BOTH the leather dash AND the upper door area. I don't know what it costs though.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Individual Extended does not include leather on the dash or the upper door panel; the post above is the first time I've seen the lower door compartment area mentioned as excluded, so I'm not sure about that. However, if you get an Individual Extended interior, there IS another option that will restore BOTH the leather dash AND the upper door area. I don't know what it costs though.
There isn't another option that restores both. There is an option, 4M5, which is leather dash. doesnt include doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
AttyGunther
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 M5~11 Z435is~14 K1600GTL-E

I don't think anyone has asked, but other than color, is there any difference in the quality of leather offered in the Individual line?

As much as I don't want another black interior, I'm leaning that way simply because it's available in full. I really like cohiba, but the lack of a leather dash and door uppers would bug me, and i doubt i could justify the premium above the $5k already for Individual just to get those parts covered.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

That quote of 9500 for the full individual includes the piano trim which is like $1000. So actually the cost is about 8500. It just blows my mind that a leather wrapped dash would not be standard in a car this expensive, then to make matters worse BMW does not even make it standard on Individual.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
That quote of 9500 for the full individual includes the piano trim which is like $1000. So actually the cost is about 8500. It just blows my mind that a leather wrapped dash would not be standard in a car this expensive, then to make matters worse BMW does not even make it standard on Individual.
Agree. It's ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that in the US the individual is priced higher than the full merino despite having less leather content.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

The idea of holding some colors off to the side, calling them individual and charging more is cynical at best. They are not inherently more valuable and would seem to cost BMW no more to provide. I can understand a charge for true individual ie a color YOU select and they must procure and install.

The Emperor has no leather!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Yes the lower door panel does not have leather on extended individual.

Look at these two M5s. The first M5 has extended Individual Platinum and lower door trim is black plastic foil grain. The second M5 with Full Individual Platinum has the lower door pocket area is trimmed in platinum leather.
Attached Images

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-08-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
There isn't another option that restores both. There is an option, 4M5, which is leather dash. doesnt include doors.
The extended ordering guide somewhere on this forum specifically says you can get both (the one with the while Nice, Nicer, Nicest breakdown). You have to go through the Individual Special Order program, but it's there.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The extended ordering guide somewhere on this forum specifically says you can get both (the one with the while Nice, Nicer, Nicest breakdown). You have to go through the Individual Special Order program, but it's there.
This is actually not true. What it says is that the Extended Individual Merino does not have leather dash or upper door sections, and if a customer wants a leather dash they should order option X3 instead (which means they are directing you to the less expensive Full Standard Merino option).

Read the part below where it says "Please Note:". Then scroll back up to where it refers to "codes beginning with X3"

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is actually not true. What it says is that the Extended Individual Merino does not have leather dash or upper door sections, and if a customer wants a leather dash they should order option X3 instead (which means they are directing you to the less expensive Full Standard Merino option).

Read the part below where it says "Please Note:". Then scroll back up to where it refers to "codes beginning with X3"
See that "v" at the end of that sentence you mention? Footnote "v" reads:

I know it doesn't specifically mention leather door trim, but it says "Individual FULL Merino Leather", and Full includes the door trim. And even if it doesn't, since you're going through Special Order anyway, you'll definitely be able to get it.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 06-10-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:

See that "v" at the end of that sentence you mention? Footnote "v" reads:

I know it doesn't specifically mention leather door trim, but it says "Individual FULL Merino Leather", and Full includes the door trim. And even if it doesn't, since you're going through Special Order anyway, you'll definitely be able to get it.
As I stated in post 3 I am aware of the full individual option. I was wondering if there was a less expensive dash and door uppers solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
As I stated in post 3 I am aware of the full individual option. I was wondering if there was a less expensive dash and door uppers solution.
Not for Individual colors unless (maybe) you want to get it done aftermarket. BMW wouldn't offer the same thing at two different price points.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not for Individual colors unless (maybe) you want to get it done aftermarket. BMW wouldn't offer the same thing at two different price points.
As described in post 10 above, it is not the same thing. Full Individual also includes the lower door trim (the area around the map pockets) in leather. What I am asking for is Extended + Dash and Upper trim.

On the X5 there is an option called 4M5 which gives you dash and upper door trim in leather, which is less expensive than the upgrade to full leather. On the F10, 4M5 just covers the dash.
Appreciate 0