M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Cat delete

Has anyone simply removed the Cats on the M5 (appreciate it would need an ECU flash) this normally increases the exhaust note perfectly in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

To remove the cats in the F10 M5 is not the same as in the E60 M5. It's a little harder and a little easier at the same time. Both the primary and secondary cats on the F10 M5 are located in the downpipes. I haven't yet heard of anyone removing their downpipes and gutting their cats like people have done on the E60 M5. On the E60 M5 it is easy to remove the secondary cats since they are located in the exhaust itself, but the primary cats are difficult to remove because they are in the headers. If you gut the primary cats in the E60 and you want to put them back in, you'll basically have to buy buy all new headers which would be crazy expensive. On the F10, if you gutted both primary and secondary cats in the downpipes you will get a CEL just like in the E60, but unlike the E60 there is currently no tune out to code out the CEL on the F10, so you would have to live with it and with the intelligent software on the F10 M5's 2 DME's it might cause the car to have some unexpected reactions.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbomb View Post
Has anyone simply removed the Cats on the M5
I've considered doing that, but want to keep the stock downpipe just in case, so I'm waiting until the aftermarket steps up with the pipe and the software to go with it. All I really want is the modest HP and exhaust tone increase from the cat delete along with elimination of the speed limiter and I'll be happy. Don't need mega HP, and having just enough to leave a stock M5 behind is plenty. And after the cat free downpipe is in I can decide if an aftermarket exhaust is even necessary. The stock muffler tone may change considerably with the cats gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I've considered doing that, but want to keep the stock downpipe just in case, so I'm waiting until the aftermarket steps up with the pipe and the software to go with it. All I really want is the modest HP and exhaust tone increase from the cat delete along with elimination of the speed limiter and I'll be happy. Don't need mega HP, and having just enough to leave a stock M5 behind is plenty. And after the cat free downpipe is in I can decide if an aftermarket exhaust is even necessary. The stock muffler tone may change considerably with the cats gone.
That is exactly my thoughts, it will come soon enough. I guess the fact it is a slightly cheaper option means people are pushing the full systems before looking at this.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
To remove the cats in the F10 M5 is not the same as in the E60 M5. It's a little harder and a little easier at the same time. Both the primary and secondary cats on the F10 M5 are located in the downpipes. I haven't yet heard of anyone removing their downpipes and gutting their cats like people have done on the E60 M5. On the E60 M5 it is easy to remove the secondary cats since they are located in the exhaust itself, but the primary cats are difficult to remove because they are in the headers. If you gut the primary cats in the E60 and you want to put them back in, you'll basically have to buy buy all new headers which would be crazy expensive. On the F10, if you gutted both primary and secondary cats in the downpipes you will get a CEL just like in the E60, but unlike the E60 there is currently no tune out to code out the CEL on the F10, so you would have to live with it and with the intelligent software on the F10 M5's 2 DME's it might cause the car to have some unexpected reactions.
So it is the ECU flash that is really holding this option back. I think it will be a great setup once it has been sorted - obviously not as loud as yours RPI
Appreciate 0