BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

DCT question

After having had the M Performance exhaust fitted, my car now 'creeps' like a conventional automatic (and rolls on inclines - fortunately I reacted quick enough before this became an expensive lesson ). Probably not doing the clutch(es) much good!

Anyone had this issue and, if so, what was the cure (car is booked in, so hoping to expedite the fix)?

Incidentally, I've also lost the audible warning for the front PDC. Visual on iDrive still working as is rear PDC + top view, so possibly ECU related?

No faults displayed on iDrive.

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-28-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

when you touch the gas pedal, the car enters creep mode, and it keeps rolling at a slow speed. Its totally normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
After having had the M Performance exhaust fitted, my car now 'creeps' like a conventional automatic (and rolls on inclines - fortunately I reacted quick enough before this became an expensive lesson ). Probably not doing the clutch(es) much good!

Anyone had this issue and, if so, what was the cure (car is booked in, so hoping to expedite the fix)?

Incidentally, I've also lost the audible warning for the front PDC. Visual on iDrive still working as is rear PDC + top view, so possibly ECU related?

No faults displayed on iDrive.
You coming from the E60 M5?

F10 M5 enters creep mode with a slight tap of the throttle and only exits (sits still) when it comes to a full stop.

I wish it were different too.
      03-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post

F10 M5 enters creep mode with a slight tap of the throttle and only exits (sits still) when it comes to a full stop.

Interesting. I like the creep mode. Guess its what you're used to.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

Yeah I agree. It's something that you get used to especially after owning 3 E60 M5's.

But after 7,000mi of driving my F10 M5, it bothers me less and less.
      03-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

Yeah I agree. It's something that you get used to especially after owning 3 E60 M5's.

But after 7,000mi of driving my F10 M5, it bothers me less and less.
Does your Mercedes operate the same way as the E60?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
when you touch the gas pedal, the car enters creep mode, and it keeps rolling at a slow speed. Its totally normal.
Quote:
Sorry chaps, I seem to have caused some confusion with the 'creep' terminology, in fact, what I said isn't true - it doesn't creep when disengaging the brakes, it just rolls instantly if on an incline (so if in D it can roll backwards the instant the brakes are released): -

Pre-M Perf exhaust my car did operate as you describe above - when stationary sat still, tap throttle to engage creep mode. Brake to stop & sat stationary again. Also held the car (at least momentarily) on inclines, with parking & foot brake disengaged.

Post-M Perf exhaust, it not longer sits still - car does not hold at all on inclines; as soon as you release the parking and/or foot brake on an incline, it rolls. Release the brakes from standstill and it will (a) accelerate on a downwards incline, (b) not do anything on a level surface or if you tap the throttle it will move forwards in D & backwards in R then decelerate to a stop due to friction/resistance (i.e. not enter creep mode) or (c) roll backwards on a upwards incline. It now behaves like a manual transmission car in gear whilst you have the clutch disengaged (until you apply the throttle) or I suppose a bit like an SMG.

The other thing I noticed was that although my brake discs were rusty I didn't have to break them free by applying the throttle (although you can hear & feel the brakes applying when you engage the parking brake).

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-28-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think your issue is unrelated to the exhaust.

Our cars, by nature, will roll forward and backwards with the DCT transmission. BMW M designed and installed a feature so that by design, the car will hold for a moment to allow your foot to move from pedal to pedal.

The dealer should be looking into that feature - hill start assist. Which seems to have ceased functioning.
      03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
GoodandEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch

Our cars, by nature, will roll forward and backwards with the DCT transmission. BMW M designed and installed a feature so that by design, the car will hold for a moment to allow your foot to move from pedal to pedal.

The dealer should be looking into that feature - hill start assist. Which seems to have ceased functioning.
I agree, it seems OP's problem is disfunction of hill assist-which I think is very handy especially at garage entrance
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil View Post
I agree, it seems OP's problem is disfunction of hill assist-which I think is very handy especially at garage entrance
Thanks - I believe this could be it - hill start not functioning & I may have just perceived that creep is also defunct due to not having to disengage the brakes through tapping the throttle pedal. Will do some further testing before I take the car in.

It's somewhat worrying just how much I've unconsciously began to rely on these features and take them for granted (hill start assist & PDC audio)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil View Post
Yes Hill assist is at fault.
      03-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What if hill start assist is also what enables creep mode?

!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea how this could be tested though. As in how to purposely deactivate it.
      03-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What if hill start assist is also what enables creep mode?

!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea how this could be tested though. As in how to purposely deactivate it.
lol; if I find out the fix, I'll post up and leave the experts to reverse engineer
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
M5 RAG
Private
Rep
Drives: SG + SO F10 M5

Might seem like a daft question but are you wearing your seatbelt?

When the seatbelt is buckled you don't need to manually disengage the handbrake when you pull off for the first time after starting the car, it will then always automatically engage when on hills (inclines not declines) the car shouldn't roll at all when the handbrake is autonomously actuating - If you don't buckle your seatbelt the handbrake doesn't automatically disengage and therefore only works to hold the car via manual actuation - something I recently noticed!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #15
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 RAG View Post
Might seem like a daft question but are you wearing your seatbelt?

When the seatbelt is buckled you don't need to manually disengage the handbrake when you pull off for the first time after starting the car, it will then always automatically engage when on hills (inclines not declines) the car shouldn't roll at all when the handbrake is autonomously actuating - If you don't buckle your seatbelt the handbrake doesn't automatically disengage and therefore only works to hold the car via manual actuation - something I recently noticed!
finally i know why sometimes it disengages automatically and sometimes not
Appreciate 0