BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Interesting. There is a 50 year old woman near me that drives a new white R8 Spyder v10.

I never thought anything of it until now. Pretty car nonetheless.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL View Post
Pretty car, but not an enthusiast car - which is why I could never own one myself. Where I live, it is unfortunately a car for the "ladies, check me out... I don't know anything about performance cars, nor could I really drive one if given the chance" set.
Not all ladies who drive the R8 fall into that category. This lady drives this on the street and track
Name:  R8 at Grattan.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  833.4 KB
and this strictly on track.
Name:  Race car at Grattan.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  344.4 KB
And she's pretty fast as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Sick!!!

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
Scott_in_FL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR

LOL, anyone who has spent time in and around SoFla knows what I'm talking about. It's nothing against the car, but rather the group of individuals that have unfortunately gravitated to it in this area. You can tell they are not "car people" at all. You ask them about the car and they have no idea what to say.

It's kinda like the Maserati Gran Turismo group. I have a business colleague who just bought the GTS version, which is also a beautiful car, and all he can talk about is how he loves to rev the engine in his driveway. He wouldn't know (or care about) how it brakes and gets into a turn, but I guess that's not important to him. And that's where the rub comes in. Great car, sure, but attracts people that I have nothing in common with (and trust me when I say I'm a genuine car guy --- former motorcycle racer, track junkie, love all things fast).

The M5 is just my latest stop on a list of great enthusiast cars. When I was contemplating the next car (which needs to be a 4-dr so that the wife and daughter can go on sporting weekend drives with me), I wanted a pure sports sedan. Over the last 15 years or so, I always noticed that the M guys on the highway were always the first to pick a race with me no matter what I was driving --- especially the M3 drivers! So, M5 was immediately at the top of the list. Panamera was instantly dropped from the list when I noticed that most are driven by 60-yo women, and AMG just feels like it wants to be an M (M started it all in this segment). As it turns out, M3 and M5 seem to be the last place for real car enthusiasts (and it always has been). I hope it stays that way (btw, M6 GC doesn't appeal to me because it also feels like its priority is to be a pretty car for people who that is important to).

So, back to the R8, I admit that it is a very pretty car and I enjoy looking at them every time I see one. I'll catch up on my reading tonight re: the GT version.

Last edited by Scott_in_FL; 04-29-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #27
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Just picked it up and drove it to the office! What a day .. stunning outside. Cab top, V10, perfect steering, perfect looks, and perfect feeling. Its not too wild, its not too crazy, just enough. Feels so solid - built right and I can't say enough about the steering and the brakes. The R Tronic is a little choppy on slow speeds so you have to take your foot off the gas slightly and drive around it. Outside of that this car is magical and compliments the ///M like a match made in heaven! Feel very luck and grateful to have the opportunity to drive these super machines we all have access to.

Thanks everyone for enthusiasm and great compliments. Much appreciated and shows what an awesome forum this is.
      04-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Just picked it up and drove it to the office! What a day .. stunning outside. Cab top, V10, perfect steering, perfect looks, and perfect feeling. Its not too wild, its not too crazy, just enough. Feels so solid - built right and I can't say enough about the steering and the brakes. The R Tronic is a little choppy on slow speeds so you have to take your foot off the gas slightly and drive around it. Outside of that this car is magical and compliments the ///M like a match made in heaven! Feel very luck and grateful to have the opportunity to drive these super machines we all have access to.

Thanks everyone for enthusiasm and great compliments. Much appreciated and shows what an awesome forum this is.

Nice acquisition, I too just got an R8V10 non vert though (3 weeks ago)... I did the tune, exhaust, lowering and some cosmetics already and the R tronic isnt so choppy as you stated anymore. I never lift up on the pedal much like I never did on my E63 V10 M6. If you drive in sport and press it hard it will shift fast. The tune definitely assisted here.

Once, if you decide, you change the exhaust you will be in heaven- F1 heaven.

I love the car and can see how you love yours too.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Nice acquisition, I too just got an R8V10 non vert though (3 weeks ago)... I did the tune, exhaust, lowering and some cosmetics already and the R tronic isnt so choppy as you stated anymore. I never lift up on the pedal much like I never did on my E63 V10 M6. If you drive in sport and press it hard it will shift fast. The tune definitely assisted here.

Once, if you decide, you change the exhaust you will be in heaven- F1 heaven.

I love the car and can see how you love yours too.
Thanks Vic, most appreciated. Not sure how much more I can tune the GT but I think it already has the exhaust but will look into it. I drove it again a while ago and loved it!