06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueCheese
Anger leads to poor decision-making an unpredictability on the roads, and even worse, cuts down on the amount of planning that you can do ahead of your current position. Unpredictable drivers make everyone behind them slow down, which makes traffic worse. If you can't just press the lol pedal harder until the person annoyed with you is no longer anywhere near you, then you either have to box them in to slower moving traffic, or you give them the "I'm sorry, I know that was a dick move" look and hope that defuses the situation. Then everyone can get back to driving sensibly and quicker.

Look at your journey today - did you honestly gain anything that you didn't lose waiting at traffic lights? It's just not worth fighting in traffic. Plan for long-cuts - alternative routes that are less direct or longer, but that take you through fewer lights. They're frequently quicker.

Plan ahead, drive smooth, drive around, get there quicker and calmer.
This was on interstate 5 heavy traffic. 60mph. Torture.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
i forgot to ask, are you sure you didn't have the d**k move/M2 button depressed, like you did when passing me on the right in Germany?
No. Again it was heavy freeway traffic. Speed was def not a factor.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
UniqueCheese
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Was: F10 M5, Now: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
This was on interstate 5 heavy traffic. 60mph. Torture.
Worst of both worlds then. You're not going to make time, but you're still being held up.

At least you knew he wasn't going to get out of his car and do something stupid.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Don't you think you could have cut him off accidentally or driven not-so-calmly so he got upset? Or did he flip you off for no reason?

Anyway, I'm going to go with the do nothing crowd. It's always better to ignore other angry drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #27
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Ten years ago, maybe even 5, I would followed him home - Ive gotten out on many occasions when a-holes cut me off etc. and just gone nuts on them, verbally, not physically. People seem to shrink and hide in their cars just like some people talk a big game on the internet hiding behind their PCs when actually confronted. If youre going to flip someone off, cut them off, or worse purposely try to damage their car like you had happen, u better have the balls to get out of your car and do something about it, because if you dont, its going to be really awkward when youre stuck at a light side by side with nothing to say.

Ive chilled out a LOT, thanks mostly to my wife, and I have to say the M5 has really calmed me down. I like to just cruise in the right lane now on the highways with spirited driving when the lanes are open. Mashing it (only to 4500 rpm) at on ramps is really fun too. But I never tail people, cut them off or race them like I used to in my M3 (e46 M3 so it was a long time ago). I used to be an ahole on the road, I'll be the first to admit it, but Ive grown up a lot I think. My wife sums it up nicely when people try to race or tail me "what do you have to prove? Youre driving an M5." Thats not to say the M5 is the King of the Road, but how many nicer cars are going to engage you in the same fashion?

You got an M5, hes got a 14 year old car you wouldnt even use as your beater, count your blessings and move on I say. You never really know what nut job is behind the wheel and if theyre actually willing to do something really stupid, but my bet is you got a LOT more to lose than him.
      06-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Did the patient survive?
Yes.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Ten years ago, maybe even 5, I would followed him home - Ive gotten out on many occasions when a-holes cut me off etc. and just gone nuts on them, verbally, not physically. People seem to shrink and hide in their cars just like some people talk a big game on the internet hiding behind their PCs when actually confronted. If youre going to flip someone off, cut them off, or worse purposely try to damage their car like you had happen, u better have the balls to get out of your car and do something about it, because if you dont, its going to be really awkward when youre stuck at a light side by side with nothing to say.

Ive chilled out a LOT, thanks mostly to my wife, and I have to say the M5 has really calmed me down. I like to just cruise in the right lane now on the highways with spirited driving when the lanes are open. Mashing it (only to 4500 rpm) at on ramps is really fun too. But I never tail people, cut them off or race them like I used to in my M3 (e46 M3 so it was a long time ago). I used to be an ahole on the road, I'll be the first to admit it, but Ive grown up a lot I think. My wife sums it up nicely when people try to race or tail me "what do you have to prove? Youre driving an M5." Thats not to say the M5 is the King of the Road, but how many nicer cars are going to engage you in the same fashion?

You got an M5, hes got a 14 year old car you wouldnt even use as your beater, count your blessings and move on I say. You never really know what nut job is behind the wheel and if theyre actually willing to do something really stupid, but my bet is you got a LOT more to lose than him.
I was caught by surprise. I didn't recall doing anything to him. Just the honking and bird flipping. Set me off. I couldn't contain myself.

Sound advice from everyone on this board. Ignore and move on. Bam.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
Rich65
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Singapore Grey M5

Yep.. Usually best to just ignore them. If only BMW would consider offering a green hornet option you wouldn't haft to flip anyone off..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  127.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Yes.
Good - then that is what is the most important.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]

Although I recommend .50 cals, this is how I prefer to handle it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #33
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle50

Although I recommend .50 cals, this is how I prefer to handle it.
^^THIS^^
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #34
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Here is what to do with road rage!
      06-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
HILARIOUS! ROFL!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Was driving my '12 S63 some days ago.. this was on the NJTP though. Moving at high speed, left lane. No cars around me. A beat up red Honda was moving at a faster rate than it should of been (about matching me). The driver went from far right lane and in one motion moved to my left lane, as if trying to take my exact spot on the road. Ended up pushing me onto the shoulder while I was at speed holding the horn down. No counter was made by other driver to avoid accident. I had to quickly move left into shoulder, slow down, and get back into left lane.

Maybe the most pissed off I have ever been on the road. But any action I would of made against this other driver would of been dangerous to my safety and maybe others a quarter mile down the highway.

The Honda driver was Mexican, and driving with his seat all the way back and arm fully extended out to reach the wheel. Wouldn't leave me alone after that happened, even when I slowed to 45. While I was moving that slow I took a quick vid because he was clearly a theif and had intentions of getting into an accident. Not my first time avoiding someone like this but usually its at slow speed and they slam on the brakes in front of you. As if my brakes aren't better? As if my car can't outperform yours in every way?
I couldn't believe this guy was trying what he was trying at such speed.

So to avoid, I only had one option. Use the left pedal to get going quickly (faster than his car could ever reach) and get off at my exit 4 miles down the road. Roads were basically clear of traffic. Thinking about the incident after, this guy was clearly trying to get into an accident. The way he was driving was almost as if to avoid being hit by the airbag.

Unreal. Really pissed me off. With those kind of people you need to keep a clear head and deal with appropriately.
      06-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #37
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Ever since Iv'e had my M5 iv'e experienced numerous people flicking me off for no reason and also many people shouting at me. It gets me everytime LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #38
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
LMFAO!!! give me back my jacket!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #39
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Was driving my '12 S63 some days ago.. this was on the NJTP though. Moving at high speed, left lane. No cars around me. A beat up red Honda was moving at a faster rate than it should of been (about matching me). The driver went from far right lane and in one motion moved to my left lane, as if trying to take my exact spot on the road. Ended up pushing me onto the shoulder while I was at speed holding the horn down. No counter was made by other driver to avoid accident. I had to quickly move left into shoulder, slow down, and get back into left lane.

Maybe the most pissed off I have ever been on the road. But any action I would of made against this other driver would of been dangerous to my safety and maybe others a quarter mile down the highway.

The Honda driver was Mexican, and driving with his seat all the way back and arm fully extended out to reach the wheel. Wouldn't leave me alone after that happened, even when I slowed to 45. While I was moving that slow I took a quick vid because he was clearly a theif and had intentions of getting into an accident. Not my first time avoiding someone like this but usually its at slow speed and they slam on the brakes in front of you. As if my brakes aren't better? As if my car can't outperform yours in every way?
I couldn't believe this guy was trying what he was trying at such speed.

So to avoid, I only had one option. Use the left pedal to get going quickly (faster than his car could ever reach) and get off at my exit 4 miles down the road. Roads were basically clear of traffic. Thinking about the incident after, this guy was clearly trying to get into an accident. The way he was driving was almost as if to avoid being hit by the airbag.

Unreal. Really pissed me off. With those kind of people you need to keep a clear head and deal with appropriately.
Damn Mexicans!

(BTW I'm not racist at all, I'm actually 1/8 Mexican and my girlfriend is Mexican) Haha!

But yeah, stupid Mexicans!

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #40
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Damn Mexicans!

(BTW I'm not racist at all, I'm actually 1/8 Mexican and my girlfriend is Mexican) Haha!

But yeah, stupid Mexicans!
I hope your GF doesnt read the forums - not b shes Mexican but because u get digits in the Abarth!

Last edited by PatrickC23; 06-06-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #41
DMC126
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5/2013 M5 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post

The Honda driver was Mexican....

he was clearly a theif and had intentions of getting into an accident.
Remarkable! You were able to reach those clearly obvious conclusions so quickly.

I envy your extraordinary powers of comprehesion and decision making.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #42
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well OP, not to disrespect you or anything, you said it in your post. You were going as fast as you could with M5 lol. Without your knowing you could have provoked that driver. However, even after Acura's "G.F.Y.S" mouthing, if he continues to express his anger on the road like you explained I would pull my car over in front of him and stop for short "nice conversation"
Appreciate 0