BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

As I mentioned before, I'm rather tall. I even feel cramped in the front seat of large SUV's or 1/2 tons. However, I'm more disappointed in the lack of use of available space in those vehicles.
Before I got my 1M, I sat in the front seat of a 135, and slid the seat forward to a position where I could still drive reasonably comfortably and still accommodate an adult in the back seat. Then I got out and jumped in the back and put the drivers seat to where I just set it. I "fit" back there without too much problem. So, I came to the conclusion that if I can sit back there for about an hour, then my kids can or any other person (excluding my elderly parents) can too.
Moral of the story is, I will fit into any car that I really want to.
Also, there is no way that an M5 would be worse than the mini M.

Last edited by DarthColin; 06-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Added last sentence.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

I talked previously about ingress/egress issues I was facing (even at 6' 2")
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=shaq

Of course a lot of people get to their height in different ways.

For a comfortable ride for a long duration - I definitely treat the M5 as a 1 driver 2 passenger car [as I want the seat behind me empty for comfortable positioning while driving]

Most of my passengers (including my 5'11" wife) have no problem.

If I am not driving (and really, what is the fun in that?) then I can certainly sit in the passenger front and move the seat further forward as I will not need to be bending my knee for throttle control and (more importantly/challengingly) braking.

For spirited driving of any duration then 1 driver and 2 passengers on the passenger side is the max I would take.

To go to 10-20 minutes to lunch/church/etc (aka non-spirited): 1 driver and 3 passengers is completely achievable.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Well I had a good test yesterday. I took my 6'7" son and my 5'11" son and my youngest daughter 5'6" to lunch in my car. It was her graduation from high school yesterday. She is the youngest of 5. My wife went with my sister and brother in law in their car and our middle daughter and oldest daughter didn't make the lunch. So my tall son sat in front and we didn't adjust our seats. The back passengers had no complaints. On the way back my wife rode with us and she sat behind me, again no problems. My wife says the F10 has lot's more room in back than the E60.

So after a good four passenger test, I pronounce the car fit for back seat passengers. I am not putting the kid seat back there though. I have a 5 year old grandson and I did put the kid seat there once so he could ride in the "race car" but that is it. He can ride in my car when he is off the kid seat. Maybe I will allow a booster.

You guys putting little kids in there that kick the back of the front seat are just crazy IMO. Course when I was your age I didn't drive an M5. We had Fords and the like in my early 30s. In my late 30s I started driving better cars. We had a Mercedes wagon in 1993-97 and then got our first Suburban in 98.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
jeeter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Conv. & 2012 X3

I have a question on this. Are there 2 different front seats available? One with ventilation and one without. I sat in an M5 at a dealership and there did not seem to be much legroom behind the drivers seat after I set it for my comfort. The car had the Executive package and therefore the ventilated seats. I'm just wondering if this why some are finding the rear seat legroom fine and others are finding it less than desirable.

jeeter
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 / 2013 SG M5

Mine has ventilated seats too. I think you can configure these with just about any option (minus side bolsters of course ). I did also notice that the leg room isn't too bad, it's just tough to get your feet under the seats back there. Seems the seats are wide and low.
Appreciate 0